Author Topic: The Future of Atamara (Post-Great Atamaran War)  (Read 112133 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Atamara (Post-Great Atamaran War)
« Reply #180: February 12, 2013, 02:37:29 AM »
I don't see a problem. Step down from w/e position that you are not enjoying and let other people take over. Clinging to power you don't enjoy OOC just because it makes IC sense will turn your life into hell. It's not fair to blame other players for your misery. Other players may enjoy this political game. Do what you love doing, we already have enough unpleasantness in real life.

I was a count of Skezard, wanted to get into the Sirion's politics. Turns out senators in Sirion don't hold any power, and the pay in Skezard was miserable. I also did not want to spend all this time to get to the place I wanted, so I went back to being a rich knight, following orders, etc. It's not the end of the world to let go.

+1
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #181: February 13, 2013, 04:00:32 AM »
Everybody is getting worked up!

This is the perfect time for me to pull my earthquake scroll out and shake things up!

*Adjusting his topknot, he pulls a scroll from one of his many pouches accidently droping it, it unfolds, turning out to be... a itch scroll. Scratching his head some*

Well its not a quake scroll, but it'll do!

*Begins marching in the direction of Eston*
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #182: February 14, 2013, 06:04:28 AM »
This treaty is probably the best thing that has happened to the Eston-part of the Atamara map in many years, in terms of Gameplay, etc. The old, stagnant culture and power hierarchy has been completely broken in Eston proper, while in the mean time there are now 3 realms in the area who can all claim some sort of legitimacy to the "Eston" legacy.

And all we had to do was drag Eston there, with her nobles kicking, screaming, crying, and whining the entire way.

You're welcome.  ;)
------
qui audet vincit

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #183: February 14, 2013, 07:08:49 AM »
And all we had to do was drag Eston there, with her nobles kicking, screaming, crying, and whining the entire way.

You're welcome.  ;)

lol

And in a totally unsurprising addition to the saga of "Eston players who can't let go," Athena's character paused immediately upon arrival in Thalmarkin, and a new character has been made in Eston.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #184: February 14, 2013, 04:42:41 PM »
lol

And in a totally unsurprising addition to the saga of "Eston players who can't let go," Athena's character paused immediately upon arrival in Thalmarkin, and a new character has been made in Eston.

The 17 year old "daughter" of an 80 year old woman....  :o
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #185: February 14, 2013, 08:06:07 PM »

The 17 year old "daughter" of an 80 year old woman....  :o

+1

She had an active retirement.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #186: February 15, 2013, 10:19:23 AM »
Ew. EW. Eeeeeeeeeewwwwww. At least say it's your granddaughter. Having a kid at 63... That should be a war crime. >:(

Incidentally, this is the exact same trick that Kerwin should pull. I don't get all this angst and drama over his exile. What's the big deal? He can bypass it by:

Step 1: Make Kerwin II.
Step 2: THERE IS NO STEP 2!

Raziel is on Raziel IV, now, for goodness sake.  ::)
------
qui audet vincit

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #187: February 15, 2013, 04:52:38 PM »
Ew. EW. Eeeeeeeeeewwwwww. At least say it's your granddaughter. Having a kid at 63... That should be a war crime. >:(

Incidentally, this is the exact same trick that Kerwin should pull. I don't get all this angst and drama over his exile. What's the big deal? He can bypass it by:

Step 1: Make Kerwin II.
Step 2: THERE IS NO STEP 2!

Raziel is on Raziel IV, now, for goodness sake.  ::)

Except its wretched RP and in poor taste to use character creation as ban-avoidance.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #188: February 15, 2013, 05:05:43 PM »
Except its wretched RP and in poor taste to use character creation as ban-avoidance.

Creating a clone is in bad taste. If you simply enjoy that realm, creating a genuinely different young character would be fine.

What is really wrong is for the realm to immediately put that new character in a position of power.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #189: February 15, 2013, 05:15:01 PM »
What is really wrong is for the realm to immediately put that new character in a position of power.

Why? He's the Son of the King in a Monarchy....

Doesn't really seem far-fetched to me.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #190: February 15, 2013, 05:25:10 PM »
Why? He's the Son of the King in a Monarchy....

Doesn't really seem far-fetched to me.

It's.... un-BMian. But, yeah, it does make historical sense.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #191: February 15, 2013, 05:27:34 PM »
I'm not saying he should get free access to the kingship forever just because he was King once. However, in all sense of RP he has a good claim.

Even if he doesn't become King, sticking around and gaining influence wouldn't be difficult. Players like playing with those they can trust and have seen work well for their realm.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #192: February 15, 2013, 05:32:36 PM »
I'm not saying he should get free access to the kingship forever just because he was King once. However, in all sense of RP he has a good claim.

Even if he doesn't become King, sticking around and gaining influence wouldn't be difficult. Players like playing with those they can trust and have seen work well for their realm.

Really what I disagree with are the automatic promotions, those that don't even bother with any RP at all. Within a sensible time frame and a minimum of effort, I do agree that this character should have a leg up compared with others with no familial connections. I've profited from it myself.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #193: February 15, 2013, 09:54:47 PM »
I would never do something like that because, first of all, it's super lame and kind of annoying when other people do it, like Athena. Literally the "daughter's" second message sent to the realm was "Hey, why haven't we given away Belegrond yet?" Like... her "daughter" character is not even missing a beat between her and Athena.

Also, it just isn't fun. All of my character are unique individuals in my mind and when they aren't, they cease to be fun for me to play. I just paused my character on East Island because I was never able to get much character development going with him and he lacked a unique persona in my mind, so he was boring to me.

If I were boot up Kerwin 2.0 right after Kerwin left, even if I was doing it with the attempt of making it a new character, it would be hard for me to actually do so so quickly after Kerwin left. It would be hard not to play the character as basically Kerwin (especially if it was right back in Eston). I would need to leave the continent for at least a few months so I could come back with a fresh perspective.

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #194: February 15, 2013, 09:58:03 PM »

The current PM of Rieleston tried to doe xactly this. Showed up and, like,  a month later or somethng, with few messages to the realm, was asserting a right to kingship. That's what led to Rieleston's secession.

Honestly, if Perth tried something like that, my character would pretty much devote his remaining career to stymying it. I just find it so anathema and distasteful in BM to have a clique of players re-creating themselves to secure power.