Author Topic: New Continent? Permadeath/mandatory charcater slot?  (Read 20464 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Didn't you say you would rather wait until the game becomes more balanced? Gathering more players seem to come on now and then but I haven't seen much boost in the number of players so far :(

We need more players. I didn't say we should do a huge marketing campaign right now, but that we need more players is a simple fact.

sharkattack

• Knight
    • View Profile
Tom can you say are there more players playing today than was like 2-4 years ago? Like today's BM average player count vs average player count of 2-4 years ago.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
90% sure there are less.

We used to be around 1600 or so didn't we?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Didn't Tom agree to start Dwilight when we had 2k players? We're down to 1050 registered, 750 playing each week, and 350 daily players.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

Well if we can't make people stay, the player base will continue to shrink.

Older players are slowly leaving the game due to various reasons while new players are not staying that often. In the past half a year, I've seen about 20 new players or so but most of them did not stay more than a month.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
So, what changed?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
So, what changed?

The game got more complicated.

The OOC side of the game shrunk.

The players got older and more interested in very serious gameplay.

Spying and intrigue became far more widespread.

---

Just a few things that come to mind as possibly alienating.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I think you're over-analyzing.

It's basically that first one: the game got more complicated, and wars got more tedious, and land got harder to hold.

The first estate system and TMP hit the game hard. They were bad mistakes in implementation.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Maybe if we had some rigorous, large-scale survey data we could speak more clearly on this.

If only somebody got a feature request for that approved...

Oh wait...

;)

Just razzin' ya.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Maybe if we had some rigorous, large-scale survey data we could speak more clearly on this.

If only somebody got a feature request for that approved...

Oh wait...

;)

Just razzin' ya.

Yeah, yeah, I know...I've still got that flagged in my email.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Well if we can't make people stay, the player base will continue to shrink.

Older players are slowly leaving the game due to various reasons while new players are not staying that often. In the past half a year, I've seen about 20 new players or so but most of them did not stay more than a month.

This is why I thought to start a new continent. It is one thing to wait for new players to join, but what about the rest of us? We're all sitting around going 'what's new?' or, 'what's next?' I new continent would be a lot of fun for us! Or some kind of interesting change, not necessarily a gimmick, but something for all of us to participate in (besides the norm).
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
This is why I thought to start a new continent. It is one thing to wait for new players to join, but what about the rest of us? We're all sitting around going 'what's new?' or, 'what's next?' I new continent would be a lot of fun for us! Or some kind of interesting change, not necessarily a gimmick, but something for all of us to participate in (besides the norm).

BM is not a game of new. It is a game of re-inventing the old. History is fascinating not because of constant expansion, but because of the struggles and changes within the same area.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Why would a survey help? It would mostly get responses from people who are still playing, but those aren't the ones you need to attract.

NireusD.Natalle

• Noble Lord
  • Conan must truly be Conan The Destroyer..
    • View Profile
Don't create another continent.. Just add one more noble and active slot for one year Bm account... So we new player can play 4char.. 3noble 1ady.. Or 4 noble.. Not now have to wait for 20 fame..
Nireus D.Natalle (East Island), Arianna Sherry (Beluaterra), Calista Syrenne (Dwilight), Charlotte Ava (Sunken Vur Hagin)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Don't create another continent.. Just add one more noble and active slot for one year Bm account... So we new player can play 4char.. 3noble 1ady.. Or 4 noble.. Not now have to wait for 20 fame..

No, making the existing players run even more of the game won't solve the problem and most importantly, won't make the game more interesting for new players.