Author Topic: Player targetted abuse for in-game actions  (Read 26197 times)

Fury

Re: Player targetted abuse for in-game actions
« Reply #30: February 28, 2013, 04:14:55 AM »
I have a character in the realm council of the Cagilan Empire and have knowledge of and participated in the recent IG events. On the case, both complainer and defendant are good players. One tries to make it fun and one takes the game seriously. Nothing wrong with both.

Some background info:

Merlin's intended actions were known to CE's realm council long before he announced it - more than a month ago as the letters are no longer in the database. However, we had asked the PM to keep all those letters safely. As such, resentment was already brewing for some time. The letters that were leaked were accepted as genuine. While we did not have the entire conversation from both sides, what we had was damming enough for the whole council to unanimously agree.

Yet, CE's realm council chose not to act on it. We were likely hoping it would blow away like the rumour of the previous Corian Consul having secret backdoor talks with one of the northern alliances that was leaked when a spy broke news.

So, if Merlin was surprised at how fast and harsh and widespread his Phoenix Empire announcement was met, this was why.

Personally i dont like the way "Jason" plays the game. He "Destroy" opposition with brute force... force them to leave island, force people to secede, give away regions etc.
It was the Taran ruler who insisted that the Eston ruler AND Judge emigrate and the alternative to giving away some regions would be to take them all away and Rielston and Lyonese seceded all on their own.

How am I supposed to take it when the player in question states explicitly: "I play like this. It's all personal." He outright says that it is a personal issue. Not only that but he connects this directly to his in-game play style. That is even more concerning, because it suggests that while this may have begun as an IC dispute, he very likely began "playing" his character in a manner which reflected an out-of-game personal attack. I can understand being heated in an IC argument, but I can't understand playing an ongoing argument as both an IC and OOC dispute, and possibly having this OOC/personal play-style have real in-game effects by his character, whether they are written in an "Letter" msg or an "OOC msg." Perhaps, others see it differently, but I don't understand how I cannot take offense and make this connection when he has been so explicit about it.
I believe it simply means that while some people can come out of the game and make plans to make Atamara "exciting" or "fun" and then go back IG and make it happen, others prefer to stay IG and respond to events IG and do not believe that OOC should drive events. As such, when IG is brought into an OOC forum it can easily be seen as a continuation of an IG dispute particularly when what is said in the forum is as contradictory as what is said IG as how the defendant sees it here: http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,3740.msg95788.html#msg95788

This is the real reason for the birth of the Phoenix Empire: http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,3740.msg95795.html#msg95795. Different strokes for different folks. Particularly when it's like the mob. Once you're in you can never leave. http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Phoenix_Empire/Phoenix_Charter#Irrevocability_Clause

The overall sense from CE's side was, Coria was being led mostly unknowingly by most of its subjects into an eventual war with CE + whoever was going to remain with CE instead of joining the Phoenix Empire. Considering that Coria was a colony of CE that CE had saved many times and in turn be saved by Coria, this could not be seen as anything other than a betrayal no matter how it was presented as we all know the eventual outcome.

On the case:

The Magistrate system is:
http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,819.0.html
  • for resolving in-game disputes
  • Any and all in-characters disputes (i.e. between characters) are to be resolved in-game

Anything that spills over into the forums should be brought to the attention of the various Forum Moderators.

IMO:
A simple OOC message IG to clearly define that any 'attacks' are purely IG should clear things up.