Author Topic: Great Dwilight War:Astrum defeats Asylon and Farronite forces.  (Read 267489 times)

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Not everyone wanted this war.
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

sharkattack

• Knight
    • View Profile
Did Niselur just suicide their army or what?

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
Asylon is having fun in this war. Who cares if Astrum got 2 or 3 extra players. Astrum has a long standing reputation as a strong military realm. Niselur has absolutely no reputation at all really brcause for 99% of its history it sat in the north west corner of Dwilight and did nothing. This is your time to build your reputation and from the sounds of your last post Niselur is already getting ready to fold up shop and the war hasnt even started yet. This is the time you either rise as king and lords of your lands and show people that you will bring something to the grand banquet of Dwilight history or crumble like a cake. People are watching and waiting to see how Niselur reacts and takes a few bloody noses, once you show that you are here to fight, people take notice.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Arrakis, what did you expect, a massive increase in the amount of players? The only way to achieve that is through other forums, otherwise it will always remain the randomn one or two nobles that join the realm in the normal fashion, having a war will increase the odds for this to happen, but Niselur has only been at war for a couple of weeks, whereas other realms have been in several wars constantly and have thus managed to attract the players looking for a realm, in the past.

If you had been the only realm fighting against Astrum, I'm sure nobody would have bothered joining Astrum and several people might've joined Niselur, but now Astrum is the underdog realm (damn it looks so much smaller already), and people like joining underdog realms.

It's the Great Dwilight War, pretty much every realm is at war and is campaigning, and even as a knight, I think it's pretty fun, with the Saffalorians joining Barca, we now have more than 3 nobles per region which is pretty insane for a realm with dirt-poor regions. But hey, we'll be getting quite a few new ones now at least from Aurvandil.

It's clear the war has at least one positive effect, as it has revived Astrum. Hopefully they keep it fun this time and don't make everyone pause their characters to boredom again.

---

ninja'd by glaumring, my post is in the same line as his in some ways

edit:

Looking at realm statistics, it looks like niselur is doing fine, your noble count has gone up. Maybe you should consider not-expanding. It doesn't really seem necessary to take over all those regions when you're already with a surplus of regions without lords. Just pillage and kill, or consider losing some regions, or split your realm because, damn it's quite large.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:26:32 PM by Wolfang »

Zakilevo

The locals are grateful for defeating the evil forces plaguing their region.
Even peasants know Niselur is evil!  8)

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
They say if you build it they will come. We've built it but it doesn't seem like anyone is coming.

Oh, there's definitely some people coming.  8)

I think all this time while Astrum had been protecting you from the dangers of the rest of Dwilight, you turned into spoiled brats who just wanted to have a little fun. So you stab your friendly protective neighbor in the back, because like a bully you've got your friends backing you up so you feel a little tougher than you actually are.

Only what you've actually done is woken the dragon. And now "fun" has arrived to play with you, just like you always wanted.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
...while Niselur's count has pretty much remained the same. This is a big wtf for me and not what I expected. For some reason Astrum is all of a sudden the most popular realm around. I wonder where all those SA/Astrum haters are, or it simply seems that the community doesn't have any players to spare anymore. In either case, it's no good for Niselur if we can't go above 20 players and this irritates me quite a bit. They say if you build it they will come. We've built it but it doesn't seem like anyone is coming.

Astrum has the church to recruit from. The word gets out faster that way. This is made very evident by the reactivation of several astroists who'd been big players a couple years ago but have since gone dark.

Your country has a large number of newer players so they're unlikely to have connections in and out of game by which to inform people that there's an interesting war going on they might want to get involved in.

You probably would have been better off treating this withdrawal from the federation in a manner similar to a rebellion. You could have founded a secret society based on combatting religious fundamentalism and thereby built up a support base. Imagine if you'd gotten a duke or two on board willing to secede their duchies in support of the war.

The idea that you'll start a war and people will rush to your side isn't working out because most of the key motivations to join just aren't there. They won't be helping an underdog because now Astrum is the one getting ganged up on. They won't join for easy conquests because that's Asylon's department.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
Astrums army and economy, realm size, noble count since forever have been through the roof for a long long time. If you decide to take on Astrum be ready for a slog. Asylons strategy in the last two wars was essentially just to turtle up and allow Astrum to pound on us until it was exhausted and wanted peace out of boredom. But thats how we survived, it might not be a glorious strategy but it isnt about glory, its about survival, killing and bloody slogging muddy quagmire horrors of war. For the first time in Dwilight history we have a good chance to make Astrum turtle under our blows and all we need to do us focus, communicate and be relatively active.

Trust me, the long beautiful drawn out strategies of war like a chess game with ebb and flow like a macabre dance will dash every thought of peace or glory from your mind, when after a while you have slept in only your armour for weeks, your sword almost your arm and your eyes see a thousand miles like black rimmed coals only then will you know war and be servant of battle.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
The locals are grateful for defeating the evil forces plaguing their region.
Even peasants know Niselur is evil!  8)

Ha ha, it's cause there was a monster group in the region too, but no matter, it's great propaganda.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
Bah! The men of Astrum bleed... They can be beaten!

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Well, the monsters didn't fight in the battle AFAIK, so the evil forces must be the defeated Niselurians!  :P

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
But thats how we survived, it might not be a glorious strategy but it isnt about glory, its about survival, killing and bloody slogging muddy quagmire horrors of war.

What? For the longest time you've been trumpeting that "who cares if we lose, GLORIOUS WAR!!!"

Keep the story straight, please.

As for the whole deal about the war starting to favor Astrum...what'd you expect when you aligned with questionably likeable characters such as Glaumring or Jonsu? Granted, it might have been balanced out with a Kabrinski and Vellos...but both are still pretty good at rallying up people behind them. The former two are kind of notorious for being quite the opposite. Maybe the answer to the noble count mystery is somewhere along those lines.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
What? For the longest time you've been trumpeting that "who cares if we lose, GLORIOUS WAR!!!"

Glaumring hasn't kept his story straight for two consecutive weeks the entire time he's been a public figure on Dwilight. Why on earth do you think he would start now...?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
You realize that we're talking about Glaumring here, right...  Keeping it straight isn't his greatest strength  :P
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I wonder who'd win in a crazy contest between Glaumring and Kas.