Author Topic: Great Dwilight War:Astrum defeats Asylon and Farronite forces.  (Read 267517 times)

Leybrook

• Peasant
  • House Pohjanen
    • View Profile
Because sometimes switching your allegiance can be the honorable thing to do.
I can probably agree with Indirik's statement that it would overcomplicate game mechanics and best for in-game enforcement, but your claim of honourable oath breaking is a different one all together. In a serious medieval setting, it can never be 'the honourable thing to do'. The reason why you broke your oath doesn't matter, such a question is irrelevant, as oath breaking is not just breaking a social taboo, a mere promise of fealty, committing perjury, or treason against your liege. An oathbreaker in medieval times was traitor to the very Gods themselves (guaranteed a seat next to Judas and Satan), causing great dishonour and consequently denoting you as the lowest of the low; an accursed, even filthy peasants could kill you with impunity.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 02:05:58 PM by Leybrook »

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
I can probably agree with Indirik's statement that it would overcomplicate game mechanics and best for in-game enforcement, but your claim of honourable oath breaking is a different one all together. In a serious medieval setting, it can never be 'the honourable thing to do'. The reason why you broke your oath doesn't matter, such a question is irrelevant, as oath breaking is not just breaking a social taboo, a mere promise of fealty, committing perjury, or treason against your liege. An oathbreaker in medieval times was traitor to the very Gods themselves (guaranteed a seat next to Judas and Satan), causing great dishonour and consequently denoting you as the lowest of the low; an accursed, even filthy peasants could kill you with impunity.

Unless the party changing allegiance felt that their liege had broken their end of the oath. I'll also point to the countless examples of vassals rebelling, etc throughout the middle ages who weren't viewed as Judas -esque (unless they lost).
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Leybrook

• Peasant
  • House Pohjanen
    • View Profile
Unless the party changing allegiance felt that their liege had broken their end of the oath. I'll also point to the countless examples of vassals rebelling, etc throughout the middle ages who weren't viewed as Judas -esque (unless they lost).
Firstly, you can not break what has already been broken, true. Secondly, please do not think I am stopping you from listing those countless examples (of medieval vassals who outright broke their oaths of fealty and were still viewed as honourable).

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Firstly, you can not break what has already been broken, true. Secondly, please do not think I am stopping you from listing those countless examples (of medieval vassals who outright broke their oaths of fealty and were still viewed as honourable).

He never said they were viewed as honorable just that they didn't become Judaesque pariahs.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Karibash has 210 men!  He's like a one-man army.

But only 1500 cs.

Leybrook

• Peasant
  • House Pohjanen
    • View Profile
He never said they were viewed as honorable just that they didn't become Judaesque pariahs.
And I never said they were viewed as Judasesque, just that they're guaranteed seats next to Judas and Satan, which was a reference to 'Divine Comedy' by Dante.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
In a serious medieval setting, it can never be 'the honourable thing to do'.

Sure it can.

Your liege fails to uphold his end of the vassal-liege agreement.
Your liege becomes a heretic or pagan.

Two quick examples.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
In a serious medieval atmosphere, honor is just a word.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
It would have been better if I hadn't forgotten to click the Delay Arrival link... :(

For one brief, shining moment I thought that was desperation. Then I saw the forces that'd just landed in the city and realized Brance was just bringing us lube.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Leybrook

• Peasant
  • House Pohjanen
    • View Profile
Sure it can.

Your liege fails to uphold his end of the vassal-liege agreement.
Your liege becomes a heretic or pagan.

Two quick examples.

I just realized I must have misread your previous post; I thought we were discussing a vassal breaking an oath outright, rather than the simple case of switching allegiances after the feudal contract had already been forfeited. My fault, apologies. To reiterate what I have previously stated: you can not break what has already been broken, so I agree with you.

It shouldn't be, especially in SMA.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 09:03:22 PM by Leybrook »

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile

Shouldn't be the opposite?
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Shouldn't be the opposite?

Sacha's idea of SMA is that every single character should be looking for how he can betray every other character—especially the ones he owes fealty to—for his own advantage, all the time.

So, in other words, it's just like Game of Thrones.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Jeez Tim, it's been 2 years, surely your butthole has healed by now. If that were true, I'd have taken the dozen or so earlier opportunities presented to me to shaft Alanna, instead of saving her ass. And technically, Amaury never actually betrayed her. The first time he got banned after Fulco sold him out, and the second time you rage-paused after finding out OOC that all three of your Dukes were ready to kick you out, kthxbai.

What I was saying was that words, oaths, deals, agreements and pacts were broken constantly in the Middle Ages. In the end an oath is only as solid as as the ones enforcing it.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
In the end an oath is only as solid as as the ones enforcing it.

As is almost everything else.
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Karibash has 210 men!  He's like a one-man army.
That he is  8)

But only 1500 cs.
I seriously hope you don't think that the offensive capabilities of a unit are the sole purpose for recruiting one? How about Karibash sits out the next battle and you can see what it's like to lose 50% of your infantry?  ;D

Sacha's idea of SMA is that every single character should be looking for how he can betray every other character—especially the ones he owes fealty to—for his own advantage, all the time.

So, in other words, it's just like Game of Thrones.
I, for one, really dislike this Game of Thrones mentality in BM.