Author Topic: I Hate Food  (Read 65038 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: I Hate Food
« Reply #150: March 01, 2013, 01:39:51 PM »
Chenier, the calculation was done for cities, doesn't matter which continent it's on, cities have similar stats.

Sure, you can argue all you want that additional gold generated by additional population must go somewhere else. When it comes down to it, you're expecting to do everything with a city when it is in an area with a low access to supplies of surplus food as when it is in an area with tons of surplus food.

I dunno, Foundation. Your argument that some cities can't expect to be able to afford all the food they need to feed themselves seems to rest on two assumptions, both of which are false and which seem somewhat incompatible:

1) That food prices are primarily or wholly set by the seller, and buyers basically just have to take what they can get.
2) That food is fundamentally a free market everywhere.

The simple fact that disproves both of these is that some realms mandate certain price ceilings for food distribution in general, or in order to ensure that a particular city is properly fed.

Have Cherry try telling Hrok that if Giask can't afford to feed itself at 50g/100 bushels, it can just go starve, and see how far she gets.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan