Author Topic: Use of IRC logs as evidence  (Read 2432 times)

Chaotrance13

Use of IRC logs as evidence
« Topic Start: July 10, 2013, 01:24:43 AM »
I've had a thought based on my case that I raised, and it's linked to the logs though it's also possibly a wider consideration that may need to go in Q+A.

1) Can IRC evidence even be accepted given it could be tampered with in Notepad or the like? I'm not saying this is the case here but it can happen. Other kinds of evidence like in-game messages, Skype logs and Facebook messages are not easily interfered with and are a "safer" bet. To my recollection this is the first time it's been presented in a Magistrates case at least in public. Have IRC logs been accepted by the Titans in the past, or in private when using the Magistrates?

2) Based on the fact that these logs seem to be either a private channel or a query/PM between the two of them what bearing does it have on the clauses of the Social Contract? For example, there's a couple of lines where there are accusations of cheating but as it seems to be a private conversation that would nullify Clause 2's "Cheating" line. While I don't agree with how this was presented in the case I have running, it's a valid point. But as we're focusing more on Clause 3 which is the Personal Information clause (namely you won't give out the personal information of others to third parties) as Lavigna rudely pointed out, can the logs be used assuming IRC evidence has the green light?