Author Topic: KRB What do you think about this?  (Read 21186 times)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: KRB What do you think about this?
« Reply #30: April 24, 2013, 06:20:04 AM »
I have to agree with Norrel here.

I see BM as a collaborative story. A story that has heroes and villains. A story that depicts horrible acts and honorable ones.

Some players might take this too far and get too personal and that might prove problematic but I have not had such issues here. Heck, I have personally written a few RPs that might be considered borderline. I like to think they were tasteful, but others might disagree. Generally, such RPs are just contributions to the story in my opinion. They add flavor and depth to this collaborative work we all enjoy.

Additionally, I have no problem with works of fiction depicting rape, so I have no problem seeing it depicted in character, in game. Just as I do not automatically consider an author who writes a rape scene as a twisted freak, I will likewise not assume the same of a player that writes a RP about rape.

If i feel that someone is getting out of line, I will talk to them OOC, report it, ignore them or all of the above. There are ways of dealing with this both in character and out of character.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: April 24, 2013, 08:20:49 AM »
In SMA KRB should be the only loot option that doesn't incur a morale penalty.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: April 24, 2013, 08:41:18 AM »
In SMA KRB should be the only loot option that doesn't incur a morale penalty.

I agree that it should have some effect on morale (maybe by giving it to KRBers instead of taking it away from people who don't), but I get the feeling that a lot of people would go nuts.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: April 24, 2013, 09:44:12 AM »
Yeah unfortunately neckbeards are both middle ages enthusiastic and massive white knights.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #34: April 24, 2013, 09:56:50 AM »
Anaris said a lot of my thoughts, and Kwanstein has rounded it up.

One, I don't think we need to be overprotective, even of children. The world isn't all nice and fluffy and by the time they can read and play a game like this, they already know that. Having people deal with these subjects in a safe way like a game, book, play, etc. is probably the absolute best option we have, definitely better than 1st hand experience.

Two, rape is horrible. If you think it is the most horrible thing that people are capable of, think again - we are a lot more creative than that. Do NOT follow this link if you are squeamish or want to sleep tonight, and that's even though the one image in it is perfectly SFW: http://www.mintpressnews.com/court-taylor-responsible-for-sierra-leone-crimes/ -- quite honestly, if I were given a choice between that and being raped, I'd take the rape any day. And I'm a man, you know what that means. Nevertheless, all these things are horrible and the world could use a lot less of all of them.

Three, rape is part of the game because it is part of war in the setting of the game. From the bible to at least WW2, rape was an official part of the doctrine of warfare, with official orders of mass-rape existing. After WW2 I think it pretty much became officially disliked, but you'd have to be living in a fantasy world to think it's not very much a part of war today.

And finally, I do believe that if this inclusion triggers some in-character interaction and some out-of-character thinking about the matter, we've all done ourselves a service. Ignoring evil things by pretending they don't exist is the worst way of handling them. Unfortunately, it's become the modus operandi of the western world.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: April 24, 2013, 01:09:31 PM »
That's true enough. In fact, one of the reasons that chivalry was created was to put restraints on what a person could and couldn't do in terms of violence. One theory is that part of why the chivalric code came into being was to protect noblewomen from male violence.

Specifically in terms of the game, I don't think it's appropriate because having an option to rape is just an arbitary choice, and many modern players (women, in particular) will feel uneasy about it. Equally, saying character's soldiers have the option to rape because it happened in history will only carry the argument so far. For example, there's the 'Kill, rape, and burn' option. But there isn't an option that says 'Kill babies' or 'kill everyone with a different skin tone'. Both of those things happened in medieval times (and are still happening) but there are no options to do that in the game, presumably for moral reasons.

Odds are the TLs aren't doing the raping, but the troops are. And the chivalric code was far from universally adopted... raping certainly existed back then, as it does today. Warfare always generates a lot of it.

Maybe there should be a "kill babies" options. As for skin tone, I don't think that medieval europe had quite a lot of that. Different skin tones were in foreign lands. At which point any case of killing was killing different skin tones.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: April 24, 2013, 02:28:26 PM »
Odds are the TLs aren't doing the raping, but the troops are. And the chivalric code was far from universally adopted... raping certainly existed back then, as it does today. Warfare always generates a lot of it.

The reason this thread was started was, I believe, the amount of graphical rape-related RP in Thalmarkin, where it was the nobles who portrayed their bloodlust. Not just their soldiers.

Maybe adopting the habit of adding a [NSFW] tag to any RP containing graphical imagery would be enough to satifsy all parties?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: April 24, 2013, 02:35:07 PM »
No...I think that strongly discouraging "graphical rape-related RP" is actually a good way of going forward, personally.

I don't see any good reason to want that kind of thing in BattleMaster. There's quite a long distance from "this is something that happened in the period, and it would be foolish to try to ignore it" to "yes, please describe your heinous, brutal acts in as much detail as possible, please."
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #38: April 24, 2013, 02:43:46 PM »
No...I think that strongly discouraging "graphical rape-related RP" is actually a good way of going forward, personally.

I don't see any good reason to want that kind of thing in BattleMaster. There's quite a long distance from "this is something that happened in the period, and it would be foolish to try to ignore it" to "yes, please describe your heinous, brutal acts in as much detail as possible, please."

I would be on board for this.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: April 24, 2013, 03:46:12 PM »

Yeah, I don't think people want to read that, and even if they do, this is not the place to find it, or write it...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: April 24, 2013, 03:58:25 PM »
If it is that bad, start reporting it to the Magistrates.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: April 24, 2013, 04:19:13 PM »
When I started this, I really wanted to know what people think about this, specially the women that play this game, but I guess we are too few. I wanted also to know why we have this option, and Tom and Anaris answered it, so thank you.
I had no formed opinion about this and that's why I posted it here. It was something that was bothering me and that I think cannot be treated slightly as it has been.
Kill, rape and burn is terrible and need to be treated as terrible, is my opinion. There are other things worse than rape, indeed and Sierra Leona is only one of them. This doesn't mean everything less terrible can be accepted.

My conclusion about this is that from now on I will deal with it in a different way IC. Cat will still refuse to KRB (and I still don't see how we can send women to KRB) and deal with the consequences of it.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: April 24, 2013, 06:05:35 PM »
It may surprise some of you that similar discussions were had ... by actual medieval nobles!

The salient points here:

- It is true that we have a really hard time imagining the brutality not just of war but of everyday life in the middle ages. There is a reason why one of the seminal books on the subject is called 'the calamitous 14th Century.'  Not the 'mostly pretty bad' - but calamity. Disaster. Oh !@#$ bad.
- Nobles would be hardened to this kind of thing in wartime, and to some extent even women, at least the ones who went along for long campaigns - but 'hardened to' doesn't mean 'accepting.' Chivalry regulated the behavior of nobles, not your regular guy in the army, and for the bulk of the middle ages armies were not professional soldiers with discipline but levies. One of the unwritten rewards for going on campaign was that you could help yourself to whatever loot and ladies you could get. 'Sacking a city' meant 'stealing everything that wasn't bolted down, kidnapping or at least borrowing all the womenfolk, and burning part or all of it down.'
- Some resistance to this sort of thing is not ahistorical. Henry V famously forbade his army from this kind of thing, but it was a really big deal that he did and that he was able to enforce it. Shakespeare mentions this in the arc between Henry IV and Henry V when then-Prince Hal has a bunch of unsavory drinking buddies who go on campaign with him to France in Henry V as soldiers. One of them does 'loot'. Prior to that:

(Henry IV Act I. ii)
FALSTAFF: Yea, and so used it that were it not here apparent
   that thou art heir apparent--But, I prithee, sweet
   wag, shall there be gallows standing in England when
   thou art king? and resolution thus fobbed as it is
   with the rusty curb of old father antic the law? Do
   not thou, when thou art king, hang a thief.

PRINCE HENRY: No; thou shalt.

This is interpreted (by Falstaff) as a big joke, like 'you'll be in charge of hanging thieves,' but the double entendre is that Falstaff will himself be hanged as a thief, which (** SHAKESPEARE SPOILERS **) is exactly what happens - in France while on campaign.

The repugnance of the issue is not new. Nobles that were inclined to do it would probably be more likely to do it at home with the villager's daughter than on the warpath - remember that peasants were 'dirty' so it's not like other nobles would high five you for running around the city you'd just sacked and helping yourself, though I'm sure there were exceptions as chivalry was hardly universal. Particularly the Albigensian Crusade where you had French people killing other French people, women and children included - if you were going to burn them at the stake anyway, probably your usual social mores might get suspended, since the guys doing the killing in that one were not your Round Table types.

I thought that Jenred went about this the right way on the FEI. He presented it as a question of self-interest: anything that damaged food production damaged the realm - somebody's realm - so by burning farmland or bushels you might be hurting yourself (and this idea was helped by a long starvation period).

One issue with BM's implementation of this is that the motivation for letting your soldiers get away with that stuff isn't present in BM. If you were a 12th century noble with a thousand guys under your command and you were five hundred miles from home, you had better be paying them a lot (unlikely) or else giving them a lot of distractions, of which this was one. BM's 'troop morale' sort of takes this into account but even being the historical nut that I am I would have a hard time writing code for 'push rape button, get morale bonus.' And I'm fine with that disconnect.

My only complaint on the subject is when people write RPs about it involving their nobles. Not that it couldn't happen because it certainly could, but because frankly we're just not good enough writers to address that kind of thing and have the result be anything other than vulgar. RP can do a lot of things - it can narrate a story, enhance a setting, or reveal something about a character or characters that is applicable somehow to the game. Rape is just one of the third rails of writing fiction and I have never, ever seen it employed to good effect in BM. It's tough to make policy based on that idea but if it were up to me, I'd just have it on the list of things you probably just shouldn't RP, ever.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 06:07:54 PM by Scarlett »

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: April 24, 2013, 08:06:35 PM »
As for skin tone, I don't think that medieval europe had quite a lot of that. Different skin tones were in foreign lands. At which point any case of killing was killing different skin tones.

You're wrong. It was pretty widespread inside medieval Europe too. Jews were often identified by skin tone, and it wasn't that unusual for them to be massacred wholesale. See, for example, the Clifford's Tower massacre in York: http://www.historyofyork.org.uk/themes/norman/the-1190-massacre.

There's also the gypsies/roma who migrated to Europe during the Middles Ages and have been persecuted ever since (often being identified by their skin tone: http://euroheritage.net/gypsieshistory.shtml).

I know that's getting away from the main point of this thread, but I thought it was good to point it out.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 10:09:31 PM by Foxglove »

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: April 24, 2013, 08:23:36 PM »
I dont think we need to stay strict to the point.
I have my answer yet. We can go deep in any other discussion related to the main point. Scarlett said it beutifuly. We are not writers, every RP end up just being vulgar.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."