Author Topic: Changing character name - allowed?  (Read 4751 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Changing character name - allowed?
« Reply #15: December 17, 2012, 07:23:26 PM »
They could "simply" be made unique by merging their character ID# with the continent ID# they are currently on. No possibility for doubles this way. A new algorithm would need to be made to generate new characters' ID#, but I'm under the impression this would be trivial as well.
Indeed, I would imagine Tom, Tim, or Peter could modify the game DBs and generate unique character IDs in a matter of a few minutes. They are strong in SQL-fu.

Granted though, changing all references to character name for character ID in the code probably isn't that trivial a task at all, however.
Which is really the crux of the problem. Designing a robust system that can track unique IDs over the many separate world DBs, and then retrofitting all the game code to deal with it. I doubt that this is something that could be done on a stable/testing basis. (IOW it would have to go live across the entire game, all at the same time.) The potential for havoc in the event that undetected bugs arise is also very high. I don't know that this would be a coding nightmare, but I have a very strong suspicion.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #16: December 17, 2012, 07:47:17 PM »
Ha.
Ha ha ha.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I don't understand the laughing. World 1, Character 18240, becomes GUID 118240. There's no possibility of a collision.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: December 17, 2012, 07:54:08 PM »
Regardless of technical feasibility, this is something Tom has said will not happen.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: December 17, 2012, 08:15:09 PM »
I don't understand the laughing. World 1, Character 18240, becomes GUID 118240. There's no possibility of a collision.

Indeed...

Despite this not being the core of the problem, as I presumed and Indirik/Anaris confirmed.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: December 17, 2012, 08:22:19 PM »
I get that Global ID's are not happening. What about some kind of notification at player creation to show what continents already have characters with your name and explaining that as long as that character stays there, they will not be allowed to go there at all. Or, optionally, offer the player to change their name if it is discovered that a name conflict occurs. This could be limited to appending a middle name if needed. Any thoughts on these options?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: December 17, 2012, 08:39:31 PM »
I get that Global ID's are not happening. What about some kind of notification at player creation to show what continents already have characters with your name and explaining that as long as that character stays there, they will not be allowed to go there at all. Or, optionally, offer the player to change their name if it is discovered that a name conflict occurs. This could be limited to appending a middle name if needed. Any thoughts on these options?

Make a feature request.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan