Author Topic: Rules?  (Read 1884 times)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Rules?
« Topic Start: November 08, 2012, 01:05:48 PM »
While reading the forum I have come across a few 'rules' that I can not easily find elsewhere. Examples are Strategic Successions, Strategic Capital Moves and Realm Mergers. I do not claim to fully understand these rules. What concerns me is that I can not recall encountering any mention of these rules when I signed up. I can not seem to find mention of these rules in the game or on the wiki. They may be there but they are certainly not easily accessible. From what I have read on the forums, breaking these rules can result in corrective action against a player.

If these rules are real and enforced I would think that, at a minimum, players should be made aware of them in game. Beyond that, players should be able to easily find them. Best of all, in my opinion, the game should be coded in such a way that these rules are not needed. In some cases, I question the need for the ruled - likely due to the fact that I do not understand them and can not find a lot of official info on them.

It may be that i am completely in error on regarding some or all of this. If I am, that is cool. Educate me!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Rules?
« Reply #1: November 08, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »
They are available on the Rules and Policies page on the Wiki.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 08, 2012, 01:15:46 PM »
Wonderful!

Is this presented to players during account creation? Or are players made aware of all this in some other fashion. Some of that is familiar (Social Contract, Inalienable Rights, Humans Only, Most of the rest is new to me.

Why are the rules against Strategic Successions and Capitol moves needed at all? As long as the options are equally accessible to all realms I do not understand the issue.

When it comes to Friendly Mergers, it seems like that should be more like something to be coded in instead of a rule. Why is it handled as it is?

Thanks for that link!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 08, 2012, 01:20:30 PM »
Wonderful!

Is this presented to players during account creation? Or are players made aware of all this in some other fashion. Some of that is familiar (Social Contract, Inalienable Rights, Humans Only, Most of the rest is new to me.

I'm honestly not sure offhand. I know we talked about making sure it was well-known and easily accessible when we put the page together, but I don't recall the results of that.

Why are the rules against Strategic Successions and Capitol moves needed at all? As long as the options are equally accessible to all realms I do not understand the issue.

First of all, they are not equally accessible to all realms. When one realm has a city at the front and the other does not, that becomes a severe imbalance.

Second, they are in part protecting the milieu. The game-mechanic restriction that you can only recruit in the capital is for OOC reasons; thus, moving the capital or seceding because of it would be for OOC reasons, and thus something your character would never do.

When it comes to Friendly Mergers, it seems like that should be more like something to be coded in instead of a rule. Why is it handled as it is?

It was coded in. We goofed when changing some code over ;D

It will be fixed shortly, if it is not yet.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 08, 2012, 01:24:06 PM »
I'm honestly not sure offhand. I know we talked about making sure it was well-known and easily accessible when we put the page together, but I don't recall the results of that.

Well, it is linked to on the main page of the wiki. That's a very good start. I remember that's one of the first things I read back then.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #5: November 08, 2012, 01:51:20 PM »
Well, it is linked to on the main page of the wiki. That's a very good start. I remember that's one of the first things I read back then.

Hmm, I do not remember ever seeing that page.  I'd still say it needs more attention.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.