Author Topic: Personal Roleplay Guidelines  (Read 8649 times)

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Roleplay Guidelines
« Reply #15: February 27, 2013, 06:01:06 PM »
Well, whoever made that claim wasn't wrong.

All of the characters old enough to have been grandfathered in are dead or gone. There are no more elves.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: February 27, 2013, 06:05:11 PM »
Well, whoever made that claim wasn't wrong.

All of the characters old enough to have been grandfathered in are dead or gone. There are no more elves.

I believe there is something of a dispute over whether the grandfather clause was intended to allow "all Sirionites" to be elves, or "all Sirionites alive when the clause was enacted" to be elves.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: February 27, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
I will not enter this discussion about elves anymore. Erik is an elf, Sirion accepts him this way, then I don't care. I really don't know the problem with the people about this question. After so many years and more than 100 RPs and the day-by-day interaction I don't intend to change it just because I'm not playing BM when people used to have silly names like Circle, Boom Boom, etc.

I prefer to have an elf now than have one inspired in that old times. Alson, when I began the first thing I saw: "Sirion, land of the elves". So much time later I discovered the talks about being "forbidden" to play with elves. Many people of East Continent still saw Sirion with elves while others like to see them as amputees. No problem with that...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:04:21 PM by Eduardo Almighty »
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Zakilevo

« Reply #18: February 27, 2013, 10:34:53 PM »
Even Tom doesn't touch the 'elf' part of the EC. The topic only leads to negative results. I am fine with people RPing themselves as elves as long as they do not do that in other realms.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: February 27, 2013, 10:47:44 PM »
Even Tom doesn't touch the 'elf' part of the EC. The topic only leads to negative results. I am fine with people RPing themselves as elves as long as they do not do that in other realms.
Of course Tom does. I believe his last statement was any Sirionite can roleplay being an elf, only while he or she is a Sirionite. If the character changes realms he or she can not continue to roleplay being an elf, until the character is once more a Sirionite.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Zakilevo

« Reply #20: February 27, 2013, 11:07:50 PM »
Of course Tom does. I believe his last statement was any Sirionite can roleplay being an elf, only while he or she is a Sirionite. If the character changes realms he or she can not continue to roleplay being an elf, until the character is once more a Sirionite.

Yes. I am totally fine with that. If people want to RP an elf, they can come to Sirion. :)

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: February 27, 2013, 11:18:25 PM »
This page is now pretty old but it's the result of going through this discussion many years ago.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/RP_Primer

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: February 28, 2013, 02:21:37 AM »
Of course Tom does. I believe his last statement was any Sirionite can roleplay being an elf, only while he or she is a Sirionite.

Erik is Sirion, then it's fine :)

If the character changes realms he or she can not continue to roleplay being an elf, until the character is once more a Sirionite.

Perfect situation for a good RP of Erik losing himself. Frankly, I cannot imagine Erik in another realm. Then, Sirion have to stand.
Serpentis again!

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: March 01, 2013, 03:55:44 AM »
We did go over this in another thread.

No one player "owns" the NPCs of an entire realm.

It is not appropriate to roleplay large proportions of a realm doing something that game mechanics does not support (for instance, the population of an entire region rioting, when stats show its morale and loyalty to be high and control is core).

It is absolutely, 100% fine to roleplay single or small groups of NPCs from another realm hating their ruler, attempting rebellious action, attacking supposedly neutral or friendly foreigners without provocation, or whatever else anyone wants to roleplay. And they don't have to ask permission from anyone as long as the specific NPCs aren't ones that someone else made up in the first place.

What if I start RPing Grandpa Anaris badmouthing his lousy children and giving away everything to the Chénier family in his will? Still 100% fine to RP this single NPC?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: March 01, 2013, 04:11:38 AM »
What if I start RPing Grandpa Anaris badmouthing his lousy children and giving away everything to the Chénier family in his will? Still 100% fine to RP this single NPC?

Any member of a specific noble family obviously belongs to the player playing that family.

For one thing, "Grandpa Anaris" is dead, so you'd look a right fool if you tried claiming that he was doing anything other than decomposing.

Similarly, if you tried to roleplay that the palace seneschal was betraying his master's confidences, that would be inappropriate absent some prior consent from the Lord of that region.

I should think it would be clear that when I talk about "single or small groups of NPCs from another realm," I'm talking about putting faces on faceless masses, not trying to impute ill intent to someone high up in the enemy NPC ranks.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: March 01, 2013, 04:14:03 AM »
I believe there is something of a dispute over whether the grandfather clause was intended to allow "all Sirionites" to be elves, or "all Sirionites alive when the clause was enacted" to be elves.

Tom answered this several years ago. See below.

This is almost correct. The OOC note that was added to the "Elves" page of the wiki quotes his response almost exactly.

The only elves that exist in BattleMaster are those that were grandfathered in before the Human-Only rule. A character created anywhere but Sirion - or created in Sirion but no longer residing there - is not exempt from this rule.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: March 01, 2013, 05:53:47 AM »

In my mind, it is pretty simple:

Do not RP the actions/thoughts/feelings/reactions of the close and personal NPCs of other players.

It is fine to RP the actions of any other NPC as I see fit. Even the NPCs of another realm, religion or guild.

RPing actions of any other characters personal staff, family members or what not is, in my opinion taking too much of a liberty. Leave them alone or get the consent of the character's player.

Stating what some random peasants/militia/recruits/officials are doing in region X of random realm is, in my opinion, cool so long as the RP does not contradict the game engine. Even if the RP is not favorable to this realm or the leadership of that region. I personally do not get the possessiveness players feel over their characters subjects. Sure, the character may be their lord but that in no way gives them exclusive RP power over these nameless masses. Besides, if a Character posts a RP that I really do not like, i can always post a responding RP that shows the same situation in another light.

Example:
A noble of a foreign realm is role played as sneaking across the border into the region of another realm and finds a village full of women and children being ruled over by a group of men holding the husbands and fathers hostage. He moves on to find nearby settlements abandoned. The character is convinced that the realm is being evil.

So the Lord of the region role plays the captain of his guard  reporting on how a bunch or soldiers turned bandit has taken control of a few small towns. The Lord asks if the loyal soldiers are in place to wipe the scum out and if the evacuation of the nearby settlements was successful.

Sure, the original noble could produce yet another RP to try and flip the situation, but there is no reason. Both already have what they want. One has an excuse to consider the realm evil. The other has shown his character to be a caring lord watching out for his men. Move forward!

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: March 01, 2013, 10:31:52 PM »
The only elves that exist in BattleMaster are those that were grandfathered in before the Human-Only rule. A character created anywhere but Sirion - or created in Sirion but no longer residing there - is not exempt from this rule.

Blame stupidity is stupid, but you can blame me for this. When I began to play BM in Sirion I was not familiar with the Wiki and even with the game, as you might suppose. Nor with English. But here I'm. And after years playing with an elf, excuse me but I will not step back. No problems if Tom decide to throw lightning bolts against him.

He's a good character like he is: an elf.
Serpentis again!

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: March 01, 2013, 11:53:03 PM »
Blame stupidity is stupid, but you can blame me for this. When I began to play BM in Sirion I was not familiar with the Wiki and even with the game, as you might suppose. Nor with English. But here I'm. And after years playing with an elf, excuse me but I will not step back. No problems if Tom decide to throw lightning bolts against him.

He's a good character like he is: an elf.
I think you are confused. When he was created does not matter. As long as your character has been a Sirionite since character creation and still is, there is nothing with roleplaying him as an elf.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton