Author Topic: If you could change or remove or add 1 thing...  (Read 20004 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: If you could change or remove or add 1 thing...
« Reply #30: October 22, 2012, 12:56:55 PM »
If 500 people really think that way, it should be the easiest thing in the world to accomplish this.

Indeed.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: October 22, 2012, 01:36:08 PM »
If 500 people really think that way, it should be the easiest thing in the world to accomplish this.

then hold a poll among players(preferably who play or played there).

I'd have some objections on interfering with the game like this and so i thought would you...
500 people is a bit rediculous perhaps, most people wouldn't care or just don't want realm specified interventions in the game.

A daimon invasion a (map changing)earthquake or a plague or somehting that would start int he middle of Atamara could perhaps be a better idea.
It could depopulate the island a bit and shake up things.

Then again we should perhaps first think why the Terran CE federation isn't fun for people and how about EC?
Isn't that quite a stagnant island too?

I perosnally believe it will not change anything to intervene, there is a reason that thinsg stagnate, that is the desire of players to sort of win the game.
By winning i mean getting your characters on high positions with lots of power for as long as possible, barley intrested in the real aspects of the game, like true complex social interaction, conflicts, warfare, cultuural and religious difrences and disputes and most of all the values of honour and valour.
People play the game without beeing aware of there own paradigm and play there character as a modern politician or a modern activist or better, a modern banker.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: October 22, 2012, 01:38:54 PM »
I could be wrong, but I think that Tom was suggesting that the players could band together in-game and take out the two countries and not that he would delete the realms if someone managed to collect 500 signatures...

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: October 22, 2012, 01:45:47 PM »
I could be wrong, but I think that Tom was suggesting that the players could band together in-game and take out the two countries and not that he would delete the realms if someone managed to collect 500 signatures...
oooooow yeah :P
I geuss i scanned read this thread a little to fast.

we all know thats not how it works, most players seem to care first about what i mentioned earlier.
There acounts are almost an extensions of them selves.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: October 22, 2012, 01:48:39 PM »

I'm sure you're right.

We should start referring to wars as "CS-weighted polls". Maybe they'd start more easily?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #35: October 22, 2012, 03:44:45 PM »

That's already been tried.... I think the total was about 5-6 realms banded up last I counted.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: October 22, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
I'd remove the CE-Tara Federation from Atamara.

Bam, 500 people more interested in BM again.

Unfortunately, it's entirely possible that he's correct that 500 people would be having more fun, but that they would not all actually support the destruction of CE if they were asked.

Just because taking some particular action might improve someone's lot in life (or in BattleMaster) doesn't mean they themselves recognize that and support the action necessary to do so.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #37: October 22, 2012, 06:16:23 PM »

Exactly.

500 players is pretty much everyone on AT - character count right now: 530 active characters, played by 366 different players - wait, 500 is everyone and then some.

If everyone agreed on this, or even just almost everyone, overthrowing, rebelling, or destroying that federation would be trivial. If it doesn't happen, than apparently enough people support it.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #38: October 22, 2012, 06:19:55 PM »
Just because taking some particular action might improve someone's lot in life (or in BattleMaster) doesn't mean they themselves recognize that and support the action necessary to do so.

That's true.

But we do not know with 100% certainty if it would make the game more fun for everyone.

So what can the people who don't have fun do? Either, change the situation, or go somewhere else. Heck, we have 6 game worlds - why anyone would complain about one being stagnant when there are so many options is beyond me. Sure, you might have a long history in your realm and all that. But what is that worth if the game isn't fun anymore?

Change it or leave. Complaining on the forum doesn't change a thing. If you need to vent so you feel better - that's ok, sometimes we humans just need to talk about something. But if you really want it to change - then make it change.

MediumTedium

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: October 22, 2012, 08:12:08 PM »
It would be awesome if you could kidnap characters as infiltrator.
"If you find you are falling into madness - dive."

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: October 22, 2012, 08:43:59 PM »

True enough. However, I believe there is a distinct difference between an OOC player wanting things to be different, and that player RP'ing their character correctly. Just because the player sees a means of improving the atmosphere, doesn't mean that their character IC will tend toward that action. Without OOC interference its almost impossible for this to be accomplished.

I know exactly the ideal way to accomplish it using OOC influences on IC events, but I also know that without some OOC solidarity with some other major players that it simply won't happen. Thus, we have the current situation.

I'm not complaining personally about the situation because I'm still having plenty of fun, but as one of the leaders on Atamara, I do have concerns about whether some of my knights are having fun.

As far as IC concerns, it really only needs the support of about 20 characters for the current state of the game to continue. That could be as few as 10-20 players which can guarantee a lockdown of the CE-Tara federation. Now, if all other players opposed the situation, removal would be trivial but only if they enacted this IC. However, for those players such as those having knights and lords within CE, Tara, or their allies, it doesn't make great IC sense to want it to happen. Even if they would have more fun in the long term by doing so.

Side Note: Just as 10-15 players working to protect it can make it nearly impossible to stop, if you gave me 9 other players working in an OOC manner, I could easily destroy it as well using purely IC means to affect the change outside of those 9 players. The whole point though is that such action explicitly goes against the social contract.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: October 22, 2012, 09:36:24 PM »
I'd remove the CE-Tara Federation from Atamara.

Bam, 500 people more interested in BM again.

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: October 22, 2012, 10:10:11 PM »
Exactly.

500 players is pretty much everyone on AT - character count right now: 530 active characters, played by 366 different players - wait, 500 is everyone and then some.

If everyone agreed on this, or even just almost everyone, overthrowing, rebelling, or destroying that federation would be trivial. If it doesn't happen, than apparently enough people support it.

http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,3375.0.html

Started a poll. We'll see what we get.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: October 22, 2012, 10:30:29 PM »
Just about shat myself laughing.

No no, this where you say: "AND YOU HAVE MY BOW"
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)