Author Topic: Infiltrator's Camouflage  (Read 2678 times)

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Infiltrator's Camouflage
« Topic Start: November 09, 2012, 09:33:32 AM »
Usually, The only nobles without unit are Traders, Priest and Infiltrators and maybe some diplomat. The thing is all this club-class but infiltrators are public, so this not make very easy to be 'in the shadows'. You have a big sign with an pointing arrow: 'Probable Infiltrator'.  :P

I think it could be useful for Infiltrators have their sub-class not hidden, but changed to one of the others unit-less class... The infiltrator would chose if he want to be seen as a plain warrior or as a trader, diplomat, or priest...

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Infiltrator's Camouflage
« Reply #1: November 09, 2012, 09:35:38 AM »
There is a very easy way to camouflage your status: hire a unit.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 09, 2012, 11:59:37 AM »
Well... yes... in your own realm you can do it. But on others realms it would be a bit... inconvenient.

And If you are an Infiltrator it's logical you try to look like some kind of trader, or diplomatic.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 09, 2012, 12:05:39 PM »
Well... yes... in your own realm you can do it. But on others realms it would be a bit... inconvenient.

That's because your unit is too small. Having a unit is always convenient when it's of the right size. :-)

I don't think your idea is bad however, but it should be limited to actual subclasses. You can't fake being a priest, but you should be able to fake being a diplomat (not ambassador, of course). However you don't get any options, and if the banker starts ordering you to perform trades because you're a trader, then you should be on your own trying to explain that.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 09, 2012, 02:26:05 PM »

And If you are an Infiltrator it's logical you try to look like some kind of trader, or diplomatic.
Also, I am a trader and I always have a unit. It's good for several reasons. First and foremost, it protects me from pirates, which is somewhat my fault because I could just convert most of it to bonds, but I prefer having somewhat equal amounts. Second, it's a good way to meet people of foreign realms, be it through monster hunting where I am directly aiding their realm, or if they are just a bit nervous of a guy with a unit from a different realm they might ask what my business, which is trading. Third, if I am back in my realm I can easily aid the army while I am there.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 09, 2012, 02:50:19 PM »
This is one of the things we've been tossing around in the dev team for a while.

It may yet happen, but don't hold your breath. (Too much other stuff that's more important ;D )
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 09, 2012, 11:32:32 PM »
That's because your unit is too small. Having a unit is always convenient when it's of the right size. :-)

I don't think your idea is bad however, but it should be limited to actual subclasses. You can't fake being a priest, but you should be able to fake being a diplomat (not ambassador, of course). However you don't get any options, and if the banker starts ordering you to perform trades because you're a trader, then you should be on your own trying to explain that.

Yes, no options. It would be only from a 'outside' point of view... only some noble lists.

This is one of the things we've been tossing around in the dev team for a while.

It may yet happen, but don't hold your breath. (Too much other stuff that's more important ;D )

Hey!... I can hold my breath a reaaaally long time!  ;)