Author Topic: Fane  (Read 69739 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Fane
« Reply #90: June 13, 2013, 03:46:22 PM »
OOC, I can see many benefits in Fane continuing to exist. Speaking as a player, I don't really see what will be added to the game by Sirion destroying Fane, beyond Sirion saying, "Woo-hoo, we got another chunk of land". It's painfully obvious that Sirion is already too big. They only have loose control over Commonyr much of the time, even though the regional lord (lady in that case) spends most of her time there. They're getting close to the point where the realm's going to have to split.
Sirion has held it before. I do't see why they couldn't again. They may not get much taxes out of it, but it's not all about taxes.

It's fairly clear that the next big war is going to have to be either Sirion vs Perdan, or Sirion vs Caligus. Once either Perdan or Caligus wins the southern war, there won't be anyone else big enough for them to bother fighting except Sirion. The same applies to Sirion in the north - the only realms for them to fight will be either Perdan or Caligus.
Sirion v. Perdan would be a boring war. To start with, Westmoor is in the middle. Makes life difficult for Westmoor, for however long they would last before becoming roadkill. After that... boredom would set in. Perdan couldn't break through Sirion's Maginot Line, and Sirion wouldn't really be able to hurt Perdan at all, due to the choke point in Bescanon.

Sirion v. Caligus... Another boring war, because Caligus would get reamed. Don't get me wrong, Caligus is pretty scrappy, and can put up a good fight. But they're just not in Sirion's league.

Sirion and Caligus vs Armonia and Eponllyn is a possibility, but it would mostly be a long-range war.
That..... is not even remotely possible.

But Perdan currently seems to be making mince-meat out of the south.
Aye, Perdan is doing quite well for themselves. Mostly due to the complete lack of coordination on the part of the allied forces.

Allowing Fane to exist will create a more interesting dynamic in the north, and is no threat to Sirion because it's too small. There would also be the potential for Sirion to possibly gain and cultivate Fane as an ally, depending on the approach they took.
If they're too small to be a threat, then what good are they as an ally? Essentially, anything that makes someone a good ally, also makes them a dangerous threat.

On the other hand, Sirion can't gain much more land before all of the realms on the continent see them as the greatest threat and someone initiates another mass war against them. Bad news for Sirion, especially because they've been losing nobles.
Sounds like a good reason for Sirion to take Oligarch, then! :D
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.