Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

If your island exploded, would you stop playing?

Started by Azerax, March 03, 2013, 04:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If your island exploded, would you stop playing or move to another island?

I would stop playing
8 (18.2%)
I would move to another island
36 (81.8%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: March 08, 2013, 04:51:09 PM

Draco Tanos

Quote from: Psyche on March 03, 2013, 11:34:00 PM
It would be a sad day if BT or the Colonies went away, but I suppose there's still the FEI and Dwilight; though, Dwilight disinterests me due to SA.  The few times I ventured onto Atmara and EC I realized it was very fast and easy to be nearly completely overlooked as a new character.
What realms did you try? O.o

Chenier

Characters who don't stand out are rather easy to overlook on any continent...

I'm all for being overly welcoming to new players, but if a character can't be arsed to speak up, then it's rather normal for other players not to be arsed into giving a damn about them.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Psyche

It's been a long time, and I don't remember all of the realms- Darka, CE, Barony of Makar.  EC was back in the days of OR when it first split off from Rancqua(CP?).  OR wasn't too bad, until some tester decided to do police raids or hang with 127 hours and got all the militia lynched due to disastrous morale drops. 

As for SA... It's just too big and blah.  I'm very much so in line with the idea of city-states.  Ironically, I'm only half-assedly on board with Lukon's attemptto reset the Colonies, but that's probably just because it's Lukon.  Though it's been some time since I had Anomalous play in Oritolon after Alowca turned on him, I am kind of proud of them handing Lukon their asses in the first battles of their war.

Penchant

Quote from: Psyche on March 04, 2013, 03:39:44 AM
It's been a long time, and I don't remember all of the realms- Darka, CE, Barony of Makar.  EC was back in the days of OR when it first split off from Rancqua(CP?).  OR wasn't too bad, until some tester decided to do police raids or hang with 127 hours and got all the militia lynched due to disastrous morale drops. 

As for SA... It's just too big and blah.  I'm very much so in line with the idea of city-states.  Ironically, I'm only half-assedly on board with Lukon's attemptto reset the Colonies, but that's probably just because it's Lukon.  Though it's been some time since I had Anomalous play in Oritolon after Alowca turned on him, I am kind of proud of them handing Lukon their asses in the first battles of their war.
For AT, what made you feel "overlooked"? For Dwilight, why not join Asylon or Aurvandil? Asylon is pro-city-state and Aurvandil actually makes it happen.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

Quote from: Penchant on March 04, 2013, 03:49:27 AM
Asylon is pro-city-state
They talk the talk, but they don't walk the walk. The day they split their realm into three parts, I will believe they are pro-city state. Until then, it's just blowing smoke.

As for EC, you played when OR was around so, what, 5 years ago? Only three realms from that time even exist anymore. While they are probably pretty much the same, the rest of the island is completely different.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

Atamara has also had a lot of changes. A whole bunch of new realms, and I think everyone is more aware of getting in touch with new nobles.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Chenier

Quote from: Indirik on March 04, 2013, 03:57:37 AM
They talk the talk, but they don't walk the walk. The day they split their realm into three parts, I will believe they are pro-city state. Until then, it's just blowing smoke.

As for EC, you played when OR was around so, what, 5 years ago? Only three realms from that time even exist anymore. While they are probably pretty much the same, the rest of the island is completely different.

Also, just saying good words about city-states while not lifting a finger to help them isn't really being pro-city-state.

The Ceded City Alliance actually stood out for each other. Asylon does squat for the people who it sides with.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

Quote from: Azerax on March 03, 2013, 09:04:27 PM
because of the loss of titles or because you love your island?

Don't be ridiculous. No one would quit for loss of titles, or if they do, then good riddance.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Solari

It's about time someone asked this question. Good job, Azerax.

Chenier

Personally, it'd be because it takes so long to familiarize oneself with a continent and get really integrated in its politics, I just wouldn't feel like re-learning entire continents.

Anaris

Quote from: Chénier on March 04, 2013, 05:23:36 PM
Personally, it'd be because it takes so long to familiarize oneself with a continent and get really integrated in its politics, I just wouldn't feel like re-learning entire continents.

But...that's part of the fun ???
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

Quote from: Anaris on March 04, 2013, 05:24:35 PM
But...that's part of the fun ???

For you, perhaps.

I like being involved in continental affairs, or at least being aware of them. In a ton of realms, you are lucky if you even know what's going on inside your own realm, let alone the continent.

Hard to get immersed when you are totally clueless as to what goes on around you. Rank-and-file isn't my kind of fun.

On BT, I may have lost everything, but I least I know who the actors are, and have a good idea of what's going on a little bit everywhere. I can at least follow the story, when my ability to participate in it is limited. On AT, I was made King and still had pretty much no idea what was going on anywhere and why. Titles are worth nothing compared to knowledge and contacts.

Bluelake

When I first played strongly, my answer to this would definitely be "no". After I've actually lost an island (SEI), and a realm I was pretty much involved in (Falasan on AT), I did quit playing. Not on purpose, and I still loved battlemaster, but I didn't find the strength to get deeply involved in whole other politics in whole new worlds.

So, this time, I'm playing more lightly, and honestly haven't found yet a place I feel like home at, so... if any island sank this time I'd just keep playing. Since it wasn't always true, I'd rather answer for the time when I was most committed.
Today is Thank Wimpie for Being an Awesome Dev Day. Give Wimpie some gratitude for his constant bugfixing, pestering of admins to get things done, and general Wimpieness.

Vellos

Quote from: Chénier on March 04, 2013, 03:17:21 PM
The Ceded City Alliance actually stood out for each other.

Damn right we did.

I've always been sad that Hireshmont's long efforts to turn Beluaterra into a continent of city-state monarchies never worked out... but he was a fun character to play regardless.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Eduardo Almighty

BM is always open to "ambitious" people.

I was very angry when Ikalak was dominating the War Island and Sandalak ruined everything. Soon after the island was closed. I have a small history then in Far East. I had some in Atamara defending Falasan, then I leave the continent as well. Then, some history in Dwilight and Belueterra. I never played in the Colonies (just because the one-turn game).

I would be more specific... I wouldn't ask "if East Continent exploded", but Sirion. That would be really frustrating for me because of the importance of my character there how much I love Sirion, but we always can overcome it with another great characters elsewhere.

Never give up, padawan.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!