Author Topic: Personal Roleplay Guidelines  (Read 8701 times)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Roleplay Guidelines
« Reply #15: March 01, 2013, 05:53:47 AM »
What if I start RPing Grandpa Anaris badmouthing his lousy children and giving away everything to the Chénier family in his will? Still 100% fine to RP this single NPC?

In my mind, it is pretty simple:

Do not RP the actions/thoughts/feelings/reactions of the close and personal NPCs of other players.

It is fine to RP the actions of any other NPC as I see fit. Even the NPCs of another realm, religion or guild.

RPing actions of any other characters personal staff, family members or what not is, in my opinion taking too much of a liberty. Leave them alone or get the consent of the character's player.

Stating what some random peasants/militia/recruits/officials are doing in region X of random realm is, in my opinion, cool so long as the RP does not contradict the game engine. Even if the RP is not favorable to this realm or the leadership of that region. I personally do not get the possessiveness players feel over their characters subjects. Sure, the character may be their lord but that in no way gives them exclusive RP power over these nameless masses. Besides, if a Character posts a RP that I really do not like, i can always post a responding RP that shows the same situation in another light.

Example:
A noble of a foreign realm is role played as sneaking across the border into the region of another realm and finds a village full of women and children being ruled over by a group of men holding the husbands and fathers hostage. He moves on to find nearby settlements abandoned. The character is convinced that the realm is being evil.

So the Lord of the region role plays the captain of his guard  reporting on how a bunch or soldiers turned bandit has taken control of a few small towns. The Lord asks if the loyal soldiers are in place to wipe the scum out and if the evacuation of the nearby settlements was successful.

Sure, the original noble could produce yet another RP to try and flip the situation, but there is no reason. Both already have what they want. One has an excuse to consider the realm evil. The other has shown his character to be a caring lord watching out for his men. Move forward!