Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Repairing unique items

Started by MacTowas, November 30, 2012, 01:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacTowas

I repaired my first unique item for a noble yesterday using my adventurer character. Unfortunately the repair only increased the item condition from 20% to 35%. The item was at about 35% condition when I originally received it from the noble so it's not been a success!

I had expected the item to be fully repaired once the sage had worked his magic, are the increases in item condition always so small? If so can you ever realistically fully repair an item as it's taken me close to 2 months to find the sage, find the item he needed and then find him again to conduct the repairs!

Anaris

Now that you've found him, it shouldn't be that difficult to keep track of his travel while you find the other items you need to continue repairing it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

MacTowas

True it didn't take long to find the sage after I'd found the item as I had an idea of his whereabouts from before.

The problem is finding the item required to repair the unique item. As far as I know gathering is the only way to obtain the items required for repairs (or occasionally from hunting) and it is extremely time consuming. My concern is that by the time I've found the item required to repair the unique item once more, the unique item will have deteriorated again meaning my repair puts me back to its current condition!

Anaris

I believe that the most recommended method is to build up a very large collection of common items before you begin repairing uniques.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

MacTowas

I think you're right as it is too time consuming to gather them while the item is degrading.

Do all repairs lead to a 15% increase in an unique items condition or does this vary?

Shizzle

Quote from: MacTowas on November 30, 2012, 02:04:52 PM
I think you're right as it is too time consuming to gather them while the item is degrading.

Do all repairs lead to a 15% increase in an unique items condition or does this vary?

No, it varies. I suppose it depends on the quality of the item (extent of the bonuses it provides). I've repaired from 40ish to 100% before, though I've also had 10% or less.

And yes, building up and maintaining a large set of items is a must. Make sure to gather items 2 hours at a time, and rest when your fatigue gets too high. Also you'll find that certain items can only be found in certain areas (oak bark in forest regions, expensive toys in cities for instance).

This might be of use: http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Adventurer/Items

MacTowas

Thanks for the help guys.

Why gather items at 2 hour at a time and not an 8 or 12 hour block (assuming you have 0 fatigue)?

egamma

Quote from: MacTowas on November 30, 2012, 02:19:24 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

Why gather items at 2 hour at a time and not an 8 or 12 hour block (assuming you have 0 fatigue)?

Because a lot of players have a logical fallacy that doing something more times will be better. The game is specifically coded to not have require that sort of silliness.

MacTowas

Sorry I still don't understand.

Logically whether I gather items 2 hours at a time 6 times in succession or gather items 12 hours continuously there should be no real difference? There's a probability of success each hour and the more hours you attempt it your chances of finding something should increase?

Unless the game is coded to decrease your chances of success for each hour you gather consecutively?

Anaris

Quote from: MacTowas on November 30, 2012, 03:22:45 PM
Sorry I still don't understand.

Logically whether I gather items 2 hours at a time 6 times in succession or gather items 12 hours continuously there should be no real difference? There's a probability of success each hour and the more hours you attempt it your chances of finding something should increase?

Unless the game is coded to decrease your chances of success for each hour you gather consecutively?

No, you're correct. There are, however, a number of actions in the game for which many players will swear on a stack of Bibles that you can always get much better results if you do them X times for Y hours, instead of W times for Z hours.

In this case, though, there is actually a grain of truth to it. Gathering is less effective when you have more fatigue, and each hour of gathering increases your fatigue. Thus, if you gather for 2 hours, then rest for 2 hours, you may have better results on your next 2-hour gathering session, simply because you will no longer be at risk of getting the "you were too fatigued to find anything" message.
Timothy Collett

MacTowas

I see, in that case I'll take your advice and revise my gathering techniques!

Thanks for the help!

Lefanis

Quote from: egamma on November 30, 2012, 02:59:06 PM
Because a lot of players have a logical fallacy that doing something more times will be better. The game is specifically coded to not have require that sort of silliness.

Is this also the case with training? If you do three blocks of 4 hours training each turn, I noticed that there is a good chance of success at least once, often twice. 12 hour intervals on the other hand seemed more dicey.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Anaris

Quote from: Lefanis on November 30, 2012, 04:55:14 PM
Is this also the case with training? If you do three blocks of 4 hours training each turn, I noticed that there is a good chance of success at least once, often twice. 12 hour intervals on the other hand seemed more dicey.

What kind of training can you do in 12-hour intervals?
Timothy Collett

Lefanis

Quote from: Anaris on November 30, 2012, 04:57:37 PM
What kind of training can you do in 12-hour intervals?

Ahh, I meant 6 hours at the academy  :-[
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Anaris

Well, I can absolutely guarantee you that adding more hours can never make it less likely to gain skill.

It's also worth remembering that a) you're not guaranteed to gain a point no matter what option you choose, and b) 6 hours is only 1.5x 4 hours (which should not give more than 1.5x the chance of gaining skill).

If you want to prove me wrong, then gather some data. Record each time you visit the academy, including your skill, which trainer, and how many hours (and, of course, whether you gain skill!).
Timothy Collett