Author Topic: Maximum battle width depends on region type  (Read 12163 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Maximum battle width depends on region type
« Reply #30: March 06, 2013, 06:22:58 AM »
If it's separate count, I can see 200-300 being reasonable. So what if a single unit by a battle-worn noble with a gazillion honour is able to take a stand in small mountain regions? There aren't many who are capable of doing this and able to sustain the unit maintenance (have you tried paying/repairing a unit of >100 men?).

Exactly.  I have to admit that the idea of a Hero making a valiant last stand with his three hundred hard-bitten veterans alongside him gives me all kinds of RP chills, but a large part of that is because it should be damn difficult.

What effect do you think that fortifications would have on things? A fortified castle or town can be completely surrounded, and should probably open the battlefield much wider.

I would suggest that for the first stage of implementation, they function like rurals.  In the future, I could see more elaborate ideas, but I am (with great difficulty) trying to keep myself focused.

To that end: I think we have a solid idea.  Limiting battle-widths to X number of soldiers per side, with Mountains having the lowest number of X and Rurals having effectively infinite X, and hills/forests/badlands in between.  Time to write up a feature request!  Now, all of you go discuss the other two ideas and come up with some of your own!
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"