Author Topic: Manual Government Change - Terran  (Read 30646 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Manual Government Change - Terran
« Reply #75: May 15, 2013, 10:32:47 PM »
Having a ruler election fail should, without anything else required, result in anarchy.

If it does not, then I believe that to be a bug.

Sounds good.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: May 16, 2013, 08:12:38 PM »
The ruler election failed. We got this message:

Election Failed!   (13 hours, 54 minutes ago)
The referendum "Vote for the Ruler" has ended. Here is the final tally:
8 abstentions
20 votes were not cast.

There were no valid choices for this referendum, so there was obviously no winner.

With the failure of the Ruler election, your realm is spiraling down into anarchy. The functioning of government is almost completely disrupted. Elections will begin shortly in the capital for a new ruler.

As a reminder, the full text of the referendum was:
This is an election for the position of Ruler (Grandmaster), initiated automatically because the position was vacated.

Only dukes will vote, representing their duchy.

So far, no election for ruler has begun, and I don't see an option to claim the rulership.

Any advice?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: May 16, 2013, 08:26:24 PM »
The ruler election failed. We got this message:

So far, no election for ruler has begun, and I don't see an option to claim the rulership.

Any advice?

OK, so...I could have sworn that when I reimplemented "spiraling down into anarchy" a year or so ago, I also implemented the referendum that goes along with it.

However, I can't find it at this point.

I'm afraid that right now, I'm about to be busy for the rest of the day, but I've made myself a note to get it working first thing tomorrow.

Sorry about this. Anarchy isn't something that happens often, so those parts of the code are much more likely to have holes in them.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: May 17, 2013, 05:54:14 AM »
OK, so...I could have sworn that when I reimplemented "spiraling down into anarchy" a year or so ago, I also implemented the referendum that goes along with it.

However, I can't find it at this point.

I'm afraid that right now, I'm about to be busy for the rest of the day, but I've made myself a note to get it working first thing tomorrow.

Sorry about this. Anarchy isn't something that happens often, so those parts of the code are much more likely to have holes in them.

lol.

And people wonder why I was hesitant to do this and wanted a manual change...

Maybe because this has, to my knowledge, never actually been done before.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: May 17, 2013, 12:04:06 PM »
Sure it has. How do you think Enweil's big crusade for democracy worked?

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #80: May 17, 2013, 04:52:27 PM »
Sure it has. How do you think Enweil's big crusade for democracy worked?

By rebellions I thought. Did you really do the spiral to anarchy? That's way less efficient than a rebellion.

ALSO:

A new referendum for ruler has been started. If a dev could please advise what I should do.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: May 17, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »
A new referendum for ruler has been started. If a dev could please advise what I should do.

Huh.

I advise you to run. This should allow you to reform the government, as you desire.

However, I believe it should also be considered a bug; no regular elections should run while the realm is in anarchy.

I'll tidy that up once I'm finished implementing the proper anarchy ruler election (which I've got about 3/4 done now).
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: May 17, 2013, 09:15:02 PM »
Huh.

I advise you to run. This should allow you to reform the government, as you desire.

However, I believe it should also be considered a bug; no regular elections should run while the realm is in anarchy.

I'll tidy that up once I'm finished implementing the proper anarchy ruler election (which I've got about 3/4 done now).

If it does not allow me to reform the government....

Do I have to go through this whole rigamarole again after you fix the code?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: May 17, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
If it does not allow me to reform the government....

Do I have to go through this whole rigamarole again after you fix the code?

I've looked through the relevant code, and unless something breaks in the referendum process itself (which isn't impossible, but I think is unlikely), you will be able to reform the government.

Basically, the logic of the game says, "If you're ruler, and the government system is Anarchy, you can reform the government."

That particular bit of code doesn't care how you got to that point.
Timothy Collett

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: May 17, 2013, 09:17:34 PM »
I've looked through the relevant code, and unless something breaks in the referendum process itself (which isn't impossible, but I think is unlikely), you will be able to reform the government.

Basically, the logic of the game says, "If you're ruler, and the government system is Anarchy, you can reform the government."

That particular bit of code doesn't care how you got to that point.

Sounds good.

Theocracy in t-minus 3...

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: May 20, 2013, 07:57:49 AM »
Well, Hireshmont is ruler now.

Unfortunately he's also wounded now.

Meh.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #86: May 24, 2013, 03:20:58 AM »
And, for posterity, let it be known:

This method of changing government type works.

Especially with the rulership established by a vote instead of by random claiming. In a one-duchy realm where the ruler is the duke, the ruler can change the government system basically at will (change ruler voting to dukes only, step down, wait for anarchy, run for office, vote for self, win, change government).

With multiple duchies or less concentrated power it'd be trickier.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: May 24, 2013, 03:48:52 AM »
And, for posterity, let it be known:

This method of changing government type works.

Especially with the rulership established by a vote instead of by random claiming. In a one-duchy realm where the ruler is the duke, the ruler can change the government system basically at will (change ruler voting to dukes only, step down, wait for anarchy, run for office, vote for self, win, change government).

With multiple duchies or less concentrated power it'd be trickier.

Be aware that once the proper anarchy vote is committed (it's implemented, I just didn't want to screw things up for you further by committing it while you were still working out the government), the anarchy ruler election will be among all nobles in the capital. Whoever is in the capital (and part of the realm) will be eligible to run, and eligible to vote. Leaving the capital will drop your name out of the running and cancel your votes.

So you won't have complete control even if you originally set the voting to Dukes-only.
Timothy Collett

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: May 24, 2013, 07:15:37 AM »
So you won't have complete control even if you originally set the voting to Dukes-only.

Sucks because this is how he won, otherwise Kale's loyalists inside Terran would've kept Hireshmont from re-election.

Not that the Church cared about the theocracy status in the end anyways, I guess.  :-\
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89: May 24, 2013, 01:26:50 PM »
Of course they did. If there hadn't been a planned change to theocracy, none of it would have happened.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.