Poll

What is your LEAST favorite of the BM continents? (Explain)

Atamara
17 (30.4%)
Beluaterra
3 (5.4%)
Colonies
9 (16.1%)
Dwilight
11 (19.6%)
East Continent
12 (21.4%)
Far East
4 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: LEAST favorite  (Read 15760 times)

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: LEAST favorite
« Reply #15: May 14, 2013, 07:28:51 PM »
Because SA is by definition unfun and anti-fun, obviously.

^This.

I find interesting how SA is so spread but is really not interesting. So far the only real interesting religion was the Golden Feather, when Silverhawk was around. Since he is gone, nothing happen.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #16: May 14, 2013, 07:37:53 PM »
^This.

I find interesting how SA is so spread but is really not interesting. So far the only real interesting religion was the Golden Feather, when Silverhawk was around. Since he is gone, nothing happen.

You do realize that the post you are quoting is being sarcastic, yes? And I'm sorry, but the only thing really holding SA together is the fact that the Prophet is still alive. If he were to die, everything changes. The entire Church would probably split into separate factions.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: May 14, 2013, 08:22:18 PM »
If you've been all around it, how can SA have prevented you from having any fun?

Seemed to do a good job of it in Astrum and Morek. The entire north of Dwilight has been locked in peace for lengthy times because of it (save for a few minor scuffles here and there).

The south has had other issues, mostly it's the crappy geography and how the realms shaped up.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: May 15, 2013, 12:34:46 AM »
You do realize that the post you are quoting is being sarcastic, yes? And I'm sorry, but the only thing really holding SA together is the fact that the Prophet is still alive. If he were to die, everything changes. The entire Church would probably split into separate factions.

I think there's another thing holding the church together: the fact that being big is fun. I'd hate to see a formal game-mechanics schism, not because it'd weaken the church or my characters, but because it would make intrigues less worthwhile and take away one of the most fun political arenas in BM.

I understand SA can make Dwilight less fun for people more into the strategy side, and maybe for players on the periphery. But for those of us who really like the religious game, the scheming, the politics, the world-creation side, SA is one of the real highlights of BM.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: May 15, 2013, 03:42:58 AM »
Let's try to keep it at least vaguely on topic, please. Not every thread has to be about Dwilight.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: May 15, 2013, 04:05:45 AM »
Let's try to keep it at least vaguely on topic, please. Not every thread has to be about Dwilight.

We're talking about why we like one continent more than another.

That's on topic.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: May 15, 2013, 04:21:18 AM »
No, you're defending SA after someone insulted it. That isn't the same.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #22: May 15, 2013, 04:44:35 AM »
No, you're defending SA after someone insulted it. That isn't the same.

It is when that's the reason why someone doesn't like the continent.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: May 15, 2013, 04:50:45 AM »
Arguable, but if it continues this way, it will turn into a thread about nothing but SA, like so many other threads before. It's like some BM-specific version of Godwin's Law. "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving SA or Aurvandil approaches 1."

Perhaps other people would like to talk about something else, rather than having the thread swamped by people who are insulted that anyone could possible dislike SA.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:53:27 AM by Velax »

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: May 15, 2013, 05:25:38 AM »
Arguable, but if it continues this way, it will turn into a thread about nothing but SA, like so many other threads before. It's like some BM-specific version of Godwin's Law. "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving SA or Aurvandil approaches 1."

Perhaps other people would like to talk about something else, rather than having the thread swamped by people who are insulted that anyone could possible dislike SA.
Then talk about something else. Talking about whether or not SA adds to the game is better than no chat at all.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: May 15, 2013, 06:11:21 AM »
I've played Atamara, East Continent, Beluaterra, colonies and Dwilight.

Didn't play for too long on EC or BT but the colonies was actually a lot of fun and a far different pace. Really good roleplayers there and the story of the game felt cohesive. I love Atamara, everyone who complains that you can't intrigue or it's gridlocked or blah blah blah forgets that you can't just jump in and start playing whatever you want, there's an extremely long history to Atamara. In the past the roleplaying was better, but nowadays its kinda stale... overall though Atamara has been really fun to play.

Dwilight is my least favourite. It started off great, Everguard got destroyed, I got bummed out, but I didn't rage quit and I played out my character. Nothing. Has happened. At all. SA spreading? Neat. It's completely detrimental to the flow in Dwilight. You can't do anything because you're either of the same faith or someone will contrive a reason to bring down the might of the theocracies on you. There was a lot of potential for Dwilight but it has flopped. I am amazed that theocracies don't fight each other, medieval nobles were always striving for more power and to secure a greater legacy but apparently everyone on Dwilight wants to have a tea party instead of roleplaying medieval nobility.

Dwilight feels like a tea party where we praise the stars and bow curtly to each other. The moment you try to drink your sugar with coffee and cream you're told that's inappropriate and forced to get a black tea instead. And the problem is it has attracted everyone in the game who wants to play tea party, the nonspeakers who don't do anything won't change the status quo, and everyone else is far too content to say "greetings and salutations brother!"

Medieval nobles were only concerned with gaining more power. Anyone who was stagnant found their wine poisoned and titles stolen.

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: May 15, 2013, 06:15:11 AM »
I think we cannot try to stay strict on topic when we are at BM General Talk.  It is general, it will lead to one or other subject and we will discuss many things in the process. SA is a good discussion. Of course we know who will defend it, but we can be surprised at who will disagree.
Disagreements is what makes the world go around, not money. And its good.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: May 15, 2013, 06:17:06 AM »
I like your post BarticaBoat.
I never was in Atamara but Tali always told me how good it was. Tali and a few others...

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: May 15, 2013, 07:10:21 AM »
You can't do anything because you're either of the same faith or someone will contrive a reason to bring down the might of the theocracies on you. (...)

Medieval nobles were only concerned with gaining more power. Anyone who was stagnant found their wine poisoned and titles stolen.

So, I understand your point is that there is a set of character who are not interested in gaining power, which is wrong, and that this set of characters is too powerful?

Gee, I wonder where they got all that power they didn't seek.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: May 15, 2013, 07:24:17 AM »
Dwilight is my all time favorite.

I have a love/hate relationship with Atamara. The continent is dumb most of the time, but it was my first BM love.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)