Author Topic: non religious lords penalty  (Read 7386 times)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: non religious lords penalty
« Reply #15: January 02, 2013, 06:17:46 AM »
Perhaps add paganism to the list on the "Show and change official order views of other orders" page? Then each religion can declare for themselves how their order views pagans. That is assuming that this setting is what influences how peasants react to lords of differing faiths. Even if not, it sounds cool to be able to declare pagans evil.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #16: January 02, 2013, 01:42:19 PM »
Paganism is a collective noun for all pagan beliefs, which the game doesn't differentiate from each other. So how cool it might sound, you would be declaring war on all pagan beliefs, which will make your priests job a lot harder. People won't declare war on paganism if it was a game mechanism. It has no benefit. If you want to declare paganism evil, it will be through RP.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: January 02, 2013, 07:50:50 PM »
I am not in agreement but I also do not understand how all the buttons work. I can completely see a religion arrogantly lumping all the little beliefs religions up and declaring them evil. If my understanding of the game mechanics is right, and I am guessing it isn't, there could be great benefit in doing so. I would love a more detailed explanation of how declaring paganism evil would be more harmful to a religion than declaring any other faith evil.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: January 02, 2013, 11:02:12 PM »
I am not in agreement but I also do not understand how all the buttons work. I can completely see a religion arrogantly lumping all the little beliefs religions up and declaring them evil. If my understanding of the game mechanics is right, and I am guessing it isn't, there could be great benefit in doing so. I would love a more detailed explanation of how declaring paganism evil would be more harmful to a religion than declaring any other faith evil.
Converting of peasants is less effective if those peasants are of an evil faith.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: January 03, 2013, 05:29:50 AM »
That makes sense. Here is the big question though... Say you have worked hard and managed to make your religion the dominate religion in several regions. All but one of the region lords are members of your faith. The last is a newly appointed pagan. Would setting the order view towards pagans make that lords job more difficult? If so, it would, to some extent, fulfill the original posters request by making it difficult for a lord to remain pagan. At the same time it is more limited by what the elders of the dominate religion choose and comes with penalties. I could see it as a method of encouraging region lords to join your religion.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: January 03, 2013, 05:37:14 AM »
That makes sense. Here is the big question though... Say you have worked hard and managed to make your religion the dominate religion in several regions. All but one of the region lords are members of your faith. The last is a newly appointed pagan. Would setting the order view towards pagans make that lords job more difficult? If so, it would, to some extent, fulfill the original posters request by making it difficult for a lord to remain pagan. At the same time it is more limited by what the elders of the dominate religion choose and comes with penalties. I could see it as a method of encouraging region lords to join your religion.
If there are enough followers of your religion in the region to have that effect, there is already a mechanic in place for it to provide incentive for them to join your religion. The effect you are going for basically already exists so making pagans evil would mainly only hinder preaching.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: January 03, 2013, 05:57:54 AM »
It would not make the effect more intense?

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: January 03, 2013, 06:29:15 AM »
It would not make the effect more intense?
It could but it wouldn't really be beneficial as having lords join religions for the sole purpose of being a part of a religion is not a good thing. The game needs to provide benefits for having their religion grow, not penalties for them not being a part of a religion.
― G.K. Chesterton

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: January 03, 2013, 07:02:36 AM »
The game would not be applying the penalty. The characters would be doing so. And doing so could backfire or prove more damaging than helpful in some circumstances. Regardless, not terribly important in my opinion. I would really rather see the dev time spent otherwise.