Author Topic: Are Inalienable Rights Modified  (Read 5441 times)

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Are Inalienable Rights Modified
« Topic Start: February 25, 2013, 11:51:45 PM »
As I do not participate in forum chats, I find it the only way to find out about such an issue without pushing on OOC channel.

So, currently, in three out of four realms where I have nobles there are constant reminders for nobles that they have to be more active, and promotions, regards, lauds are often publicly related to activity.

So I have to ask whether rules are policies are shifted in the meantime? I do not see any change in Wiki.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Are Inalienable Rights Modified
« Reply #1: February 26, 2013, 12:03:56 AM »
If the Wiki page hasn't changed, the Inalienable Rights haven't changed.

If someone's telling you to log on more often, you should be reporting him.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #2: February 26, 2013, 01:42:46 AM »
The wiki is authoritative on this matter, that is why the page is locked for editing by normal users.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 26, 2013, 04:07:33 AM »
Actually it is quite simple. If you not sure about something that will touch on someone activity, stay away precisely 10 feets away.

For how to resolve players activity issue. Just message the inactive nobles a few times asking why they not follow order. Do not ever mention "you have to be in X region in 1 day time."

1) You may ask your realm Judge fine them

2) Ask their Region Lord lower down their income tax percentage % or 3) revoke their estate if they no respond.

I would have like to provide you with sample letters of how to write to inactive nobles. But currently we are at war and the letters will be confidential. The above explanation should be sufficient to include in your messaging the inactive nobles.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 26, 2013, 04:25:53 AM »
If having an order be "Go to region x in one day" is breaking the rules then I feel that is dumb and should be changed. That should be a regular order.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 26, 2013, 08:16:01 AM »
Do not ever mention "you have to be in X region in 1 day time."

No way. Issuing an order that says Move to Region X: "next turn" or "in the morning" or "in a full day" are all pretty common orders, and there is no way it is against the rules. Literally the only other way you could issue an order then would be say something like "Move to Region X Whenever You Feel Like It." And that's just silly.

What you CAN'T do is explicitly punish someone because they "didn't log in." But punishing a NOBLE for not following ORDERS is fine. At least as far as I am aware.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: February 26, 2013, 11:48:50 AM »
We've been discussing this a dozen times.

One, issuing a general order to a large group with a time frame is perfectly fine.

Two, if someone doesn't follow that order, your first job is to find out why. IC reasons can be handled IC, but if he had OOC reasons, i.e. didn't log in, you have to simply accept that, period.

That's the whole point of the #1 IR in a nutshell: Real life is more important than this game.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 26, 2013, 05:12:45 PM »
As I do not participate in forum chats, I find it the only way to find out about such an issue without pushing on OOC channel.

So, currently, in three out of four realms where I have nobles there are constant reminders for nobles that they have to be more active, and promotions, regards, lauds are often publicly related to activity.

So I have to ask whether rules are policies are shifted in the meantime? I do not see any change in Wiki.

So people are rewarded for greater activity? That's sounds reasonable. If someone is contributing regularly, then it is only natural, both IC and OOC, that they receive positions.

Would it really be reasonable to give a lordship (more gold, better unit) to a character that always arrives late for battles? Or who doesn't do much?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 26, 2013, 05:22:15 PM »
So people are rewarded for greater activity? That's sounds reasonable. If someone is contributing regularly, then it is only natural, both IC and OOC, that they receive positions.

Would it really be reasonable to give a lordship (more gold, better unit) to a character that always arrives late for battles? Or who doesn't do much?

It's really, really, really easy to do this without ever using the word "activity" in your messages.

It's kind of ridiculous how easy it is, in fact.

And it really does make things better.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 26, 2013, 05:34:45 PM »
It's really, really, really easy to do this without ever using the word "activity" in your messages.

It's kind of ridiculous how easy it is, in fact.

And it really does make things better.

In fact, Bael just did so, after the first sentence.

You don't give someone a lordship "because he logs in frequently" or "because he's highly active". You give him a lordship "because he performs his duties with exemplary dedication," or "because he has never failed to follow an order with enthusiasm and punctuality." (Though frankly, this last does have something of the feel of Old BattleMaster, when banning for inactivity was commonplace and following orders was the most important thing any non-leader character could do...)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: February 26, 2013, 05:45:41 PM »
In fact, Bael just did so, after the first sentence.

Right, I intended to refer to Stue's OP where the relation to player activity was made explicit.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 26, 2013, 07:41:45 PM »
You don't give someone a lordship "because he logs in frequently" or "because he's highly active". You give him a lordship "because he performs his duties with exemplary dedication," or "because he has never failed to follow an order with enthusiasm and punctuality." (Though frankly, this last does have something of the feel of Old BattleMaster, when banning for inactivity was commonplace and following orders was the most important thing any non-leader character could do...)

Okay....but seriously, giving someone a lordship because they are "highly active" I would consider a pretty good decision in most cases. Granted, you don't call it that, but the reality of the situation is that active players make much more useful lords and more interesting ones for interactive gameplay.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: February 26, 2013, 07:45:31 PM »
Okay....but seriously, giving someone a lordship because they are "highly active" I would consider a pretty good decision in most cases. Granted, you don't call it that, but the reality of the situation is that active players make much more useful lords and more interesting ones for interactive gameplay.

Well...no, not really.

Someone doesn't make a good Lord because they log in 12 times an hour. They make a good Lord because they are diligent about actually performing the job of Lord.

Some parts of that require being active (or at least it makes them much better), but that doesn't mean that it's the activity, in and of itself, that makes them better for it.
Timothy Collett

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: February 26, 2013, 07:51:44 PM »
Well...no, not really.

Someone doesn't make a good Lord because they log in 12 times an hour. They make a good Lord because they are diligent about actually performing the job of Lord.

Some parts of that require being active (or at least it makes them much better), but that doesn't mean that it's the activity, in and of itself, that makes them better for it.

Of course, but all else equal, more active players are more likely to get lordships. Its just common sense.

The same applies for anything in the game really. More active players are 'more likely' to be better Marshals. More active players are more likely to interact more with other players. This gains them the influence and visibility necessary to move up the feudal hierarchy. More active players are more likely to take the time to respond to letters, dig into the game, suggest ideas, plan, etc...

When an active engaged "character" appears within my realm. I place them on the fast track to a lordship. If there a loyal knight I've had for a year, they'll have priority if they show good interest. But, a knight I've had for 1 month that is definitely doing what they can to contribute (which is related to activity in a large amount) will receive greater consideration from me.

I can't see anything wrong with that. It isn't punishing inactive players, but it certainly rewards more activity. Would you rather have the leaders that are going to put in the time to do their jobs well, or the leaders who will log in 5 minutes a week and let their regions starve?

It used to be fairly commonplace for an unstated requirement of the marshal position to be the ability to log on within 5 minutes of turn change and send out orders based upon scout reports and the current situation. This still is a highly prized quality. Even if it means Vice-Marshal takes one turn, and Marshal the other.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 26, 2013, 08:32:49 PM »
When an active engaged "character" appears within my realm. I place them on the fast track to a lordship. If there a loyal knight I've had for a year, they'll have priority if they show good interest. But, a knight I've had for 1 month that is definitely doing what they can to contribute (which is related to activity in a large amount) will receive greater consideration from me.

Of course, I do the same. That does not make it ok for your ruler character to say it out loud, which I've also seen.