Author Topic: Food/gold Rebalance  (Read 10822 times)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Re: Food/gold Rebalance
« Reply #30: March 21, 2013, 10:14:38 PM »
We use things like region type, location, presence and type of coastline, percentage of coastline, and I think a couple other things, to allocate population to different sectors of the economy. This determines what percentage of the population does each different thing, such as mining, farming, fishing, hunting, manufacturing, trade, etc. This is modified by quality of that sector for that type. I.e. you can farm in a badlands, but it's not very effective. Fishing in the ocean is great, and better than fishing on a river. The food and gold income from each sector is then calculated. So you can get both food and gold from, say, hunting. But mining only brings in gold. Some of these are further modified by other things, such as population density. Adding together the food and gold produced by all the sectors gives you the final food and gold values for the region.

If we ever do introduce other goods, such as wood and stone, this gives us an easy way to determine which regions produce how much of each, as we already know how many peasants work each sector, and how good that sector is in that region.

Do you take into account things like demand from nearby regions and/or trade routes?

For example, a city, as a manufacturing center, will have a high net demand for raw materials such as ore and timber. If there is a river that runs near the city, then foresting and mining sectors upstream from that city would have a tendency to be the most developed and most productive since the river affords them a huge advantage in getting their goods to the city for much less cost than competing sectors that have to ship overland.

I recognize that that might be a (big) step further than you've bothered to go, I was just curious about the extent of your modeling.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: March 21, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
Regions with coast are assumed to have a larger trade sector employing more of th region's population, and thus get more gold from that sector. Also, they will generate more food due to fishing. Of course that pulls workers from other sectors, such as manufacturing, lumber, mining, etc., which will therefore earn less in that sector. The type of coast determines the magnitude of this effect, and the profitability of it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: March 22, 2013, 12:48:48 AM »
Do you take into account things like demand from nearby regions and/or trade routes?

To answer this question directly and plainly:

No. All values are calculated from the region itself.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: March 22, 2013, 05:29:01 AM »
I'm assuming existing realms are not beng taken into consideration? So while the entire island may end up with more gold (and less food, according to ban), it's entirely possible that an individual realm may end up with considerably less gold?

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #34: March 22, 2013, 06:49:29 AM »
Yeppers.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Zakilevo

« Reply #35: March 22, 2013, 07:03:27 AM »
I'm assuming existing realms are not beng taken into consideration? So while the entire island may end up with more gold (and less food, according to ban), it's entirely possible that an individual realm may end up with considerably less gold?

Heh... That will change many things. Some realms really did benefit from the last change. I wonder if the same realms will benefit more again.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #36: March 22, 2013, 07:42:13 AM »
Cool story bro. Can't believe you're up so late. :P
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.