Author Topic: Allison's Eulogies  (Read 32913 times)

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Allison's Eulogies
« Reply #45: April 12, 2013, 06:36:12 AM »
That is just....   +1.  Upvote.  A++++++++++ would buy again.

Bravo.
You should take everything I say with a grain of salt.  But I'm not a werewolf.  Really.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: April 12, 2013, 08:34:56 AM »
I can only agree. Allison pulled me to Kabrinskia as a Trader and quickly rewarded my character. She didn't always tell what she was exactly up to, but it tended to end well in my character's eyes, which created an immense loyalty and trust to Allison. I'm sad to see her go. Adam would have never been like this if it wasn't for Allison.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #47: April 12, 2013, 11:45:23 AM »
I have still yet to figure out if Gustav knew how he truly felt regarding Allison. At one point I was signing his letters as the "Wolf of Kabrinski". Then later, after the Kabrinskia ordeal where he barely managed to keep Golden Farrow from starving, he began to have a deep sense of betrayal.

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: April 12, 2013, 12:52:26 PM »
Allison was one of the main reasons why SA has been so much fun over the years, and though Constantine ended up hating her, I have to say as a player that Allison was one of my favorite characters in Dwilight.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: April 12, 2013, 02:03:01 PM »
I did some ruthless stuff and I wish I could remember it all.  There are lots of good stories associated with Allison.

Some of my favorites:

1. Getting herself elected as Averoth's first ruler just so she could attempt to sabotage the realm.

2. Auto da Fe-ing Aram Stein.

3. Drilling a hole in her head to let in the light of the Maddening.

There were other good moments too, many of them already mentioned.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: April 12, 2013, 03:07:16 PM »
She was the one who started calling people "Brother" or "Sister" in SA. that kinda stuck.
Ugh! She deserved to die for that alone!

Now, if I could only kill someone for the whole damned milking stool crap...  >:(
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: April 12, 2013, 09:35:54 PM »
Ugh! She deserved to die for that alone!

Now, if I could only kill someone for the whole damned milking stool crap...  >:(

Hmmm...

I should have Hireshmont give a sermon about the milking stool....
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: April 12, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
You sadistic bastard...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: April 12, 2013, 10:42:21 PM »
THat's because Terran went into psychotic mode and everyone started flaming her like wild jackals.

This is made-up, as is most everything you have to say about Terran. I don't even know who you are but I sure am glad I don't play with you anymore.

She had zero impact on the place because she never played. She joined the realm but she refused categorically (not occasionally) to do stuff that two-day old characters could do. She had a total disregard for in-character hierarchy, which was not unusual but she didn't even bother to hide it (which was), and she went around calling everybody by their first name all the time. Plenty of people squeak by on phones and cut corners from time to time. When they meet the minimum standard the rest of the time, I at least don't even notice when it's absent because I can tell the intention is there.

None of that is mutually exclusive with being a good or reliable BM player or mentor on how to get ahead in the game. I never 'got' Allison, though, not as a villain or as anything else. It was a player who knew the ropes who tried to get ahead. But the player was not playing the same BM I play, and certainly not anything like a 'serious medieval' version, but then that's been a joke for a while now.

In other words, all those guides and how-tos not just for SMA but for basic BM conduct? She was a poster child for the 'don't' column, but obviously the player is good at BM and reliable so her characters get a pass on all this because reliable players are a much more valuable commodity today than they used to be.

There are plenty of players who don't really go into a lot of medieval fluff. Every Indirik character I've ever seen comes to mind. They're all business and they're not about to get hung up on social details. That's fine. But that is quite a bit more effort than any Kabrinski I've ever seen.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: April 12, 2013, 10:48:01 PM »
You sadistic bastard...

I'm gonna milk this for all it's worth.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: April 13, 2013, 12:39:18 AM »
This is made-up, as is most everything you have to say about Terran. I don't even know who you are but I sure am glad I don't play with you anymore.

She had zero impact on the place because she never played. She joined the realm but she refused categorically (not occasionally) to do stuff that two-day old characters could do. She had a total disregard for in-character hierarchy, which was not unusual but she didn't even bother to hide it (which was), and she went around calling everybody by their first name all the time. Plenty of people squeak by on phones and cut corners from time to time. When they meet the minimum standard the rest of the time, I at least don't even notice when it's absent because I can tell the intention is there.

None of that is mutually exclusive with being a good or reliable BM player or mentor on how to get ahead in the game. I never 'got' Allison, though, not as a villain or as anything else. It was a player who knew the ropes who tried to get ahead. But the player was not playing the same BM I play, and certainly not anything like a 'serious medieval' version, but then that's been a joke for a while now.

In other words, all those guides and how-tos not just for SMA but for basic BM conduct? She was a poster child for the 'don't' column, but obviously the player is good at BM and reliable so her characters get a pass on all this because reliable players are a much more valuable commodity today than they used to be.

There are plenty of players who don't really go into a lot of medieval fluff. Every Indirik character I've ever seen comes to mind. They're all business and they're not about to get hung up on social details. That's fine. But that is quite a bit more effort than any Kabrinski I've ever seen.

I suspect your expectations of Allison were a bit unrealistic from the get-go.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #56: April 13, 2013, 01:52:49 AM »

This.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: April 13, 2013, 02:00:52 AM »
For the short time I played with Allison, I enjoyed it. I got some valuable information describing Aurvandil's plans, thanks to her.
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: April 13, 2013, 02:05:41 AM »
Scarlett, I read through Roleplaying Guidelines and SMA, which Allison adheres to the best that I know. The only issue was titles/forms of address which even has stated with it,
The most important part about this, however, is to create and sustain the proper atmosphere, not to be fanatic about names or titles.
By the way when I checker the RP primer, it also stated:
Mistakes and slips of the tongue were commonplace and often overlooked.
So instead of being an ass over titles you could complement Allison on being the most medieval noble in BM there is (or at least that I know of).
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: April 13, 2013, 02:14:23 AM »
So instead of being an ass over titles you could complement Allison on being the most medieval noble in BM there is

'Medieval' doesn't mean 'helped me out that one time.' I don't even care about being the 'most medieval' and the bar to satisfy anybody I play with has never been very high. There's no two ways about 'I don't care about this title stuff, it's not important,' though.

Mistakes and slips of the tongue were commonplace. Purposeful disregard of station was not.

My expectations for BM RP have been in the toilet since 2007 when most of the RPers left. This thread is a perfect example of why. Just like most of the threads on the Dwilight board.

This isn't a case of 'poor player doesn't meet some jerk's high expectations,' by the way. I have seen a lot of what Allison has done and the player is clearly dedicated and intelligent. This is not about lack of ability. It's lack of giving a !@#$, which is not compatible with the label 'serious.'

Players are the most scarce resource in BM, especially on Dwilight. Someone with organizational ability and knowledge of BM, both of which Allison's player has, is invaluable from a gameplay point of view. You (Penchant) and others are so caught up in winning that you don't care about what used to bring people to BM: not where you're going but how you get there.

So sure, I'm an ass about titles.  Labels and words are important, and what Dwilight says it is and what it actually is are largely unrelated. Not even talking about the Zuma here. I don't even know why there is still a 'report an SMA violation' button.

when I checker the RP primer

I have a pretty good idea about what it says. I wrote it.