Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Realms named after characters

Started by Chenier, December 10, 2012, 04:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indirik

You're not seriously going to start playing the "real definition" card are you?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

Wow.

I just noted the typo.

Wow.

Just... wow.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

NoblesseChevaleresque

Quote from: Indirik on December 11, 2012, 07:39:01 PM
You're not seriously going to start playing the "real definition" card are you?

I was more trying to excuse the typo, which I like on that basis. Better to be Farron than Farrow, and I don't just say that because one of my nobles has the family name Farron. (I'll be damned if Mendicant has to fight a war to put Farron on the Farronite Throne).

Gustav Kuriga

That... uhm.. isn't the part with the typo... *coughs* look at the second word

Telrunya

So THAT is the typo mentioned! Oops! Hopefully for the Republic someone will be so nice to change it, but a good lesson for future Realm creations: Triple-check the name :P

Draco Tanos

You know, that's actually a pretty common typo for Republic.  No idea why.  Freudian, perhaps?

Perth

Quote from: Solari on December 11, 2012, 05:03:56 PM
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Aurvandil/Imperial_Cartographique_Institution

This is literally one of the original causes of friction between the 'Moot and Aurvandil. Or, at least, it really pissed off Terran/'Moot leadership when it was discovered they were doing that.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Eldargard

Really? Terran became upset over the fact that a different country used different names for the same geographical features? Why was that so offensive? Did they try and force Terran to use the same titles?

Chenier

Quote from: Unwin on December 12, 2012, 11:59:55 AM
Really? Terran became upset over the fact that a different country used different names for the same geographical features? Why was that so offensive? Did they try and force Terran to use the same titles?

No, because they started claiming some Barca lands in that cartography.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

And, from an OOC point of view, that's actually a great way to create the sort of friction wars thrive on in BM.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

Quote from: vonGenf on December 12, 2012, 01:11:14 PM
And, from an OOC point of view, that's actually a great way to create the sort of friction wars thrive on in BM.

Sure, just don't act surprised if people are pissed off as a result.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

Quote from: Unwin on December 12, 2012, 11:59:55 AM

In RL, map designations have been cited in numerous international court cases as grounds for establishing claim. Map-drawing was intensely political in the Middle Ages as well.

Publication of geographic designations is INTENSELY political.

They specified part of Barca's lands as part of "Mendicontinent." Them's fightin' words.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

NoblesseChevaleresque

Oh, well that makes more sense, I was under the impression the Moot just decided to have a grudge for a grudges sake.

We didn't claim any new land at all, the point of the Imperial Cartographique institution is to name the geography appropriately, that and to give my players a chance to have some input on the culture and civilisation, and not to lay out our intended political map and realm geography. Anyone who thinks otherwise has missed the point. The Orvandeaux Candiela was decided upon before we were even aware of a Barcan claim over the regions anyway. Declaring the Mendicontinent and the Allo'mere are the closest thing to an outright claim to political dominion, and considering at the time it was made Mendicant was in possession of all the territories, it's not exactly provocative.

NoblesseChevaleresque

Quote from: Vellos on December 12, 2012, 04:12:34 PM
In RL, map designations have been cited in numerous international court cases as grounds for establishing claim. Map-drawing was intensely political in the Middle Ages as well.

Publication of geographic designations is INTENSELY political.

They specified part of Barca's lands as part of "Mendicontinent." Them's fightin' words.

They weren't published at large, they were only ever published within the Aurvandilan University and Noblesse to be discussed and considered, which is why they had only three things on it and the rest unnamed. Of course since we had them up on the wiki everyone else assumed their characters would be in full possession of such knowledge..