Author Topic: High Toprak  (Read 14118 times)

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: High Toprak
« Reply #15: April 07, 2013, 08:27:49 AM »

Yes, it would be too dangerous to meddle in creating or modifying the religion.

No, no, I mean the rejuvenation of High Toprak has nothing to do with religion. Imagine Dwilight like plant growth. The only parts alive are the fringes and the parts nearest the tip, everything behind, since grown, is "dead". That's what's happened to High Toprak and that is what will happen ultimately to Dwilight.

So I am dreaming up/thinking of a way to introduce a new arena or way for everyone to get active and compete again. A new way that does not challenge the established foundation (Astromancy) but creates something new along with it. More specifically, a new way strictly belonging to High Toprak. Dwilight has four spheres, High Toprak is among the oldest. I believe it should return to the centre light it once had. (Those who've played with Bowie and may have heard or seen some of his speeches surely saw my mode of thinking filtering into him - I've been saying this kind of stuff for years!)

It would not be fair to High Toprak or to Dwilight or to the players trapped in that suffocating place not to try to think up new ways for them to engage the game. That would just be rude.
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: April 07, 2013, 08:44:23 AM »
Really?  Did you read the sermon by Mathurin for Khari and Rynn's wedding?  Where he stood shoulder to shoulder with Baal the Betrayer and complimented his religion saying it was no different or better than SA?

That's a very creative interpretation.

The Sermon on the Mount never stopped medieval Christianity: why should a feel-good wedding sermon?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: April 07, 2013, 11:09:08 AM »
Yeah, thats just one guys opinion. ;)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: April 07, 2013, 11:20:54 AM »
Really?  Did you read the sermon by Mathurin for Khari and Rynn's wedding?  Where he stood shoulder to shoulder with Baal the Betrayer and complimented his religion saying it was no different or better than SA?
Doesn't mean that's how the religion is ran. He can sway the opinion of most on any short term issue, but he hasn't really got anyone actually acting like religious tolerance is ok.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: April 07, 2013, 03:32:40 PM »
There's always been an amusing tension between the moderates and the hardliners in the Church. Makes for great politics.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 07, 2013, 05:52:41 PM »
Its about exciting as butter melt on a wintry day... ::)
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: April 07, 2013, 06:05:51 PM »
I always enjoyed it, as do others. Dwilight doesn't interest me much right now though.

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: April 07, 2013, 06:07:10 PM »
I always enjoyed it, as do others. Dwilight doesn't interest me much right now though.

May I ask why?
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: April 07, 2013, 11:55:46 PM »
Break up Morek. Things will get exciting.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: April 08, 2013, 02:45:46 AM »
I'm sure it does get boring hunting monsters. Maybe the idle Astromancers should try to conduct some war games or something? A light hearted brawl, moderated by the church, for kicks and giggles. All the peasants need is any old excuse, a little diplomat love, and they will be gung-ho to die for no reason.

Might kick off something more interesting, too.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: April 08, 2013, 06:29:45 AM »
Break up Morek. Things will get exciting.

dooo iiiit

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: April 08, 2013, 09:00:05 AM »
I'm sure it does get boring hunting monsters. Maybe the idle Astromancers should try to conduct some war games or something? A light hearted brawl, moderated by the church, for kicks and giggles. All the peasants need is any old excuse, a little diplomat love, and they will be gung-ho to die for no reason.

Might kick off something more interesting, too.

I know a great kingdom that those war games could take place in...Just saying...No walls on the city, and no militia to speak of. ;) *insert innocent whistle here*

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: April 08, 2013, 03:40:49 PM »
May I ask why?

Things have become too... Civilized. That frontier feeling is almost entirely gone since the vast majority of the island is now settled. That feeling was one of the things I enjoyed most about Dwilight. Beyond that, none of the current conflicts interest me. You couldn't pay me to play on either side of a war in which Aurvandil is involved, so yeah...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: April 08, 2013, 03:52:14 PM »
Things have become too... Civilized. That frontier feeling is almost entirely gone since the vast majority of the island is now settled.

This is a sentiment I've seen from a number of people.

Unfortunately, there are only two ways to achieve such a feel on an ongoing basis: continually opening new continents, and performing periodic resets (in whatever form) of one or more continents.

The former is obviously untenable without a continual growth in the playerbase. The latter used to be done on BT, and to a lesser extent on the South Islands before they were sunk, but as you know, Tom has decreed that there will be no more invasions on BT (besides the use of the summon scrolls, which really isn't the same thing).

So sadly, there is currently nowhere for players to go who like that frontier feeling.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: April 08, 2013, 04:13:27 PM »
Thats why I keep saying that we should be breaking things up more and fighting more. The only frontier left is war. The power blocs that exist right now are about maintaining control, the frontier is about gaining control. Thats why I am pushing for more opportunities to fight, smaller alliances, stronger nationalism for realms and more religions to foster conflict. SA has already won the map, you dont need to attain 100% victory to see that. Aurvandiil is barely the last opposing force, Asylon will always be fighting over the 2 or 3 contested lands around its kingdom. There is no way for one force to completely rule the map and who wants to wait for that?Dwilight is already a few years old and the first years were just about gaining control, we've only just now started to fight over lands and its turned into a fight between old and new, established and upstarts. The established old realms have old ancient alliances, ancient federations, ancient economies and hold the majority of the power. The upstarts are FR, Asylon,Swordfell , Falkirk , and Aurvandiil. With the new moot kingdoms perhaps thrown in. They will never combine and equal the established might of SA, there will never be long standing alliances between these kingdoms.
We live lives in beautiful lies...