Author Topic: Dwilight War Declarations  (Read 46658 times)

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight War Declarations
« Reply #60: March 07, 2013, 04:26:45 AM »
1) FR isn't at war (yet) with Falkirk nor Aurvandil. Kabrinskia was, though, and has sent troops south.
2) No, you haven't seen Astrum/Corsanctum/Iashalur/Morek troops, because they had too low morale to make it all the way south. However, it's clear that the intention to fight was there, and that's what counts in this case.
3) In case I missed it: yes, Aurvandil was able to run high taxes during peacetime. People don't mind being leeched of from if that's the only thing they have to worry about. In war, though, a lot of other worries crop up, and on top of high taxes, the negative feelings pile up.

I get that.  My point here is not to complain about the war declarations on Aurvandil.  There were bugs, bad things happened, northern realms thought they could get there etc...  The point I'm trying to get across now is the war declarations on Falkirk.  Its even further away than Aurvandil so the northern realms can't do anything to them.  Yet they are declaring war.  Why?  The only reason to do so is to cause game effects.  They could send priests or infiltrators but you don't need a war declaration to do so.  I feel that the war declarations on Falkirk are nothing more than a means to cause side effects to the peasants within their realm even though their is no reason for those peasants to fear anything from the north.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: March 07, 2013, 04:29:20 AM »
As far as I can remember I've never seen Morek or Iashalur troops nor Libero Empire or Farronite.  Astrum and Corsanctum made it 1 region south of D'hara IIRC.

Morek has lost one army making attempts to sail to Aurvandil and two other armies in the Paisly area to defend the city.

Iashulur also sent a sprinkling of nobles south to aid in the attack on the Italian Paisly Puppet.

Corsanctum and Astrum have both sent forces a number of times to aid. Most recently just this last week. Corsanctum to Celitberia and Astrum to the Falkirks.

Farronite Republic has sent forces as well. Most recently this past week in Celitberia.

So... yeah. Again, this is a pointless discussion because every realm has indeed sent forces to the war effort. All of them.

I play the General of Terran, I would know.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: March 07, 2013, 04:30:51 AM »

I get that.  My point here is not to complain about the war declarations on Aurvandil.  There were bugs, bad things happened, northern realms thought they could get there etc...  The point I'm trying to get across now is the war declarations on Falkirk.  Its even further away than Aurvandil so the northern realms can't do anything to them.  Yet they are declaring war.  Why?  The only reason to do so is to cause game effects.  They could send priests or infiltrators but you don't need a war declaration to do so.  I feel that the war declarations on Falkirk are nothing more than a means to cause side effects to the peasants within their realm even though their is no reason for those peasants to fear anything from the north.

Astrum's army was on Falkirk's doorstep just a few days ago....
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Zakilevo

« Reply #63: March 07, 2013, 04:37:35 AM »
Astrum's army was on Falkirk's doorstep just a few days ago....

And they got annihilated rather quickly ;)

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: March 07, 2013, 04:47:35 AM »

Just not by Falkirk.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: March 07, 2013, 06:51:43 AM »

By their own allies.

DOH!
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: March 07, 2013, 07:05:31 AM »

I'm going by Vellos' own admission to this fact in a different thread on this forum.
He admits he knew it would hurt but unless you are going to quote where he admitted to doing it supposedly only for those effects, he has done nothing wrong.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: March 07, 2013, 07:12:29 AM »
He admits he knew it would hurt but unless you are going to quote where he admitted to doing it supposedly only for those effects, he has done nothing wrong.

And I think Hireshmont's repeated successful efforts to get northern realms to send (hopeless and futile) armies have clearly demonstrated, no, the war declarations were not just for show.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: March 07, 2013, 07:19:17 AM »
And I think Hireshmont's repeated successful efforts to get northern realms to send (hopeless and futile) armies have clearly demonstrated, no, the war declarations were not just for show.
They aren't as hopeless and futile as you think. If Astrum can attack the Falkirks, they should be able to attack Aurvandil, even if its a crappy attack though looting would make them effective and able to stay longer.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Astinus

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: March 07, 2013, 11:27:58 AM »
The main issue here is how peasants are coded to react to wars: as others pointed out, it doesn't suit a SMA that they protest war declaration from realm they barely have heard before, they should react to battles won and lost, regions taken and more than anything looting.

It should be perfectly fine to realm far away to put pression by declaring war, but if this automatically led to peasants protest then we have a problem

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: March 07, 2013, 11:35:56 AM »
The main issue here is how peasants are coded to react to wars: as others pointed out, it doesn't suit a SMA that they protest war declaration from realm they barely have heard before, they should react to battles won and lost, regions taken and more than anything looting.

It should be perfectly fine to realm far away to put pression by declaring war, but if this automatically led to peasants protest then we have a problem

And does that not suggest any simple way to inoculate yourself against this sort of thing? Simply being at war with someone *does not* cause your realm to resent the war, and go into revolt. You could have the entire island at war with you and suffer no ill effects at all, if you bother to take the simplest of precautions. A few days ambassador/diplomat/priest work and you're done.

If you're going to make a habit about pissing off most of the island, perhaps you should think about that *before* you go ahead and goad them into wars?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: March 10, 2013, 07:37:00 AM »
So on to another war declaration. Asylon vs Terran.

I was not aware that since FR was allied with both Asylon and Terran that in order for Asylon to declare war on Terran they/we (FR) had to drop our alliance. Its seems to me if Asylon wanted a war with Terran they should be able to do so without dropping the alliance with FR even though FR has an alliance with Terran.
Kye Family: Khari (Farronite Republic), Kalidor (Tara), Astridicus (Astrum)

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: March 10, 2013, 07:39:54 AM »
I would have assumed that FR would have had to choose a side...
Kye Family: Khari (Farronite Republic), Kalidor (Tara), Astridicus (Astrum)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: March 10, 2013, 07:41:00 AM »
I would have assumed that FR would have had to choose a side...

Why don't you?  ;D
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Zakilevo

« Reply #74: March 10, 2013, 07:50:13 AM »
FR should join Asylon and together, they should destroy Terran  8)