Author Topic: Unfinished Martyr subclass  (Read 6104 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Unfinished Martyr subclass
« Topic Start: May 25, 2013, 08:16:23 PM »
so the Martyr subclass has gone undeveloped for a while now. I had some thoughts as to how that might be worked out.

1. The Martyr can choose to preach to armies in order raise the moral and cohesion of any troops that are led by a member of their religion. In addition they have the ability "Last rights" in which they are present at battles seeing that dieing members of their faith receive proper death rites. They must activate this ability before the battle. This raises moral and cohesion even more but carries with it the risk that the Martyr will be killed in battle.

2. The Martyr functions much like a normal troop leader, however when telling tales there is a slight chance that they will convert a few peasants to their faith as well as raise moral. However they will not have any of the other priest abilities.

Also I'd suggest calling it something other then Martyr. I'd go with Battle Abbot for option 1 and Paladin for option 2.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 08:18:00 PM by pcw27 »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Unfinished Martyr subclass
« Reply #1: May 25, 2013, 08:22:16 PM »
There is no "unfinished Martyr subclass."

"Martyr" is just another flavor-name for hero.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 25, 2013, 08:34:45 PM »
But the Priest Hero combination as far as I know has no difference from a regular priest, so it's not a very attractive combination to take.

It actually takes away one of the defining characteristics of a hero (the ability to die in battle) since priests can't participate in battles.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 25, 2013, 08:50:28 PM »
A Priest/Hero can still tell tales. ;)

You are correct, though, in that the combination has no particular merit. I've always been a fan of allowing priest/heroes to die if they get too bad of a beating when preaching or performing other priest actions. Maybe compensate by giving them a slightly higher conversion rate when preaching.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 25, 2013, 08:52:30 PM »
We do have plans to improve the Hero subclass generally, and its synergy with various main classes; however, it's not high on the list.

And I'm afraid even when it is improved, it'll still just be called "Priest/Hero"...not "Battle Abbot."
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 25, 2013, 08:52:36 PM »
How do they tell tales if they're never in battle?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 25, 2013, 09:06:39 PM »
Tell tales of battle long ago? Expound on the exploits of other heroes of the faith?

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 25, 2013, 09:24:14 PM »
I meant gameplay wise as a hero you need to have been in a battle recently to tell tales right?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 25, 2013, 09:35:12 PM »
I never bothered to track that.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 25, 2013, 10:05:58 PM »
Oh, I played a hero for a while and I'm pretty sure you get the ability more often if you've been in a battle.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 26, 2013, 08:21:55 AM »
I've always been a fan of allowing priest/heroes to die if they get too bad of a beating when preaching or performing other priest actions. Maybe compensate by giving them a slightly higher conversion rate when preaching.

Sounds cool.

Then the Martyr RP label would be appropriate!
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #11: May 26, 2013, 11:46:34 AM »
I meant gameplay wise as a hero you need to have been in a battle recently to tell tales right?

No

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #12: May 26, 2013, 09:03:21 PM »
No

*yells out loudly to the other gunners* Let's go people! The Aircraft Carrier Cannon isn't going to load itself!

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 26, 2013, 10:15:58 PM »
I've always been a fan of allowing priest/heroes to die if they get too bad of a beating when preaching or performing other priest actions. Maybe compensate by giving them a slightly higher conversion rate when preaching.

And yeah, this is a good idea right here.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: May 28, 2013, 01:52:36 PM »
But the Priest Hero combination as far as I know has no difference from a regular priest, so it's not a very attractive combination to take.

It actually takes away one of the defining characteristics of a hero (the ability to die in battle) since priests can't participate in battles.

Priest/Hero is a badass class combination. It gives the priest all of the heroes' perks and none of its drawbacks (ability to die in combat). Well, it does leave you with one drawback, the inability to change subclasses again...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron