Author Topic: BattleMaster Academy  (Read 13477 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: BattleMaster Academy
« Reply #16: October 26, 2012, 05:08:56 AM »
I'd be delighted to see this revived, and would be happy to contribute.  My life, as some of you know, has been pretty crazy for the last while, but I strongly felt and feel that anything we can do to bridge the knowledge gap between experienced and new players is a good thing.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: October 26, 2012, 07:45:24 AM »
hm. Just went and read my food article.

Suppose I can write a new one maybe for the current system... but I'd need somebody to fill me in on rot/warehouse stuff. I've not dealt with that very much personally.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: October 26, 2012, 11:03:14 AM »
Alexander the Great became ruler at 20, and launched his campaign in Asia Minor when he was 22; he was unbeaten in battle.

Ok mentioning the age was not a good move. I'm just saying that most of the good players of this game learned it by trial and error and asking IC to other good players, and I think this is something that makes the game cool. You can't find "how to" videos on youtube for battlemaster, and even the help pages are not always that helpful.

Clearly if a good manual helps player retention I would withdraw all my critics, but I am not sure that's going to be the case.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: October 26, 2012, 03:20:24 PM »
Ok mentioning the age was not a good move. I'm just saying that most of the good players of this game learned it by trial and error and asking IC to other good players, and I think this is something that makes the game cool. You can't find "how to" videos on youtube for battlemaster, and even the help pages are not always that helpful.

Clearly if a good manual helps player retention I would withdraw all my critics, but I am not sure that's going to be the case.

This argument seems to boil down to, "Hey, I had to go through hell to find this stuff out, so there's no way I'm helping anyone else find it out easier! Let them go through what I went through!"

From where I sit, this is all just sensible information. The kind of thing that should, from an IC perspective, be available from any good tutor or well-stocked library. No one should have to go through lots of IC rigamarole to get it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: October 26, 2012, 04:02:54 PM »
This argument seems to boil down to, "Hey, I had to go through hell to find this stuff out, so there's no way I'm helping anyone else find it out easier! Let them go through what I went through!"

I think he rather meant that he liked to have this sort of mentor-pupil relationship IC in stead of on the forums, which does make sense but I think it'd just be a lot more convenient to have this info available OOC.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: October 26, 2012, 04:42:15 PM »
I think he rather meant that he liked to have this sort of mentor-pupil relationship IC in stead of on the forums, which does make sense but I think it'd just be a lot more convenient to have this info available OOC.

Yes, that's what I mean. However,

The kind of thing that should, from an IC perspective, be available from any good tutor or well-stocked library. No one should have to go through lots of IC rigamarole to get it.

seems quite reasonable after all. Still, the difference between a guide on the wiki and a section where people ask for tips on how to defeat sirion (random example!) is maybe small, but there.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: October 26, 2012, 04:44:17 PM »
seems like this would be good wiki material?

egamma

« Reply #24: October 26, 2012, 06:15:05 PM »
seems like this would be good wiki material?

I think most of it's on the wiki already, but people like the forum format better.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: October 26, 2012, 08:23:24 PM »
I think I like Solari's take better, myself.  I'm always better answering questions than trying to write up something on a topic.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: October 26, 2012, 09:23:26 PM »
Same.

But will anyone ask anything?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #27: October 26, 2012, 09:27:01 PM »
Same.

But will anyone ask anything?

What is your deepest and darkest secret?  Spill the beans!  Ya'll.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #28: October 26, 2012, 11:05:35 PM »
I think most of it's on the wiki already, but people like the forum format better.

!@#$ 'em. I am dead serious. This is what the wiki is for. The forum is a horrible place to find stuff, because after a while it will be buried, and I do not guarantee that we won't clean out old threads some time.

This is what the wiki is for. And you have a lot more formating options, can put stuff into subpages, link between them. Really. Whoever wants to put tutorial-stuff into the forum is seriously short on clues.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #29: October 26, 2012, 11:16:53 PM »
My ego went up a tick as I looked through the wiki for all references to Gustav Kuriga...