Author Topic: If you could change or remove or add 1 thing...  (Read 20001 times)

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
Re: If you could change or remove or add 1 thing...
« Reply #60: October 29, 2012, 01:19:22 AM »
Looting, right now, is only done when people wish to utterly destroy

...or if they're Makarian.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #61: October 29, 2012, 01:59:52 AM »
That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Humans are named by their parents, not their superiors.

It isn't the character naming the captain, but the player. It'd be useful for continuity and roleplay purposes, purely.

Edit: To clarify...

Let's say I recruit a unit of men with a captain named John. I create RP around the interaction between captain and knight, insofar as there is interaction, and this becomes a core of my roleplay. The unit is left to become a militia unit, but my knight would probably drag the captain along after him in his retinue when recruiting a new unit as the militia unit would be staffed by administrators native to the region it's in (and not mercenaries or foreigners, or whatever.) I recruit a new unit, but this captain is named Ted. Suddenly I need to explain away where John has gone, and then after that, explain away Ted too when I get captain Timmy.

I'd just like the ability to alter a NPC captain's name so that Ted could be John - I could play it as the same man, etc., assuming he has survived that long.

Alternatively, let's say my character is playing in a realm where Viking names are commonplace. Suddenly a captain shows up to lead my unit of murdering, baby-eating marines and his name is 'François' - where the hell did this Frenchman come from? It doesn't fit the theme of things, and there comes a time when "mercenary captain" starts to sound tired and overused.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 02:15:49 AM by Wolfsong »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: October 29, 2012, 03:25:58 AM »
You're the only one who ever sees the name. Or even the fact that you have a captain. If you don't like the name, use whatever name you want. Who cares?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: October 29, 2012, 03:45:49 AM »
You're the only one who ever sees the name. Or even the fact that you have a captain. If you don't like the name, use whatever name you want. Who cares?
Game Engine trumps role play might be why he cares, though your points are true also. Basically, if it was officially said what you said it wouldn't matter but except it might bug a few that it says otherwise though not a huge deal, but the devs don't always agree so just because you say it doesn't make it official policy. (Yeah seems dumb to have an official policy on something like this but doesn't mean it's bad to say, the official stance on this issue is you may role play your unit's captain with whatever name you please.)
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: October 29, 2012, 05:42:40 AM »
I think I would prefer sticking to the name given and being forced to lose the captain with the unit. Incorporating these changes into your story seems like is would help generate a more  organic story. Personal taste I guess..

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #65: October 29, 2012, 05:52:36 AM »
It's not a big enough deal, IMO, to warrant a policy about, or even a code change (even if it was just one or two lines of extra code) given how many other things BM needs. (Players, anyone?) It's just something I think would make the game easier for me personally. I've always been more about the roleplay and world-building than the other aspects of BM, though.

Edit: Admittedly, pretending an already named captain had a different name would be easy as well, but it wouldn't sit well with me to circumvent game mechanics in such a way.

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: October 29, 2012, 12:49:54 PM »
1. The ability to choose a name for your unit's captain once one is found, or have an option to rename them. Would be optional and in addition to the randomization of names already.

What's your name, pardner?

Sylvester Newel, why?

Sylvester?... Newel? ... ... ... I'll call you pardner.  ;D

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: October 29, 2012, 05:42:20 PM »
Gotta agree just rp your captain as a different name. I do all the time. mm If i could change one thing it be to actually keep my captain when I wanted to switch units. That would be nice. Maybe they'd take a leadership hit since they'd not be used to the new combat style.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)