Author Topic: Toughts about Rasicism, Sexism, Homophobia in game?  (Read 7169 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
How people can be offended in an OOC way if you are racist towards their ingame region or people baffles me.

The problem recently was with someone describing their scribe in such a manner that it was unmistakable which RL ethnic group they were talking about, and implying that they were lazy because of that ethnicity. No IG ethnic group was referenced in any way.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Delinquent

• Peasant
    • View Profile
As with anything, you have to sit down and look at what you're about to do.

Is it edgy? Okay, fine. Is this in good taste? Yes, go ahead. No? Rework it. Would this be offensive on a totally IC level, and not an OOC level? Yes? Good. And the most important question you need to ask yourself: Am I being an ass with this RP/letter/etc? If the answer is yes, scrap it until you can not be an ass about it.

Then you never have to worry.

This is great advice and I agree wholeheartedly. The problem with bias though is that you don't know you have it. It seems normal and right to you. (The you I use is the plural general you) I've always thought of myself as tolerant and non-racist etc, but at times I have reflected on my thoughts and have blushed at my prejudice. Life is messy and we all are imperfect. I'm not excusing bad behaviour, just that we can learn and grow and become better.

And Tom, racism, sexism and other forms of prejudice are alive and well in 2013 in every part of the world I have visited. I see it often in my life and have been the 'victim' on the odd occasion. I am a white female, middle aged and I am shocked by my children's peers behaviour often. I work in a professional environment with a culture that actively promotes equality etc and I still see it there. I do think we have moved forward and it is tolerated much less then in my youth and certainly much less then in my parent's youth.

In regards to BM, I agree with much of what has been said. This is a game and not a place to grind an axe. We can roleplay in game intolerances in a tasteful way, I am sure. For example, sexism in a realm, if roleplayed and developed as a culture would be interesting and even entertaining. An Amazon Warrior group of female characters or an all male realm would be okay with me, even some gender slurs, as long as it's developed and has a background story and is in the spirit of the game and not a player agenda. Of course their would be in game offence taken and a conflict to fix the bad attitude of the offending realm etc. Sounds like a good storyline if done well.

I have met a Noble who is a pig of a man, sexist and has a huge ego. Thinks he is a ladies man and they drop at his feet etc. Again, it is done well and I love the roleplay. It was tasteful and fun to watch.

Let's have some fun!
Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common.
Satchel Paige

egamma

How people can be offended in an OOC way if you are racist towards their ingame region or people baffles me.

It's when IG racism is really thinly-veiled OOC racism that people get offended.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 07:05:31 AM by egamma »

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
The discussion isn't about cognitive biases, it's about the use of bigotry as a literary device and the overwhelming consensus seems to be that it is not wanted even under the pretense of medieval authenticity. Nobody cares if Robin Hood hated the Irish or whoever. If we were playing Monopoly, you wouldn't start blurting out racial epithets simply because you believe that most 'monopolists' are bigots. I suppose some people can get away with it. Maybe you know somebody who can say outrageous things without causing offence, even though anyone else might be flayed for saying the same thing. If that's you, congratulations. But if you're having a discussion about it, you're probably not one of those people. If you want to push boundaries for effect, do it at your own risk.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Yeah, I've never seen anybody get upset about calling Caglians or Arcaeans Imperial scum before.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
*Puts on his Magistrate hat*

The golden rule is this:

If someone contacts you and informs you that something did or said offended them, then politely apologize and modify your behavior accordingly. We're all friends here, and friends respect each other's sensibilities even if they're not shared.

As with all things there are probably exceptions, but for the most part it is that simple. On the flip side, if you as a player are offended by something, please contact the other player privately, politely express your concerns, and ask them not to do it again. If in this manner you are unable to resolve the issue directly with the other player, then you may bring it to the Magistrates or the Titans for resolution.