Author Topic: Feature Request: Voluntary Death Option  (Read 15853 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Request: Voluntary Death Option
« Reply #15: February 27, 2013, 03:18:08 AM »
But are you really trying it out if you don't actually, ya know, die?

That sounds like a life slogan.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Eirikr

« Reply #16: February 27, 2013, 03:22:56 AM »
I love this idea. I would prefer the option to be selected at character creation and a semi-random death age to be assigned when the character is created but would take mortality in other forms as well. This would be cool. Super cool with plus seven to coolness besides!

Just check the box the day you create the character.

If this is done, then what is the point of the hero class?

Wouldn't a better way to do this same thing just be to make the hero class not prevent you from also choosing another class?

I'd thought about that, but the Hero class does have other significant differences. For one, a Hero contributes a small amount of CS to your unit. He is also able to tell tales and gather small numbers of recruits for free. Am I missing anything?

Last time this was proposed, it wasn't something you could switch on and off, but rather a decision you made once for your character. If, at any time, you check the "I am mortal" box, that's it, no going back.

I liked that version better. Less game-y.

I do like that option better, but ever time I see character death mentioned, Tom is always super resistant to making it permanent or out of the player's control. I figured the option to switch it whenever doesn't ultimately change how the game currently works and, as Perth noted, most of the people who would be interested in checking the box in the first place are the kind of people who aren't likely to abuse it. I know there will be an exception (where someone decides to toggle it every other letter they receive that is a threat and then resolved), but if it doesn't effectively change how the game works already, I don't see that really mattering much.

By the way, any chance you can point me toward the previous requests? I had assumed it was proposed before, but I didn't see it in the list of frequently rejected ideas.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: February 27, 2013, 03:28:54 AM »
But are you really trying it out if you don't actually, ya know, die?
That's like saying did you really chance yourself with disease if you put yourself in an environment that puts you at increased risk but later leave. You still did the risk. If did that for a year and never died, then decided this character was too valuable too lose so easily, I did try it out as I could have been killed during that year but didn't happen.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: March 03, 2013, 09:20:02 PM »
This is interesting to me on a beer induced level.  I would toggle it on a character, and I like not being able to turn it off.  That character now has a greater chance of dying, so I would play them a bit more dramatically. You would have a finite amount of time to make your mark, and you would know it.  This is a great idea. 

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: March 04, 2013, 04:05:11 AM »
I like this option and would probably use it for all my characters. If the option wasn't a permanent choice, maybe have a cool down like with class changes? so if you make your character mortal then you couldn't change it for a week or two at least.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #20: March 04, 2013, 04:11:18 AM »
If this feature is accepted, mortality will not be toggled. It will be a permanent choice. I do not believe toggle mortality is being considered.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: March 04, 2013, 04:12:27 AM »
I would not support a toggle. It should be a permanent, irrevocable choice.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Eirikr

« Reply #22: March 04, 2013, 11:36:23 AM »
The people have spoken. I would accept a change to the feature request to have it be permanent. I'll edit it later today.

Should old age be permanent as well? I feel like it shouldn't be linked directly in that you shouldn't be forced to choose it if you don't want to, since it is a 100% chance of death at that age. I'm not sure if I care whether it can be changed down the road. Maybe shortened, but not increased?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #23: March 04, 2013, 12:25:29 PM »
I would not support a toggle. It should be a permanent, irrevocable choice.

That already exists, it's called the Hero Subclass.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: March 04, 2013, 12:49:34 PM »
That already exists, it's called the Hero Subclass.

This has been discussed many times before. The point is to play a killable trader or diplomat or infiltrator. Some characters are just not heroic at all.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: March 04, 2013, 02:03:49 PM »
This has been discussed many times before. The point is to play a killable trader or diplomat or infiltrator. Some characters are just not heroic at all.

Not just that, but to enable mortality in all situations, not just in battle.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eirikr

« Reply #26: March 04, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »
Not just that, but to enable mortality in all situations, not just in battle.

This, to me, is the vital (aha, pun) point.

The defense has been raised that it's a small fraction of players who think like I do; this provides for that and doesn't force anyone to do it. There's already the vocal bunch on the forums that would get the benefit and I can see others who don't use the forums wanting to jump on.

I do admit that I'm fairly sure it'd be a complex addition; I'm willing to concede it may be more trouble than benefit, but that's something to let the coders decide, no?

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: March 04, 2013, 11:09:20 PM »
If this is going to be a permanent choice, the bare minimum that can be done is to allow them to toggle it for X amount of time, where I prefer a week. It has to be able to be toggled for a certain amount of time, otherwise its people getting screwed over because of a mis-click.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: March 05, 2013, 12:07:17 AM »
If this is going to be a permanent choice, the bare minimum that can be done is to allow them to toggle it for X amount of time, where I prefer a week. It has to be able to be toggled for a certain amount of time, otherwise its people getting screwed over because of a mis-click.

I can't see this ever being implemented as a single unguarded click from any common page. Most likely it would either be a checkbox under Paperwork, or a page under Actions describing the choice that then has a second link to click to actually do it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: March 05, 2013, 12:38:10 AM »
I like the proposed permanent mortality option. I can understand that the Hero class was a kind of segway into mortal characters, but it's too limiting IMO. Old age, infiltrators, torture, and battles should all be potentially deadly. The Hero class would still be just as viable if they weren't the only martyrs. Plus, disconnecting mortality and the Hero class would help with people who want to change profession.

I wouldn't put this in high priority, but I would say it's something worth thinking about.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)