Author Topic: To join realm - Swordfell or D'Hara?  (Read 36256 times)

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: To join realm - Swordfell or D'Hara?
« Reply #15: April 14, 2013, 09:17:42 PM »
:)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: April 14, 2013, 09:20:58 PM »
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #17: April 14, 2013, 09:28:25 PM »
If I had my choice, the Farronite Republic would already be tearing the place apart. As it is, our leader is a tad bit more diplomatic...

Speaking of the Farronite Republic, we could a few active nobles. We're currently taking control of the regions to the south of us. Currently there is some contention regarding Inklen, but if Phantaria doesn't act soon, we'll take that as well.

Daimall

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: April 14, 2013, 09:30:58 PM »
Come join Nisuler! We have lands for the taking and we have been getting more an more active as of late.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: April 14, 2013, 09:33:45 PM »
The main argument is not that it might get gobbled up, though it should be considered, but rather that the very small number of nobles make the potential for interaction incredibly low. Unless you like limiting yourself to talking with just one other dude, that is.

Micro realms are good for promotions, but not for RP and overall chatter or interactions.

Its as good as the effort the nobles put into the realm. Who cares how long it lasts or how awesome it was. It helps set a trajectory for the nobles of that realm to develop RP and their own unique culture. It is up to you how it looks.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 14, 2013, 09:44:41 PM »
Phantaria is quiet, we need more nobles.

Why not come join it? Big, chatty realm don't become big, chatty realms unless people decide to make them that way at some point!

There isn't necessarily a perfect correlation between large and chatty. I've been in relatively small realms that wouldn't shut up as well as in realms with almost a hundred nobles (back when BM had more players and no Dwilight) where you would hear noble 89 drop a pin.

I'm still leaning toward either D'Hara or Swordfell. That means I'm either stubborn or you from other realms haven't put in enough effort to sway me  ;)

I feel like I understand D'Hara, what it is. I'm not sure I can say the same for Swordfell so I'd really appreciate more information about life there. Don't ask me what, just tell me what you know  :)

EDIT: Right! I do have "a what". Religion! Is Swordfell all SA? What is D'Hara?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:48:05 PM by Kain »
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: April 14, 2013, 10:14:53 PM »
Swordfell is largely SA, but allows nobles to have their own faiths (so long as you don't preach or build shrines). Our ruler is a pagan that the church is very antsy with, as well as a few other religious pariahs that SA ain't too happy about are hanging around.

I guess the best introduction to Swordfell would be the wiki page http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Swordfell. There is also the Swordfell thread where we vented quite a bit http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,3666.msg87615.html#msg87615.

As far as life in Swordfell? Mostly fighting undead/monsters, rebuilding the area (which was basically uninhabited when we started), and trying to figure out what life in Swordfell is ourselves. I went from 11h/2p to 53h/17p in a Dwilight year or two, so I stress the "fighting undead/monsters" part more than the rest.

Oh, and watching Sevastian's and Bowie's antics. That may become the great Fellish pastime.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: April 14, 2013, 10:40:24 PM »
Swordfell might be the last place on Dwi with a frontier feel to it. I won't reiterate previous statements:)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #23: April 14, 2013, 10:47:01 PM »
As for D'Hara, a fine thread was started called "What Makes a D'Haran." The thread was started after Rynn founded that Tandareen council (named for an initiative called for by Ismail Tandaros) to answer that very question IG and update the Book of D'Hara on the wiki, which in and of itself is a great resource. That being said, D'Hara does what it can to stay OUT of war. that means lots of politicking, and the last election cycle was especially fun

The best part about both realms? They are not mutually exclusive. You can join one and switch if you find it not to your liking. Both realms are on very friendly terms.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: April 14, 2013, 11:25:59 PM »
As for religion, D'Hara used to be like 95% Verdis Elementum, but that religion has since decayed and Sanguis astroism is the main faith now. There's a few of lurian faiths, like Aether Pyrism I think.

The realm is religiously open, but sovereignty of the lords is quite a big deal, so nobody gets to do any preaching without permission though.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: April 14, 2013, 11:43:21 PM »
Basically I'm hoping to find a fun new realm with lots of chatter if that is possible. Not too big. So far my idea is Swordfell or D'Hara. What do you guys think?

I can't speak for D'Hara or Swordfell, but Luria Nova has a lot of chatter, and the playerbase there is one of the best I've ever played with in BM. The leaders are very responsive and focused on making sure the entire playerbase including the knights have fun and are valued. There have been perhaps 7 lordship appointments in the past two weeks for various reasons, and one thing Luria is known for is a very distinctive culture.

Of course, Luria Nova is one of the larger realms on Dwilight, however it doesn't function as most large realms do. The realm is very decentralized in terms of dukes having a large amount of influence and lords also holding a lot of sway in terms of how things go. It is possible that Luria Nova will split off into multiple realms soon, but that isn't assured. In general, each duke tends to operate their duchy as its own individual realm, with duchy referendums and the like depending upon which Duke.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: April 14, 2013, 11:49:32 PM »
In my personal, extremely biased opinion, Swordfell is a brand new untamed, virgin realm, which means to you that you can not only build your character the way you want but you have the chance to build a brand new realm the way you want (with everyone elses ideas flying by) - that's the pro. The con is that it will likely be you, me, and Lord Enoch building the whole thing. Everyone else is contempt with their titles. They speak up once and a while but nothing substantial. That's not to say that they are bad guys, I like'em! But in terms of taking advantage of the HUGE opportunity that Swordfell presents us there really isn't a matchbook to ignite socially. I pray every night that the other players take notice of what they have and get active. Meh, they do what they can.

As for D'Hara, it has a great history/tradition, a great playerbase and a well established social system. I miss my days playing in D'Hara (and to be honest, but don't tell anyone else, I have been trying to transform the realms I've lived in to D'Haran-esque realms. And I mean that socially. We had tons of fun RPing together there. I guess I should say 'back in the day' because maybe only two or three of the original D'Haran players are still there. Those were my favourite times though). If they continued that social tradition than D'Hara is a plus plus.

As for religion, Swordfell is SA but not a theocracy. If I say more they will invade and depose me :/
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: April 15, 2013, 12:14:50 AM »
We're supposed to be friends!

That sums up Dwilight pretty well. ;)

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: April 15, 2013, 12:44:22 AM »
As Daimall said, do come to Niselur. Communicative and eager nobles are heartily welcomed and there is land to be had quickly if you're a proven noble. Republics will only smother you in needless voting and elections ;)

Surprisingly, the chit-chat has greatly increased in Niselur in the last few weeks. No doubt that the several new families we received have brought some freshness with them, and this trend we are looking to continue. The difference between prior and post rebellion Niselur is pretty large, and the political courses we are taking should even further increase this difference for the better.

The endless green lands of Niselur can become a cozy home, and the hardened steppe-warriors can teach you how to ride on the horseback with great skill. The realm theme is the ancient tradition of fielding as much cavalry as we can, and we pride ourselves in our riders, locally called, the Rinnon. Come and participate in the wake of the new rising power of the north! :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:48:33 AM by Arrakis »
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: April 15, 2013, 01:26:57 AM »
I can't speak for D'Hara or Swordfell, but Luria Nova has a lot of chatter, and the playerbase there is one of the best I've ever played with in BM. The leaders are very responsive and focused on making sure the entire playerbase including the knights have fun and are valued. There have been perhaps 7 lordship appointments in the past two weeks for various reasons, and one thing Luria is known for is a very distinctive culture.

Of course, Luria Nova is one of the larger realms on Dwilight, however it doesn't function as most large realms do. The realm is very decentralized in terms of dukes having a large amount of influence and lords also holding a lot of sway in terms of how things go. It is possible that Luria Nova will split off into multiple realms soon, but that isn't assured. In general, each duke tends to operate their duchy as its own individual realm, with duchy referendums and the like depending upon which Duke.

Then again, the Lurias' biggest export is exiles. The southern realms are full of them!
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron