Author Topic: I figured out what is wrong with Trade...and how to fix it  (Read 48989 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Can we even steal food anymore, now that caravans are gone?

Yes. It should be transferred directly to your region, if you have an estate or a Lordship. (Otherwise it just gets destroyed.)

I don't quite agree... Food makes trade necessary, but not quite "worth it". It's like if your well water was toxic, and the only solution you had was to buy a 2 million dollar filtration system. Without the pure water, you'd die. But does it really justify a 2 million dollar filtration system? Adding resources is basically the equivalent of giving your 2 million dollar filtration system other uses (water for exports, filtration for irrigation, juice filtration, etc.), so that you can better get a return on the investment.

So are you saying you support the idea of removing food entirely? (Just trying to unwind your analogy :) )

And many realms don't have traders because there just aren't enough food on the markets to make it any fun. It's a vicious cycle, really. There's not enough trading to do to incite people to become traders, and as such there aren't enough traders around to do the trading that is required. Hence why I think we should try to make being a trader more interesting, without making them any more necessary.

Yes, exactly. Sorry, that was the other half of the chicken-and-egg problem that I forgot to articulate ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan