Author Topic: So I noticed something on IRC today...  (Read 14871 times)

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
Re: So I noticed something on IRC today...
« Reply #15: May 04, 2013, 07:19:34 PM »
Any time I log in I get molested by a puppet chicken or something else random, so I never really log onto the BM IRC

because it hurts my brain.

Its a dolphin.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: May 04, 2013, 08:49:26 PM »

Why use IRC? Why not just speak in the game? Wont IRC just divert players from actual BM?
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: May 04, 2013, 11:44:57 PM »
Why use IRC? Why not just speak in the game? Wont IRC just divert players from actual BM?

+1

I'm gonna go tell everyone on IRC that now.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: May 05, 2013, 12:22:22 AM »

Speaking ingame is like playing the football match, talking on IRC is like reminiscing about the match with your mates over a beer.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: May 05, 2013, 02:17:02 AM »
And molesting people with dolphin puppets doesnt fly in BM.

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: May 05, 2013, 07:31:14 AM »
I am glad that you weren't there when we had a new one at IRC tonight so you couldn't scary him :p
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: May 05, 2013, 07:54:13 PM »
I missed one! Damnit!

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: May 07, 2013, 07:03:02 AM »
You shouldn't do this with new ones. We try to get new players and you scare them all.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: May 07, 2013, 07:05:35 AM »
Do not!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: May 07, 2013, 02:00:02 PM »
I've been trying to get people to stop being rude to new IRCers for years.

People like Stabbity don't seem to realize that their offensive behaviour might not be simply dismissed by people who haven't been exposed to it for years.

I guess to them, it's just far more important that they be allowed to continue their stupid, immature little "d'hur-hur-hur"-inducing pranks than it is to make sure that new people on IRC feel welcomed and included.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: May 07, 2013, 03:25:31 PM »
I've tried to find the family but he either deleted it or is in another island.
Seriously Stabbity, one think is to play with us that know and will ignore it.
Another is to make this with someone you never saw before.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: May 07, 2013, 04:38:40 PM »
Speaking ingame is like playing the football match, talking on IRC is like reminiscing about the match with your mates over a beer.

This. And there isn't a lot of IC stuff happening on IRC. The forums serve a similar purpose to IRC, but good luck finding a thread specific to a realm or war that hasn't been crapped up.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: May 08, 2013, 04:57:04 PM »

BM doesn't have an IC chat function.

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: May 11, 2013, 03:37:55 PM »
IRC is good, for many reasons and I can least a few:

+ Players can get to now the player, not only the char
+ Players can have their questions answered in real time
+ Players can share jokes, make fun of themselves, have fun together
+ Players can share information about the game
+ Players can RP in real time and later post it to the game
All this, and I am sure there are many others, improve the game, don't divert from it.

- Players can troll other Players
- Players can get angry with other Players
- Players can confused the player with the char (some players act as their chars at IRC which is extremely weird)

I can share a weird experience from another game. People used msn instead of IRC. We tried IRC but didn't work.
There, everyone talks IC even at msn probably because there is a tavern IG that is a chat for 7 people only (but you can have lots of taverns). At the tavern, you are supposed to be IC but not at MSN. But this is a characteristic of this specific game and is not good, not good at all. When those people came to Facebook they did the same. They act as their chars at Facebook. Each of them created first a game account and later a personal account.
We had good times at msn, we had parties and we did good RP there too but what happen is that the RP stays at the MSN, were almost never posted to the game. The game doesn't have a good message system like BM. No "send to all realm" opiton so, people use forum to RP. That's why I had antagonism against forum before. Forum for me was just a really bad experience.

Chaotrance13

« Reply #29: May 13, 2013, 02:31:41 PM »
I've been trying to get people to stop being rude to new IRCers for years.

People like Stabbity don't seem to realize that their offensive behaviour might not be simply dismissed by people who haven't been exposed to it for years.

I guess to them, it's just far more important that they be allowed to continue their stupid, immature little "d'hur-hur-hur"-inducing pranks than it is to make sure that new people on IRC feel welcomed and included.

Exactly why I don't use IRC. For a start, if people behave on there like they do on these forums (and in-game at times) then it's a waste of time and effort just for aggression, rudeness, douchebaggery and the like. A pity, really, as I'm sure they're in the minority - but as always, it's the minority who spoil things for the majority.