Author Topic: Long Distance Wars Impossible?  (Read 33411 times)

MediumTedium

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Long Distance Wars Impossible?
« Reply #75: March 04, 2013, 03:43:59 AM »
Tell me this. What realm can Morek fight in the North? I
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:50:15 AM by MediumTedium »
"If you find you are falling into madness - dive."

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: March 04, 2013, 03:45:56 AM »
Tell me this. What realm can Morek fight in the North?
The ability to or who they will fight actually?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: March 04, 2013, 03:47:15 AM »
Tell me this. What realm can Morek fight in the North?

Astrum, Libero, Corsanctum, Swordfell. Not that they would but they can.

Or perhaps Luria Nova.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

MediumTedium

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: March 04, 2013, 03:50:03 AM »

Or perhaps Luria Nova.

There is zero chance they will fight anyone in the North. That part of Dwilight will stay alliance locked forever. (I dont count wars vs Corsanctum , Libero "true" wars as that would be wars to assimilate their regions because they dont have many active players.)

If Tom said that he want for long distance wars to be impossible why do you people still whine. Either make realm closer to the South or join some realm thats in the South or try to fight someone from the North. I am sure if there was war in the North more people would join Northern realms than go South and join Aurvandil.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: March 04, 2013, 03:52:44 AM »

Or perhaps Luria Nova.
I see it as highly unlikely that either Astrum or Morek ever fight Corsanctum as they are theocracies and Corsanctum is the home of the prohet so its kinda like Vatican City. As to the rest, I see some of those as possible though Astrum is of course the most unlikely. I also see FR as being a possibility.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #80: March 04, 2013, 03:52:49 AM »

There is zero chance they will fight anyone in the North. That part of Dwilight will stay alliance locked forever. (I dont count wars vs Corsanctum , Libero "true" wars as that would be wars to assimilate their regions because they dont have many active players.)

Is that the fault of game design or players though? What stops them from fighting?

Ambition can establish reasonable cause for war. Even against allies. Claim a single region for one of your knights. State you'll accept peace after gaining that region.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

MediumTedium

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: March 04, 2013, 03:55:01 AM »
Is that the fault of game design or players though? What stops them from fighting?

Ambition can establish reasonable cause for war. Even against allies. Claim a single region for one of your knights. State you'll accept peace after gaining that region.

That is absolutely players fault. They are scared to go to war with each other and get their realm destroyed. They worked too much to get their realms where they are now and they don want to risk it, but players are too proud to admit that.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: March 04, 2013, 04:06:26 AM »
Why do y'all act like I'm trying to comment on other's gameplay?
Because you are. If you think you're not, then you need to find a way to restate your position to not give everyone the idea that you are.

I'm not. What I'm trying to do is perhaps give you some reasons to consider, and help fill in some of the possible reasons that this may be the policy that Tom has implemented. So he doesn't have to write out a detailed explanation to everything, perhaps I'm just writing out what I suppose to be some of the many cases.
I understand why Tom is pushing the policy that he is. I'm OK with it.

But the fact that the policy exists does not, in any way, remove the reasons that the northern realms want to see Aurvandil destroyed, or significantly reduced in power. Whether it is possible or not is irrelevant. The desire still exists, so they will continue to try to find a way to do it. That may be direct military action, or it may be financial contributions, or it may be policing regions while the other realm runs off to war. But they will continue to pursue this policy.

I can come up with reasons why people are trying to fight this war. Whether they are correct or not, I don't know but some of them certainly make sense.
And yet you keep claiming that it makes no sense for them to be fighting the war.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: March 04, 2013, 04:07:18 AM »
They are scared to go to war with each other and get their realm destroyed. They worked too much to get their realms where they are now and they don want to risk it, but players are too proud to admit that.
That is completely, absolutely, wrong.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: March 04, 2013, 04:10:28 AM »
And yet you keep claiming that it makes no sense for them to be fighting the war.

That's because, I personally wouldn't understand why it is worth fighting someone so far away when they don't affect my personal ambitions. There are certainly reasons for war, but other reasons are usually much greater and other options much better.

That's just my opinion though. It doesn't make sense for them to be fighting a war though when they see the game inhibiting them like this. It's like repeatedly bashing one's head against the wall and not admitting it hurts.

MediumTedium

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: March 04, 2013, 04:11:26 AM »
Okay so Aurvandil keeps them together and if there was no Aurvandil they would be at war cuz quite few ppl said that is the reason. That is total BS. You can say what you want, there is no way North will start wars between each other.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:17:31 AM by MediumTedium »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #86: March 04, 2013, 04:19:33 AM »
That's because, I personally wouldn't understand why it is worth fighting someone so far away when they don't affect my personal ambitions.
Maybe some people like fighting for a cause more than for personal ambition, or what they would view as personal greed.

There are certainly reasons for war, but other reasons are usually much greater and other options much better.
For you perhaps they are better reasons. But obviously not for them. (Or at least that's the way they perceive them to be.)

It's like repeatedly bashing one's head against the wall and not admitting it hurts.
Yeah, and no game player would *ever* do that, right? ::)

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: March 04, 2013, 05:25:56 AM »
There can be no personal ambition when absolute success is already achieved. The Northern realms already have a 1:1 ratio of nobles to regions, you've stated so yourself, therefore warring in attempt to gain more regions is an utterly pointless activity. In fact, it is worth than pointless, it is downright self-destructive, as it bears the possibility of loss where there could be none before.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: March 04, 2013, 03:21:06 PM »
I really hate people who whine about other realms. Be it on Dwilight, Atamara, or wherever.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #89: April 23, 2013, 09:40:24 AM »
What are the practical experiences with this? Can a war with someone that is around 1500 miles away be waged without morale hitting rock bottom?
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)