Author Topic: I Hate Food  (Read 64325 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: I Hate Food
« Reply #150: March 01, 2013, 01:49:15 PM »
True. Note that my point was in response to Chenier saying that his city cannot feed itself at 40-50 gold / 100 bushels. Something is wrong with the management of a city if it cannot do so. Either it has too much militia or too much gold is diverted elsewhere or tax rates are ridiculously low, etc. In that case, it's not surprising that a city cannot feed itself with such high prices and do everything else at the same time.

I don't mean to say that in general cities must feed themselves at 40-50 gold / 100 bushels or expect to starve.

I also don't think it's unreasonable for a city to ask that it not spend 90-100% of its (otherwise-)disposable income on food.

Cities need a great deal more gold for infrastructure than other regions, and their lords are also most often the sponsors of armies. They also tend to be the people the realm comes to when nobles need extra gold handed out for their units.

I have no problem with rural Lords making a fair price for their food, but if that fair price leads to most of the rural Lords just hoarding extra gold or sending it to their families, while the city Lords end up with less net income than the rural Lords do, I don't think that's a particularly helpful result overall.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan