Author Topic: Inexpugnable cities  (Read 7488 times)

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Inexpugnable cities
« Reply #15: April 11, 2013, 12:14:58 AM »
But that isn't a siege. That's an archer fight over walls, which was pointless.

Pointless only if you have no bowmen! depending on the number of bowman you have, you can do a lot of damage!   ;D And it's a battle than will affect the region morale and production... and if this army can loot, etc... the region will little by little crumbing. Not exactly a siege but the effects would be more or less similar.

And, or course, the defending army, or the attacking one can always attack (as you said).

Of course if not perfect, but (I think) it can be made without destroying and rebuilding all the battle system.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: April 11, 2013, 06:26:02 AM »
Actually, you could just make it so that bringing food through only the harbor is less efficient, making you lose more food than you buy. (off the top of my head number, 75 out of 100 bushels get lost due to space on ships, ships getting wrecked in storms, pirates, etc.)

*waits for a D'Haran to chime in about how the food system is a Lurian plot*
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: April 11, 2013, 04:19:22 PM »
When food supplies were running out, and a sally was suicide,

You have just described the Christian sally at the siege of Antioch. They were outnumbered and starving. The situation was so hopeless that people were literally laying down in the street to die.

Then somebody discovered 'the holy lance' (uh-huh) and they decided that they would ride out like God wanted them to and go out riding alongside the saints.

They smashed the Turks, who had a huge army but were disorganized.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: April 12, 2013, 12:29:58 AM »
You have just described the Christian sally at the siege of Antioch. They were outnumbered and starving. The situation was so hopeless that people were literally laying down in the street to die.

Then somebody discovered 'the holy lance' (uh-huh) and they decided that they would ride out like God wanted them to and go out riding alongside the saints.

Epic.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: April 12, 2013, 12:34:15 AM »

Did anyone else just think of Helm's deep?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 12, 2013, 03:05:09 AM »
It made me wonder how many "holy lances" were found without history ever mentioning them because of the utter failure of the suicide charge.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: April 12, 2013, 03:08:45 AM »
It made me wonder how many "holy lances" were found without history ever mentioning them because of the utter failure of the suicide charge.

This holy lance only had one charge left when found, apparently.

The success at Antioch was too much for Peter Bartholomew's skeptics. Peter's visions were far too convenient and too martial, and he was openly accused of lying. Challenged, Peter offered to undergo ordeal by fire to prove that he was divinely guided. Being in Biblical lands, they chose a Biblical ordeal: Peter would pass through a fiery furnace and would be protected by an angel of God. The crusaders constructed a path between walls of flame; Peter would walk down the path between the flames. He did so, and was horribly burned. He died after suffering in agony for twelve days. There was no more said about the Holy Lance, although one faction continued to hold that Peter was genuine and that this was indeed the true Lance.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: April 12, 2013, 04:44:24 AM »
Did anyone else just think of Helm's deep?
No, but that is perfect.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: April 12, 2013, 04:28:44 PM »
Hey, under those circumstances, I'd manufacture a Holy Lance too.

'So either everybody dies...or we set one priest on fire?'

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: April 17, 2013, 01:40:42 AM »
The last time I saw a heavily defended city fall in a huge battle was Anacan in 2006 (though I don't play much on Atmarra or BT).

Given that the only option is assault and that there is no real 'siege' mechanism, this is consistent. Most medieval sieges were won by endurance or intrigue and not 'let's all go charge that giant wall'

I was at the seige of Anacan!
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: April 22, 2013, 05:34:12 PM »
Surely omitted in ways to break sieges is an allied force coming to relieve the fort.