Author Topic: Player targetted abuse for in-game actions  (Read 25747 times)

BattleMaster Server

Player targetted abuse for in-game actions
« Topic Start: February 27, 2013, 05:29:22 AM »
Summary:Player targetted abuse for in-game actions
Violation:Social Contract: Fair Play/Harassment and Abuse
World:Atamara
Complainer:TH
About:Jason

Full Complaint Text:
Fixing so that quote boxes work right:

From the Social Contract page:

"We expect you to play the game as you would play a board game with good friends"
"No verbal attacks, insults or harrassment of other players. Err on the side of caution, especially if you don't know the other player well."
"characters can be played as aggressive, as long as it is clear and obvious that the opposite character is the target, not the player behind him."

Over the past two weeks my character took actions concerning which Elegant had his character "Jason" the Ruler of CE on Atamara, take aggressive opposition against. This was all well in good, but over time his in-game letters grew more and more hateful and insulting. Repeated copied message spamming, and no effort made to even address in-game discussions but instead constant spam of 'betrayal' and similar terms were used in messages sent to large channels.

There are literally dozens of letters sent by Elegant insulting, berating, copying quotes from, and repeating over and over again the same thing until I simply gave up trying to respond because I don't have the time in-game to refute 50 letters that all have the same single line in them and I started to feel really upset with this behavior, I couldn't even read my in-game letters anymore because it made me so upset. For reference, each ellipses is from a different letter:

"You have told several times that you are our ally, whereas you such things behind our back. Shame on you.We can no longer trust someone who is plotting to take away our Duchies and plans to take our enemies in their plan...King Merlin, That was not a forgery. You cannot hide behind your lies. We have a whole set of your letters. Your true face is revealed...Your intent to take away regions from CE and Tara are now known...this king of yours wants to take our Duchies and does sweet talk in front of us...You still claim that the letter was a forgery? I liked you and admired you when I thought that you are a friend. How wrong I was...region-hungry-empire-which-needed-our-duchies....Plotting to break away our duchies?...you were making plans to damage us...The more lies you invent, the more effort I will put in exposing truth."

I could go on, but I am afraid I'll run out of space in the report.

Then, using the forum, Elegant's player accused me of being a liar, and took very personal attacks against myself as a player for my character's actions. He wouldn't even let me state my OOC intentions without acting as if on an OOC level I was targeting him and his realm. He proceeded to state that he didn't see a difference between the dispute in game and out-of-game.

I felt very hurt from this entire experience to even consider this game not being worth playing under such treatment and with apparent support by others in-game in similar fashion, but not to the same extreme.

Forum evidence:
Oh no...another bundle of lies from Merlin? Poor Jason is really pissed off.

Making me synonymous with my character?

Don't make me do it again. This is not the League channel, so I am not going to give more details. These sentences scream betrayal...Someday someone will do the same to you, then maybe you could understand the pain of being back-stabbed and being lied to in face. At least do yourself a favor and retain your honor as a player by not lying on forums...We knew what you were up to. We don't have to sit inside your brain to know your intentions...I never felt so betrayed in my life."

By another player:  "You are taking this *way* too personally."
His response: "I play like this. It's all personal."

Forum topic link for full reference: http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,3873.30.html

Non-quoted forum topic with more evidence pg.17+ http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,3740.240.html

Mod Note: Edited for formatting
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:33:49 AM by ^ban^ »