Author Topic: Feature Request: Voluntary Death Option  (Read 16512 times)

Eirikr

Re: Feature Request: Voluntary Death Option
« Reply #45: March 05, 2013, 10:10:02 PM »
If you want benefits, become a Hero.

Exactly. This request is a response to those who have asked for the capability for their characters to die, not to create another risk/reward system. I guarantee this change would be instantly rejected if it were a fundamental change to the way the game is played. As it is written, if no players participate in it, the game does not change at all. The incentive to do it comes from the player and the player only.

Also, Indirik, I think I included that it would be private information. Sharing it would also fundamentally alter the game, especially for infils. As has been stated numerous times, infils were not created for the purpose of killing nobles. A kill, even with this option, should come as a surprise. Potentially a horrific one (RP: "I... I didn't mean to kill him... Oh god, what have I done?"), though players are free to RP as they wish.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: March 05, 2013, 10:20:46 PM »
Also, Indirik, I think I included that it would be private information. Sharing it would also fundamentally alter the game, especially for infils. As has been stated numerous times, infils were not created for the purpose of killing nobles. A kill, even with this option, should come as a surprise. Potentially a horrific one (RP: "I... I didn't mean to kill him... Oh god, what have I done?"), though players are free to RP as they wish.
I completely agree with this. I was responding primarily to someone else who posted that you could get different options when dealing with someone who had this option enabled. i.e. you could select "Torture" or "Torture to death", or something like that. There should be no way for someone else to know about the player's choice in this.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Eirikr

« Reply #47: March 05, 2013, 10:26:57 PM »
I completely agree with this. I was responding primarily to someone else who posted that you could get different options when dealing with someone who had this option enabled. i.e. you could select "Torture" or "Torture to death", or something like that. There should be no way for someone else to know about the player's choice in this.

Oh, very good call. I hadn't even thought about that. I definitely agree it shouldn't be discoverable unless the player makes it known; even then, it should be more tasteful than "Hey guys, I can die, so go ahead and give it a shot!" Since it's only a chance and it could happen at any time, there should be little reason to mention it unless you're nearing the old age marker.

On an unrelated note, does a Hero's death give the family a fame point? I'm thinking of expressly noting that a death in this manner does not give you fame or anything.

Also, the feature request has been updated.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: March 05, 2013, 11:26:42 PM »
On an unrelated note, does a Hero's death give the family a fame point? I'm thinking of expressly noting that a death in this manner does not give you fame or anything.

There are three different types of fame points for death: death of a regular hero (1 point), death of a legendary hero (3 points), and death of any other noble (1 point).

This would trigger the third type, but not the others, because they're specifically for heroes.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eirikr

« Reply #49: March 06, 2013, 01:16:50 AM »
Oh, right, forgot about executions. I still think this addition should not trigger the third fame point; it's possible it could trigger it through less effort. Then again, if that's not a big enough concern, I guess it could trigger it.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: March 06, 2013, 08:56:47 AM »
and death of any other noble (1 point).

Are you certain it's noble and not just character? I'm quite sure I got the fame point when my advy died....
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: March 06, 2013, 09:40:09 AM »
Based on what I have read, I think it is character. Despite some effort to test this I became impatient waiting for someone to execute my character and killed him off. Can anyone confirm having gained a fame point via advy death?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: March 06, 2013, 01:26:44 PM »
At present, the "death" fame point can only be triggered by execution and duel death.

I cannot say for certain that the execution of an advy would not trigger this; however, their death in battle against monsters would not.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan