Author Topic: Changing character name - allowed?  (Read 4834 times)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Changing character name - allowed?
« Topic Start: December 14, 2012, 06:49:43 AM »
Hey, I want to emigrate a character. However, a character already exists there with the same name. Am I allowed to change his name (maybe adding a number, so from Gilbert to Gilbert II) in this instance? Or it is really exclusively for inappropriateness?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Changing character name - allowed?
« Reply #1: December 14, 2012, 02:06:49 PM »
It really is exclusively for inappropriateness.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 14, 2012, 02:07:59 PM »
Then how can the emigration be handled?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 14, 2012, 02:57:02 PM »
You can't emmigrate to an island that already contains a character of the same name.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 15, 2012, 02:57:06 PM »
Then how can the emigration be handled?

You can create a new character, or emigrate to a different continent.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 15, 2012, 09:56:41 PM »
Is it really that big of a deal that he can't add something trivial to his name to allow the emigration? I just don't understand why a trivial name change can't be done to allow an emigration. I understand not wanting name changes randomly or for a better name/flavor, but it doesn't make sense to not allow it for things like emigration, IMO.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 16, 2012, 12:18:44 AM »
Is it really that big of a deal that he can't add something trivial to his name to allow the emigration? I just don't understand why a trivial name change can't be done to allow an emigration. I understand not wanting name changes randomly or for a better name/flavor, but it doesn't make sense to not allow it for things like emigration, IMO.

Your name is your name. It's not something you just change, however trivially.

Changes are permitted for the preservation of game atmosphere (a purely OOC consideration).

There has also, once, been an exception made for a character who could not emigrate to any other continent, because they all had characters with his name.

However, there is absolutely no guarantee in the BattleMaster rules that you can play on a specific continent, let alone play there with the character of your choice.
Timothy Collett

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 16, 2012, 02:58:27 AM »
Your name is your name. It's not something you just change, however trivially.

Changes are permitted for the preservation of game atmosphere (a purely OOC consideration).

There has also, once, been an exception made for a character who could not emigrate to any other continent, because they all had characters with his name.

However, there is absolutely no guarantee in the BattleMaster rules that you can play on a specific continent, let alone play there with the character of your choice.
An obvious thing would be to add a second name with it that is more of a middle name, ex. Francis Adams Kinsey, interestingly despite your incessant saying that name changing is only for inappropriate naming , his name had the middle name added for no obvious OOC need and long after the character was made, when I looked at his family history. Going to a different continent has many valid reasons for name changes. I need to go so I will edit in some reasons later.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 07:57:39 AM by Penchant »
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 17, 2012, 06:59:33 AM »
I can also see this ruining the fun for players. Someone creates a new character. He picks an awesome name that he loves. He really digs the idea of  Beluaterra but the game does not allow him  to start there. So he starts on the East Island with the intent of traveling to Beluaterra as soon as possible. Moment fianally comes for the trip but - no go. Someone there already has the name. That sucks. This could potentially remove access to a significant portion of the game. Heck, it can even be used to avoid deportation to certain continents. Even worse, though unlikely, I could see this as a way to attack a player by limiting their options and fun. All you need is a group of morally challenged players working together.

I would rather that the game enforce globally unique names. Or, inform the player of any continents that already have characters with their name, and are thus unplayable unless that other character goes away, during character creation. Or present the character with the option of making a name change or not traveling when attempting to go to a continent which already has a character with the dame name.

I do not much care if the game ever claimed to guarantee that I be able to play specific characters on specific continents. Most would never guess this. This has the potential to be such a huge let down that it really needs to be changed or explained up front. Even when looked at in character it is lame: "Sorry my lord. I will not sail you to Beluaterra as word has it there is already another noble there with the same given name as you. How does Dwilight sound to you? Never mind, your third cousin is a knight there. Far East is out too. That leaves Colonies or Atamara. Both are lovely and no nobles have the same given name as you. Of course the fact that your family name is different does not matter! Since when? It has always been this way. No one told you?"

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 17, 2012, 09:50:28 AM »
Does this apply to deportation as well as emigration? Will the Judge get a "Same character already exist on this island, please choose other island for deport" message that this same evil character languishing inside Judge dungeon?

Just wondering will this limit the Judge options for deporting same name character to same island.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 17, 2012, 01:36:28 PM »
I would rather that the game enforce globally unique names. Or, inform the player of any continents that already have characters with their name, and are thus unplayable unless that other character goes away, during character creation. Or present the character with the option of making a name change or not traveling when attempting to go to a continent which already has a character with the dame name.

The idea has come up before. A dev could comment in more details, but the gist of it is that everybody would like that, but it's more complicated than it sounds. The reason is that the game did not have family names at all at first, they were added later, so it really is the first name/continent combination that serves as a unique identifier.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 17, 2012, 01:37:54 PM »
The idea has come up before. A dev could comment in more details, but the gist of it is that everybody would like that, but it's more complicated than it sounds. The reason is that the game did not have family names at all at first, they were added later, so it really is the first name/continent combination that serves as a unique identifier.

We have character IDs that can be used...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 17, 2012, 02:28:50 PM »
The change from character first names to some other identifiers as a global unique ID is a major change. Not something likely to happen.

I suppose there are a lot of theoretical abuses, though they seem a bit absurd to me. I suppose that if anyone ever does manage to severely abuse one, it might push the issue a bit. (Although more likely would be some other punishment to stop the abusers.) Also, this does not stop a player from playing on an island, just a character.

The existing character ID numbers are not globally unique. Just island unique.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: December 17, 2012, 07:01:22 PM »
The change from character first names to some other identifiers as a global unique ID is a major change. Not something likely to happen.

I suppose there are a lot of theoretical abuses, though they seem a bit absurd to me. I suppose that if anyone ever does manage to severely abuse one, it might push the issue a bit. (Although more likely would be some other punishment to stop the abusers.) Also, this does not stop a player from playing on an island, just a character.

The existing character ID numbers are not globally unique. Just island unique.

They could "simply" be made unique by merging their character ID# with the continent ID# they are currently on. No possibility for doubles this way. A new algorithm would need to be made to generate new characters' ID#, but I'm under the impression this would be trivial as well.

Granted though, changing all references to character name for character ID in the code probably isn't that trivial a task at all, however.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: December 17, 2012, 07:22:59 PM »
They could "simply" be made unique by merging their character ID# with the continent ID# they are currently on. No possibility for doubles this way.

Ha.

Ha ha ha.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.