Author Topic: Council Power  (Read 33499 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Council Power
« Reply #75: July 05, 2011, 03:22:59 AM »
How about we give a nice whack to a lords honour (not prestige) for changing allegiance?

You could do that, but I've noticed that very few players actually care about either stat
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: July 05, 2011, 03:38:02 AM »
You could do that, but I've noticed that very few players actually care about either stat

I do  :-[
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: July 05, 2011, 03:43:27 AM »
I, for one, would love it if dukes granted small morale and control boosts when in regions of their duchy. Would incite lords to switch to a duchy that actually cares about them, rather than everyone piling onto the duchy of the capital so that maintenance work is always the most effective.

And all of this with an incentive, instead of a penalty.

Perhaps give the duke the capacity to hold a court in regions of his duchy, too?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: July 05, 2011, 05:30:46 AM »
Y'see, both of those disincentives Dukes from going to fight beyond his Duchy or realm borders. In effect, if he stays at home more and does courtier-style work, his regions will do better and more Lords will be inclined to switch to him to take advantage of a Duke that isn't fighting with a realm's main armies. It does, however, give a fairly legitimate reason for a lord to change if his Duke is just sitting in his city, all day, every day.

Just a thought.

Finton.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: July 05, 2011, 05:55:07 AM »
Y'see, both of those disincentives Dukes from going to fight beyond his Duchy or realm borders. In effect, if he stays at home more and does courtier-style work, his regions will do better and more Lords will be inclined to switch to him to take advantage of a Duke that isn't fighting with a realm's main armies. It does, however, give a fairly legitimate reason for a lord to change if his Duke is just sitting in his city, all day, every day.

Just a thought.

Finton.

Suggest a mechanic that would advantage military presence from the duchy while not encouraging every region to simply align to the capital? And via positive incentives, not negative incentives. Or a switch as compensation, such as if "distance from the capital" penalties for non-cities were instead switched for "distance from the ducal seat".
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #80: July 05, 2011, 06:13:06 AM »
Suggest a mechanic that would advantage military presence from the duchy while not encouraging every region to simply align to the capital? And via positive incentives, not negative incentives. Or a switch as compensation, such as if "distance from the capital" penalties for non-cities were instead switched for "distance from the ducal seat".

I have thought of something similar, a bonus to regions based on their distance to the Duchy city, which would be influenced itself by the distance of the Duchy city to the capital. Alternatively keep the current distance from capital thing, but also add a small bonus based on Duchy, maybe have it be influenced by the distance to the Duchy City and the current stats of the city.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: July 05, 2011, 01:25:12 PM »
I have thought of something similar, a bonus to regions based on their distance to the Duchy city, which would be influenced itself by the distance of the Duchy city to the capital. Alternatively keep the current distance from capital thing, but also add a small bonus based on Duchy, maybe have it be influenced by the distance to the Duchy City and the current stats of the city.

If you add it on top, then that's bad, as it's just *more* penalties. We should strive to have such limits remain the same at worse, or lower.

Distance from duchy could have stronger effects than distance from capital, as long as it only results in a greater burden if all regions swear in to the capital, while in a lower burden if all swear in to the closest city, in order to average out to something quite reasonable. After all, distance from the capital is becoming much harsher than it once was, with the estate systems, as these border cities used to only have those penalties apply to them while they now are usually the ones with the least knights too. And the distance from capital penalties were also applied before income was regionalized. Another example of how behaviour-influencing mechanics became harsher and harsher with time due to them stacking with ever more of them.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: July 06, 2011, 12:05:13 AM »
If you add it on top, then that's bad, as it's just *more* penalties. We should strive to have such limits remain the same at worse, or lower.

Distance from duchy could have stronger effects than distance from capital, as long as it only results in a greater burden if all regions swear in to the capital, while in a lower burden if all swear in to the closest city, in order to average out to something quite reasonable. After all, distance from the capital is becoming much harsher than it once was, with the estate systems, as these border cities used to only have those penalties apply to them while they now are usually the ones with the least knights too. And the distance from capital penalties were also applied before income was regionalized. Another example of how behaviour-influencing mechanics became harsher and harsher with time due to them stacking with ever more of them.

My idea is a BONUS that is based on distance, not a penalty as currently implemented. If we leave the current penalty for distance from capital, then the bonuses for being close to the Duchy City would help offset that somewhat.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: July 06, 2011, 03:31:40 AM »
My idea is a BONUS that is based on distance, not a penalty as currently implemented. If we leave the current penalty for distance from capital, then the bonuses for being close to the Duchy City would help offset that somewhat.

That's certainly an idea.

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: July 06, 2011, 07:05:05 PM »
I have to ask, what about the regions closest to the capital? No distance punishment but instead, presumably, a bonus for being close to the Duchy seat? I should state that I'm not necessarily saying this would be a bad thing. After all, shouldn't regions near the capital actively benefit from that proximity? The center of power for a vast realm. 'Course, it'd suck to be me. My Knights are practically as far away from the capital as possible.

Wonder if that speaks to my psychology.

Finton.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: July 07, 2011, 12:07:06 AM »
I have to ask, what about the regions closest to the capital? No distance punishment but instead, presumably, a bonus for being close to the Duchy seat? I should state that I'm not necessarily saying this would be a bad thing. After all, shouldn't regions near the capital actively benefit from that proximity? The center of power for a vast realm. 'Course, it'd suck to be me. My Knights are practically as far away from the capital as possible.

Wonder if that speaks to my psychology.

Finton.

Meh, if it's unbalanced, we could just have this bonus apply only to non-capital-duchy regions, as they already don't suffer from distance from the capital anyways.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #86: July 07, 2011, 12:59:12 AM »
A boost to the regions that form you "core" Duchy seems okay to me, it would be a question of balance. Could the bonus be significant enough to actually matter to the other duchies without making those regions close to the capital outrageously good. If the bonus was related to control and morale it wouldn't really matter anyway, since regions close to the capital tend to be in tip top shape.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: July 07, 2011, 03:50:18 AM »
A boost to the regions that form you "core" Duchy seems okay to me, it would be a question of balance. Could the bonus be significant enough to actually matter to the other duchies without making those regions close to the capital outrageously good. If the bonus was related to control and morale it wouldn't really matter anyway, since regions close to the capital tend to be in tip top shape.

Yes.

Just don't give any duchy-bonus to the capital duchy.

This would discourage the "region-piling" that is done by some realms as a means of crippling potential secessions. Only give the ducal-seat-proximity bonus to non-capital duchies (or capital duchies in one-duchy realms). This would simultaneously allow for larger realms if they efficiently arranged their duchies. Not sure how I feel about that.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: July 07, 2011, 03:52:25 AM »
Yes.

Just don't give any duchy-bonus to the capital duchy.

This would discourage the "region-piling" that is done by some realms as a means of crippling potential secessions. Only give the ducal-seat-proximity bonus to non-capital duchies (or capital duchies in one-duchy realms). This would simultaneously allow for larger realms if they efficiently arranged their duchies. Not sure how I feel about that.

So long as a upper limit still exists for realms it should all work out in the end :)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #89: July 08, 2011, 04:30:54 AM »
So long as a upper limit still exists for realms it should all work out in the end :)

Problem is, as a realm conquered more ducal centers, controlling more lands would be easier.

Large realms in areas of mostly rurals would be identical as it is now. Large realms in duchy-dense areas (FEI, southern EC, parts of Dwilight) would be much easier. FOr example: under this system, D'Hara's maintenance issues would be greatly simplified, while Morek would probably enjoy little benefit.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner