Author Topic: The Laments of the Old Toren  (Read 2246 times)

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
The Laments of the Old Toren
« Topic Start: April 08, 2013, 11:45:30 PM »
Marching back to Eidulb, Karibash is in a foul mood having missed most the battles.  Following the River Chrystal back east, he can't help but take in the beauty of this land. It is but a small pleasure regarding this whole situation. His passions have grown more fierce ever since donning his armour and marching to war. He can't remember the last time he truly marched out to war; perhaps fighting the Saxons? His loyal steward Edward riding at his side, the Old Toren speaks.

"Edward, when was I made Duke of the Shrine?"

The steward screws his face for a moment in thought. "Why... I can't remember to be honest. I believe it was during the long winter... 19 YD? That is over 3 years ago now."

Karibash ponders. "And when did I bring Aquitain to Astrum? When was it made King of Everguard? Sing my saga."

Edward laughs. "The Great Saxon War ended roughly the winter of 16 YD, when Golden Farrow was conquered. Your last great battle was fought in the Siege of Valkyrja... that was the spring of 14 YD. Aquitain, and by extension the Kingdom of Everguard was made a vassal of the Vasilif of Astrum in the winter of 7 YD... dark days those were. You had just recently been made General of Averoth too, but the King was overthrown in rebellion and you left. You were crowned King of Everguard in the winter of 6 YD, doomed to be her last. A dark ceremony that was, Gelene had just revolted and the Kingdom was in shambles. You did all you could to save us."

Karibash is silent, remembering the past. Edward speaks once more, "The Kingdom of Niselur was founded on the same day, and Virovene fell. Ancient history to modern scholars... but you were an old man even then and I was past my prime!" Edward smirks, hoping to humour his liege. He continues, slightly more sombre "You were made Marquis of Aquitain on a midsummer's eve in 6 YD, unaware of what would happen in the coming months. Early spring in 4 YD you were made the High Adjudicator of Everguard, sworn to defend the laws of the High King. Early in the spring of 1 YD you were one of the 17 original founders of Everguard, having marched into the blackness of the unknown looking for a new life, having landed in Dwilight the previous winter." Edward stops, having exhausted the dates.

They ride for a short while, in silence. The normally rowdy Toren Berserkers have also grown quiet. Karibash finally speaks. "Before then. Sing the saga!"

Edward clears his throat, "We last saw the beautiful walls of the Toren Stronghold in what would have been Autumn in 1 YD. Your brother Xanio died in Autumn, year 1 before Dwilight. You started your career in Toren late winter 6 BD, and you were born... I guess it would be the summer of 19 BD?"

Karibash is silent.

The long winter of 19 YD, made Duke of the Dark Mountains.

He cautiously accepts the title in a formal ceremony, his good friend Duke Kihalin having disappeared. He was given tasks to complete in memory of his friend, he will not fail.

Spring of 14 YD

Goading the Saxons into combat, he fights alongside his newfound brothers tearing down the walls he help build. How curious the world is.

Winter of 7 YD

Greeted by a herald of the Vasilif Ysgarren, he formally acknowledges the surrender of Everguard, as long as the crown is preserved in servitude to the Vasilif. The terms had been negotiated with Vasilia Alexandria, and he shall be forever known as the Last King of Everguard. He finally accepts that Tor has died, and forsaken His chosen people.

Winter of 6 YD

In a small and grim ceremony, he is crowned the High King of Everguard. The Emerald Throne and most regalia has been lost in Gelene, only the fabled crown remains. The High Queen Averyll had been captured by Astrum in battle. Karibash regrets it was not himself.

Summer of 6 YD

His old friend Averyll, as strained as their relationship has been, gladly offers him the Marquis of Aquitain. The night is cool and the wind blows off the Dark Mountains, the untamed west beckoning the rule of Everguard.

Spring of 4 YD

High Queen Averyll has entrusted Karibash as High Adjudicator, to quell the natives of the Kingdom under the rule of the High Queen and the supremacy of Everguard.

Spring of 1 YD

He finally emerges from the wilderness of monsters to see the great Spire of Valkyrja. He meets with Fisc Arylon, who greets him warmly. The promised land for Tor's children, they dream of a time when they shall raise the banners of Everguard from coast to coast of this undiscovered land.

Before

The unmitigated wars of the South-East. Men killed, friends and foes alike. He is a war hero, reknowned for breaking enemy lines so his allies may pour in. Respected and feared. A young man, dreaming of war. A young boy, hiding from Sandalakian warriors in his village.

Karibash chokes. His eyes roll in his head, gasps for air breaking the silence. His men cry out, looking for the assassin. Edward dives from his horse to protect his Lord. Dropping his shield, Karibash slumps forward and rolls off his horse. Pulling off his helm, healers rush forward. The Old Toren's mouth is open still gasping. Sweat rolls over his brow. Suddenly his eyes shoot open, wild and furious. He grabs Edward by the collar, pulls him in and hisses something in a very old dialect of Toren. He throws Edward away before passing out once more. Captain Oldric rushes over to Edward.

"My man, what did he say!?"

Edward is shaking. He murmurs in Captain Oldric's ear. Captain Oldric looks to the Old Toren in shock. Removing his helm, he calls out to the other Berserkers. With a low rumble, they begin the chant of the Toren Death March.