Author Topic: Remove mercenary distance limits  (Read 31043 times)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Remove mercenary distance limits
« Reply #15: October 24, 2012, 01:03:10 AM »
Seems to me like the benefits of setting one's troops as mercenary aren't worth the costs of it... Morale loss reduction doesn't seem to be all that great, if it drops that much at such distances. Imo, the morale loss reduction for mercenaries should be greater on all continents...

Just because an umbrella doesn't work in a pouring thunderstorm, does not mean it's not beneficial to buy one in other circumstances.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: October 24, 2012, 01:06:31 AM »
Just because an umbrella doesn't work in a pouring thunderstorm, does not mean it's not beneficial to buy one in other circumstances.

Just because it'd protect me from light downpours doesn't mean I'd be willing to pay 200$ for one.

I think that the benefit isn't worth the cost. Not that the benefit is never useful if considered alone.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #17: October 24, 2012, 01:08:40 AM »
Just because it'd protect me from light downpours doesn't mean I'd be willing to pay 200$ for one.

I think that the benefit isn't worth the cost. Not that the benefit is never useful if considered alone.

Fair, but also don't expect a $10 dollar umbrella to protect you against all forms of downpour.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: October 24, 2012, 01:38:18 AM »
We get it. I think that's quite enough of the umbrella analogy. Chenier thinks the cost is too high compared to the benefit.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: October 24, 2012, 02:39:17 AM »
If the front lines are too far from your home, then start a new front line closer to home.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: October 24, 2012, 03:12:43 AM »
If the front lines are too far from your home, then start a new front line closer to home.

Wear and tear + distance from banks aren't enough?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakilevo

« Reply #21: October 24, 2012, 03:26:15 AM »

These two things are already devastating...

Well using sea zones can help a lot so not as devastating on testing islands...

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: October 24, 2012, 03:31:05 AM »
These two things are already devastating...

Well using sea zones can help a lot so not as devastating on testing islands...
Embarking costs gold so the distance from bank is still an issue if you let it run too low. Also refit times which is obviously longer when farther away is a huge issue.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: October 24, 2012, 03:35:49 AM »

So... Ruin the long standing roleplay of your neighbor being your closest ally because the game mechanics can't support a conflict that makes perfect sense in game?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: October 24, 2012, 03:53:01 AM »
So... Ruin the long standing roleplay of your neighbor being your closest ally because the game mechanics can't support a conflict that makes perfect sense in game?
Sorry, I didn't realize that the only other realms on the entire island besides Iashalur are Astrum and Aurvandil.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: October 24, 2012, 03:53:51 AM »
Apparently not.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: October 24, 2012, 04:18:37 AM »
Apparently not.
why do you say that? What Chenier was saying I believe is aren't those two things making it difficult enough? It sholdn't be impossible just difficult to do what Iashlur is attempting, IMO.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: October 24, 2012, 04:20:16 AM »
One of the nice things about Dwilight is that a realm on one end cannot project power all the way to the other end.

This isn't a game breaker. It's about a realm that hasn't seen war in ages finally getting one just to find it can't do it. Should Iashalur go back to sitting on its ass farming gold for the next couple of years? This was just the sort of thing to get people in the realm energised again.

Again, we sent 5 nobles to the war, with about 3k cs... Sure it may have a small impact, but its nothing that's outright breaking the game.

As I said in my original post, I don't see the need for restrictions at all, for the mercenary setting. But if it has to remain, at least mitigate the morale penalty! I'd gladly pay 75% gold more than usual for it. Hell, I'd pay 150% more for it, just to get the chance to be in battles. It's not like there aren't real, historical precedents for campaigns of this kind, over a longer distance than the one Iashalur currently faces.

What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: October 24, 2012, 04:51:41 AM »
BattleMaster is not a hisorical simulator. The restrictions on long distance warfare is part of the game design.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: October 24, 2012, 04:54:32 AM »
BattleMaster is not a hisorical simulator. The restrictions on long distance warfare is part of the game design.
but this isn't just restricting it, it is preventing it in this case. As in, making nearly impossible compared to just difficult.
― G.K. Chesterton