Author Topic: Averoth OOC conflicts with GM  (Read 37491 times)

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Averoth OOC conflicts with GM
« Reply #75: April 13, 2011, 08:58:37 PM »
I'd imagine that's why those GM accounts are anonymous to normal accounts. But that doesn't help when the rest of the Dev team is more or less public and have public profiles on their normal accounts.

This is something I think helps to harm the image. A paranoid player can think something like "If they are anonymous, then they can do what they want with out problem".

Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #76: April 13, 2011, 09:04:49 PM »
On Dwilight there are I think at most two such GMs with anonymous special accounts. And they don't actually access the actual code...I think. If they did get involved it would most likely be ICly, and that would involve a ton of daimons crashing into the realm in question.

In fact I recall reading somewhere that those GMs who play daimons in the Zuma Coalition are the type who are there for developing story and have nothing to do with the game code. Seeing as how Averoth, and Thulsoma for that matter, have never seen a hint of a daimon anywhere within several thousand miles of their southernmost regions, it's safe to say that those GMs aren't affecting them in any way.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: April 13, 2011, 09:29:38 PM »
This is something I think helps to harm the image. A paranoid player can think something like "If they are anonymous, then they can do what they want with out problem".

A paranoid player could, if they were willing to ignore the repeated statements that Tom, and only Tom, has the ability to send things live on the active game.  Tim can turn his characters into all-powerful, nigh-indestructible gods capable of crushing armies with a wave of his hand...On the dev server.  To affect the game itself, he has to talk Tom into uploading whatever he coded (and Tom is pretty careful about what he lets into the game from what I've seen).

The only difference between a dev's family and a regular family is that most of the devs don't have to pay for goodies, as they get them as a reward for their various contributions.  Yes, devs can access more information than most players, but using that for any sort of benefit is, obviously, extremely frowned upon and tends to result in Bad Things (tm) happening to you.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Jhaelen Irsei

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: April 13, 2011, 11:53:34 PM »
When my player fought the Crusade against Thulsoma the RP of players of that realm were quite fun and that was a good gaming experience BUT there was always this feelings that those players were upset in RL for things that was happening in the game. They wanted always demonstrate that they were the best players around and others were stupid and dull. The long post from Raviel is the sum of this attitude.

C'mon, it's only a game, I don't get why you're so angry for real! Take it easy and enjoy the current war...perhaps respecting other players.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: April 14, 2011, 01:29:22 AM »
When my player fought the Crusade against Thulsoma the RP of players of that realm were quite fun and that was a good gaming experience BUT there was always this feelings that those players were upset in RL for things that was happening in the game. They wanted always demonstrate that they were the best players around and others were stupid and dull. The long post from Raviel is the sum of this attitude.

C'mon, it's only a game, I don't get why you're so angry for real! Take it easy and enjoy the current war...perhaps respecting other players.

I think this is the biggest problem people I speak with have with some of that group. This continuous desire to prove they are somehow the best players in what is suppose to be a light weight casual games is reminiscent of the worst excesses of the FPS shooter Culture.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80: April 14, 2011, 01:56:33 AM »
Yeah, the real problem right now is everyone is accusing everyone else of something and it only gets heated up. I'd rather if these topics were banned from the Forum as they add a hostile non-wanted aspect to the forum. Let the game play out as it is and the Titans/Tom figure out what's right and wrong. Twisting other people's comments on here and speculating is only creating a dark and hostile atmosphere which BM doesn't stand for.

Please cease your harsh comment and whatnot. Keep the forum a fun place rather than OOC-blaming and flaming. I've had my fair share of it from the SA crew.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: April 14, 2011, 10:17:04 AM »
WHAT WHAT! Someone claims to be better than me?!?!? I´m the one and only winner of BM!
~Violence is always an option!~

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: April 14, 2011, 11:02:55 AM »
Yeah, the real problem right now is everyone is accusing everyone else of something and it only gets heated up. I'd rather if these topics were banned from the Forum as they add a hostile non-wanted aspect to the forum. Let the game play out as it is and the Titans/Tom figure out what's right and wrong. Twisting other people's comments on here and speculating is only creating a dark and hostile atmosphere which BM doesn't stand for.

Please cease your harsh comment and whatnot. Keep the forum a fun place rather than OOC-blaming and flaming. I've had my fair share of it from the SA crew.

YEAH STUPID DUMB SA CREW!!! >:(
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: April 14, 2011, 02:44:25 PM »

.... and that was... a joke, right? Please tell me you mean that as irony.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #84: April 14, 2011, 02:46:06 PM »

YEAH STUPID DUMB SA CREW!!! >:(

Good job catching his hypocrisy, Glaumring! Now back to the lair to think of ways SA can turn this to our advantage!

In all seriousness, don't tell people to stop OOC-blaming and flaming, then turn around and do so yourself.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: April 14, 2011, 05:03:19 PM »
I have downloaded some Sanguis Astroism HAxXor code into the GM mainframe at 0800, I need Tom to get in there and activate 'Behemoth-666' before I head out to my weekly SA meetings IRL. 
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #86: April 14, 2011, 06:21:43 PM »
I have downloaded some Sanguis Astroism HAxXor code into the GM mainframe at 0800, I need Tom to get in there and activate 'Behemoth-666' before I head out to my weekly SA meetings IRL.

I hear they have free punch and pie this week. I'm taking the whole family.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: April 14, 2011, 06:23:56 PM »
I hear they have free punch and pie this week. I'm taking the whole family.

oew! pie! count me in!
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Fury

« Reply #88: April 14, 2011, 06:29:02 PM »
Ordenstaat did the same thing a while back, until it was reported to the Titans, and about half the realm got locked as multis. They also set up their religion "Cult of Orden" with those family funds, and I believe it still exists with 5 priests wandering around in rogue lands, converting peasants.
Hold on there. The only way you would know about Titan reports for sure is if you were a Titan or you made the report yourself. Nor is it right to link using family gold with getting locked as multi-accounting by implying that was the reason half the realm got locked.

As far as I know using family gold was not against the rules. As far as I know the effects of how family gold requests was or was not intended to happen is none of the players' concern.

If visiting the family home and requesting gold did not cause a reduction in honour players would naturally assume that was how it was supposed to work. I didn't know you could keep asking for family gold without lowering your honour back then. My character didn't have a family home in Ordenstaat. None of the founders did. If I did why wouldn't I go home to ask for gold? Why wouldn't anyone? New characters that joined certainly did but everyone was asked to seek family support as there was little tax gold to go around.

If the multi-a/cs were locked it was because they were multi-a/cs. Not because of family gold. As for this "Cult of Orden" religion, I've never heard of it. Nor can you create a religion in secret. My character was there from the beginning and was the longest remaining in Ordenstaat. I would probably be the one to know the fullest details of Ordenstaat.

I take offence if anyone is saying Ordenstaat did something wrong by using a "loophole" and then getting punished by having accounts locked because:

• To call it a loophole after the fact is WRONG as it implies players should know how game mechanics are intended to be applied when players would simply just work within the game mechanics. A bug is a different thing.
  • That accounts were locked on at least 2 separate occasions is a totally different matter and reason.

It has occurred to me that you may be talking about the period when my character had already left. The salient points would still remain.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #89: April 14, 2011, 06:46:37 PM »
Hold on there. The only way you would know about Titan reports for sure is if you were a Titan or you made the report yourself.
Or if he was told by someone who knew for one of those reasons.

Nor is it right to link using family gold with getting locked as multi-accounting by implying that was the reason half the realm got locked.

As far as I know using family gold was not against the rules. As far as I know the effects of how family gold requests was or was not intended to happen is none of the players' concern.

This bears noting, with all the recent kefuffle about family gold.

There is nothing wrong with using family gold.  However, it is not, and was never, meant to be possible to drain your family coffers dry.  It was certainly never meant for family gold to be, essentially, an endlessly renewing source of money for people willing to use it as such.  Moreover, it was never intended for family gold to be a regular source of gold. It's meant for emergencies only.

I should also say, all that is intended to apply to requesting family assistance, and visiting your family home and having your aunt give you gold.  Options available to wealthier families, such as investments, are not and should not be subject to the same limits—because they are limited by the fact that you do have to be rather wealthy to use them.  If you have someone in your realm who's willing to drain his family's 10K family gold down to 2K by investing in every region multiple times, that's completely different than using a dozen relatively new accounts to drain their family coffers completely dry by visiting their family 6 times a day.

If the multi-a/cs were locked it was because they were multi-a/cs. Not because of family gold. As for this "Cult of Orden" religion, I've never heard of it. Nor can you create a religion in secret. My character was there from the beginning and was the longest remaining in Ordenstaat. I would probably be the one to know the fullest details of Ordenstaat.

The religion was founded on the last day Ordenstaat held Rettleville, by its ruler/duke.  I know through purely OOC means that it had no RP basis, nothing written on any of its boards, and no intention of actually attempting to convert any nobles to its worship—or even talk to them if they tried to join.  Its sole purpose was to be a vehicle for the recreation of Ordenstaat by a group that was plainly either OOC friends or one multicheater.  They were eventually all locked as multis.

To call it a loophole after the fact is WRONG as it implies players should know how game mechanics are intended to be applied when players would simply just work within the game mechanics. A bug is a different thing.

That's true, but not complete.  It should be pretty obvious to anyone who actually sits down and thinks about it for more than a second that family gold was never intended to be a bottomless source of gold, and that the limits put on it originally (you can only ask for family assistance when you're low on gold, your aunt will only give you gold when you're low on gold) were never intended to be easily bypassable by sending the gold away or dropping it in a guild so you could just go get more.

It has occurred to me that you may be talking about the period when my character had already left. The salient points would still remain.

As I noted, I believe this was, in fact, the case.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan