Author Topic: Skill Loss  (Read 2716 times)

Jon Snow

• Knight
  • Eddard, Brandon, and Jon
    • View Profile
Skill Loss
« Topic Start: January 07, 2013, 04:12:37 PM »
I know that skill levels start to fall after 30 years of age. But does the rate of loss increase as your age goes higher, or is it constant.

Also, say, if a character at 30 years had 100% skill in something, how long would it take him to lose all of that skill, assuming that he does absolutely nothing that would train the skill, like courtier work, infiltration, etc.?

Zakilevo

Re: Skill Loss
« Reply #1: January 07, 2013, 08:13:35 PM »
Your skills go down faster as your characters get older and at certain point, it will be difficult for you to maintain high skill levels.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 07, 2013, 08:15:03 PM »
I believe skill loss occurs from the outset of one's career, even at the youngest of age. I also believe that the rate of it does indeed increase as you grow older. Furthermore I should note that being wounded can accelerate the effects of ageing, or perhaps even age itself.

From my experience a character can sit idly a couple months before seeing serious skill degradation. One of my characters went 1-2 months without training or battle and saw only a minor drop in her swordfighting ability (<5%).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 08, 2013, 01:10:58 AM »
Do all skills decrease? Does oratory, for example, decrease?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 08, 2013, 01:51:18 AM »
AFAIK, all skills decay via the same process.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 08, 2013, 01:57:29 AM »
AFAIK, all skills decay via the same process.

Heh... I thought it was only the physical skills.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Jon Snow

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 08, 2013, 04:27:05 AM »
From my experience a character can sit idly a couple months before seeing serious skill degradation. One of my characters went 1-2 months without training or battle and saw only a minor drop in her swordfighting ability (<5%).

Well I guess that's good  :) How old was this character though?

Jon Snow

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 10, 2013, 05:53:13 AM »
I have one more question. Say I have a certain skill that is at 0%, or close enough, and I want to train it to around 60%. Is it better to use the normal tutor at first, then advanced, then expert, or just start out with the expert tutor?

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 10, 2013, 07:41:16 AM »
Well I guess that's good  :) How old was this character though?

24 years old.

I have one more question. Say I have a certain skill that is at 0%, or close enough, and I want to train it to around 60%. Is it better to use the normal tutor at first, then advanced, then expert, or just start out with the expert tutor?

That depends on whether gold or time is more precious to you. Advanced tutors offer an accelerated rate of learning and expert trainers even more so, but I believe it is most cost efficient to train with whichever tutor is appropriate for your skill level.

Jon Snow

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 10, 2013, 04:09:46 PM »

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 10, 2013, 06:15:51 PM »
And if you want to train it to 60 often costs are your biggest issue, unless you have some support from a very wealthy Duke or so.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela