Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Adventurer turned Noble

Started by Zakilevo, September 19, 2012, 07:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zakilevo

How does that work? I remember someone saying once they turned noble, they considered as nobles to start with. But some people are telling me, if they were commoners, they would be considered as ex-commoners.

Anaris

Right. They were never commoners, just nobles whose noble blood was not recognized.

In BattleMaster, there is no such thing as a transition between noble and common. Either you're born noble, or your not. Nobility is all about blood.

So, commoners never become nobles. They just have their nobility recognized.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

Quote from: Anaris on September 19, 2012, 07:23:02 PM
Right. They were never commoners, just nobles whose noble blood was not recognized.

In BattleMaster, there is no such thing as a transition between noble and common. Either you're born noble, or your not. Nobility is all about blood.

I see. Thanks Tim for the quick answer :)

Draco Tanos

There is, of course, nothing that would prohibit other nobles from refusing to recognize that the Advy-turned-noble is a true noble and not just one who usurped the name of a noble House.

LilWolf

Quote from: Draco Tanos on September 19, 2012, 08:05:36 PM
There is, of course, nothing that would prohibit other nobles from refusing to recognize that the Advy-turned-noble is a true noble and not just one who usurped the name of a noble House.

The game says he's a noble so he is a noble. No amount of denying from anyone is going to change that and I'd expect fines levied and duels to be fought if you go saying something stupid like that in public.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Zakilevo

Quote from: LilWolf on September 19, 2012, 08:18:32 PM
The game says he's a noble so he is a noble. No amount of denying from anyone is going to change that and I'd expect fines levied and duels to be fought if you go saying something stupid like that in public.

That is exactly what happened in Dunnera and now Dobromir wants Dunnera dead for that.

Bedwyr

Quote from: LilWolf on September 19, 2012, 08:18:32 PM

I'd expect wars to be fought over it.  But I don't think there's any reason people can't claim whatever they like.  There's no prohibition on lying in the game, after all, and if you want to have your character mutter "Yes, well, House Kepler accepts him, but you know how tenuous their claims to nobility are anyway..." then please do so.  Just expect there to be serious wars over it.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Velax

There should be wars and duels over it. Often doesn't happen, though. One of my characters has repeated claimed a particular noble and his family had peasant blood running through their veins and they must have murdered some noble and stolen his armour, but the coward still refuses a duel.

Foundation

Cowards deserve to be hang... wait. :P
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Chenier

Quote from: Velax on September 20, 2012, 03:19:47 AM
There should be wars and duels over it. Often doesn't happen, though. One of my characters has repeated claimed a particular noble and his family had peasant blood running through their veins and they must have murdered some noble and stolen his armour, but the coward still refuses a duel.

Yea. There SHOULD be. I wouldn't expect it, however.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Sonya

Quote from: Anaris on September 19, 2012, 07:23:02 PM

I have been looking for background info for my Adventurer character, i do plan to turn into a noble, but i don't want to use the idea of recognized blood.

Is true that you can be recognize as a noble by blood when you are on your land, but on foreign land you can use a false documentation.

So for Role Play purpose I want my character to rise to Nobility with a False Title.

thoughts?

Anaris

Quote from: Sonya on October 30, 2012, 03:12:56 AM
I have been looking for background info for my Adventurer character, i do plan to turn into a noble, but i don't want to use the idea of recognized blood.

Is true that you can be recognize as a noble by blood when you are on your land, but on foreign land you can use a false documentation.

So for Role Play purpose I want my character to rise to Nobility with a False Title.

The game (and the devs) don't actually care if your adventurer-turned-noble actually has noble blood.

All we care about is that the reason they are elevated to nobility is that everyone thinks they have noble blood. ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Sonya

It will somewhat the same way you buy the claim from a city that is not yours:

Recommendations
Favors
Lot of Money
Good Planing
People in the Shadows, etc.

And the best part will be to play out like a noble, and of course, no contact with people who knows the family.

From the outside will be a noble, from inside RP, will be a commoner with:
A couple of friends and hired mercenaries who passed as Personal guard
A farmer who know to read a little as scribe
A blind old man as Squire
Armor and sword lend by a friend with store.  ;D
Pick a couple of Brothel girl as healers
Scout? sure! that beggar from the town

No one will recognize us with nice clothes and a fabricated accent!