Author Topic: Why Do You Play?  (Read 17765 times)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Why Do You Play?
« Reply #30: February 22, 2013, 01:56:58 AM »
Fleugs started playing, oh... maybe 8 months before me. I was 21 when I started playing and I'm 31 now. So, yeah. You have a certain subset of the player base that's been with BM for a full decade, Tom.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #31: February 22, 2013, 02:08:07 AM »
I know that. But for people who started young its been almost half their life. That makes me wow.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: February 22, 2013, 02:31:52 AM »
Why do you play?
I played since year 2009. Come across this game and Battlemaster home page look interesting and enticing.

Started in Alebad fallen realm region, thought I joined Alebad realm but later found out they are dead realm yet to be cleanup by the game. Oritolon not my first choice ;D

2009-01-30  Ash  Began his career in Oritolon.

Another reason is Bedwyr points out below. Very few games allow you to shape the game world history through player actions and inactions.
Because there are damn few games where you can rewrite how the entire game world works in a freeform way, despite your character not being intrinsically more powerful than any other.

What do you get out of BattleMaster?
Learning how different government systems working and setup.
Learning how battles can be win or lose.
Last but not least, make new friends and learning to trust each other come rain or shine in Battlemaster  :)

What do you put into it?
In the earlier days, I pour my emotions whether happy, sad or angry through characters interactions with other characters.
Happy when won the battles, wars, region lordships, rulership, judgeship, rebellion success and so on.
Despairs when the realm lost battle, I even had a character lost a realm(Fontan).
Puzzled and confused due to my first character started in a dead realm.
Feeling outcast when knowing nobody in the realms first started but gradually start to understand the game mechanic, and thus learning more and understand other characters.
Sometime I become Sun Tzu, mastering the Art of War strategies and planning 8)

You can find lot of different characters in the game, some co-operatives, some unco-operatives, some loud talking, some complaining without offering any solutions, some who know what must be done and some quiets who at sidelines but will become Rebels when you least expected them :o
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: February 22, 2013, 05:28:01 AM »
You can find lot of different characters in the game, some co-operatives, some unco-operatives, some loud talking, some complaining without offering any solutions, some who know what must be done and some quiets who at sidelines but will become Rebels when you least expected them :o

I love that line! I watch that too and it always amazes me. I love watching people perform and react and behave in situations they don't quite control. Really tests them and makes me laugh! People can learn a lot about society playing Battlemaster. More so, people can learn a lot about themselves playing this game.

I recently watched "On the Waterfront" with Marlon Brando and thought to myself, "hey, that reminded me of something that happened in Battlemaster!" No joke!
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: February 22, 2013, 07:41:32 AM »
Wow. You started playing at 12 and have been playing for 10 years. That means BM has been part of most of the life you remember.

I was barely 13, but yes. Didn't even had proper English class back then so I learned my English on BM, both through the game itself and on IRC, on which I have been idling almost equally long. Several of my friends started at the same age too, by the way, but only Lorgan persisted like I did. The silly things we did as teenagers on this game... oh boy, people must have hated us from time to time.

Anyway, BM is a substantial part of my life, yes. Luckily now that I'm a student I'm in the business of reducing whatever memory I have outside of class, so I'm sure I can enjoy another decade without remembering too much.  ;)
Ardet nec consumitur.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: February 22, 2013, 01:10:42 PM »
Yeah, I started playing 4 months later, barely 13, not knowing enough English to really understand the register process, picking ridiculously stupid names and then some other stuff... :)
BM has for me too been part of most of my conscious life and I don't see me stopping anytime soon.

So why don't I stop? Pretty much for the reason that many have already mentioned: to make history. I love looking back over the ~9 years I've played and think of the realms I've built and destroyed, the people I've played with, the goals I've tried to achieve and the goals I've achieved... or things completely unrelated to myself.
Especially when I look to BT, the only continent I've continuously played on intensively since first setting foot there right before the 1st invasion, I just love to know the wars that have happened, the victors, the vanquished, the histories between all the surviving realms and their relations to the destructed, ...

Yup the history that's been made and the history in the making is derfinitely why I play this game. :)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: February 23, 2013, 07:41:29 AM »
Wow. You started playing at 12 and have been playing for 10 years. That means BM has been part of most of the life you remember.

2005-10-02      Amgar      Began his career in Norland.

I was 14.

I am now 21.

BM is 1/3 of my life.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Zadar

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: February 23, 2013, 04:37:45 PM »
On detailed history of my familys first mar kis on 2003-04-03. I really don't remember when I started to play this game but I have been here quite long. At the start friends said that this game will take only 5 minutes of your life each day, sometimes it is true but there are days that you need to use an hour or more. So I have used quite some time for this game and I'm not even near to quit.
Oh yes, I have a plan too. It might take a year or two but in the end I'll be victorious.

BM is a fantastic game which gives you several options to use your characters in different ways.I have tried to use my every Characters separate and they should act differently if same thing happens to them. You can cause chaos or lead your Empire against others. It really depends on your play style how much influence your Char can get or what you are going to do with it.

this game gives me a possibilty to learn English as it is not my nature language. I have gained friends through my time with BM and of course there might be some enemies lurking around   :)

Perhaps on day,my son will continue my work with BM.

Is there still many others with 3 digits user ID's around ?
A plan without a goal, is just a wish .

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #38: February 23, 2013, 06:31:12 PM »
Is there still many others with 3 digits user ID's around ?

15, plus 2 with 2-digit IDs (Loren and myself).

Zakilevo

« Reply #39: February 23, 2013, 06:32:40 PM »
No more single digit? :(

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: February 23, 2013, 06:43:17 PM »
No more single digit? :(
You can check the single digits to be sure if you want.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: February 23, 2013, 06:45:34 PM »
I seem to recall that Doc was ID 9 or something...before he left.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: February 23, 2013, 07:06:10 PM »
15, plus 2 with 2-digit IDs (Loren and myself).

Is it quick to calculate this? I'd be curious to know how many with four, and five, and... up to how many digits are we nowadays?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: February 23, 2013, 07:17:25 PM »
I think the IDs are now somewhere in the 35k range.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #44: February 23, 2013, 07:21:09 PM »
Is it quick to calculate this? I'd be curious to know how many with four, and five, and... up to how many digits are we nowadays?

4 or less digits: 94

everyone has 5 or less digits, the highest ID is 34651