Author Topic: Messages and Metagaming  (Read 21007 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Messages and Metagaming
« Reply #45: July 05, 2013, 11:01:04 PM »
Right now, as it stands, infiltrators are ninjas. I'd love for that to change but, as of now, they're ninja-nobles.

No, they're not. If they could be invisible, you'd have a case, but they can't.

No, I'm arguing for ambiguity.

You're arguing for unnecessary ambiguity, from unreasonable quarters.

As I see it, you're arguing that our characters live in a world where the game mechanics are their fundamental reality: that nobody had religions until religion was implemented, nobody ate food until food was implemented, the planet had no seasons until seasons were implemented, the manner in which food is consumed has been revolutionized several times, etc. You're making an argument which, to me, is as fallacious as the old High Tech Battlemaster joke page.

Except that the High Tech Game has so many holes in it, it's obviously just a joke.

Furthermore, I'm not arguing all that. I'm arguing that there was no uniform formal structure to religion, or any ability to use religion to influence the peasantry before religion was implemented. I'm arguing that nobody starved before food was implemented. I'm arguing that on the continents that still don't have seasons active (which is most of them), there's no regular variation in how much food is harvested per day throughout the year.

The mechanics are best-attempt proxies for the world our characters live in. And sometimes, the mechanics are insufficient guides, or incoherent guides, or contradictory guides, or even broken guides in the case of bugs. And when those things happen, you find a way to fix it with RP. And where the game, players, or some mixture of those two becomes complicated, confusing, "nefarious," the leeway for RP can, does, and should expand.

That doesn't mean you get to force everyone else to accept your character's word over a game-mechanic report.
That doesn't mean you get to force everyone else to believe that even though everyone knows perfectly well who attacked Duke Kepler, not only should our characters not know this, they shouldn't even suspect it, because look! there's an alternate hypothesis that plays into the notion that peasants always lie and nobles always tell the truth!!!

I'm sorry, Vellos, but again, if you had picked situations in which to attempt to advance this philosophy that could conceivably be said to provide engaging conflict or good RP, I'd be much more inclined to agree that you have some sort of a point. As it is, your "appeal to RP" rings hollow. Oradrikkon was not only asking our characters to believe utterly ludicrous things, he was asking that we completely dismiss the obvious answer. And I think much less of Morgan for entertaining the notion for longer than 5 seconds.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan