Author Topic: Show prominent families origins at region info  (Read 7126 times)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
Show prominent families origins at region info
« Topic Start: April 21, 2011, 10:41:46 PM »
To add more depth and role-play value to culture and the place you your in: show what (famous) nobles families come from the region your in and be able to access there family page from there and perhaps even leave a message at the family home?
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

songqu88@gmail.com

Current or all? Because some regions might have a very long list...

Zakilevo

How about listing those families with over 10 fame? or 15?

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Current or all? Because some regions might have a very long list...

Thats why i bracketed Famous.
Indeed it's useless to show new families.
Above 10 or 15 fame or a year of playing it becomes worthwhile to look a family up.

Hard to code?

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
I like the idea of this. More I like where this thought process comes from.

Anything to add more story/culture/sine of history directly to the game itself through regions/maps/etc. is something I am all for.

In fact, some more brainstorming on other ways to accomplish this would be wonderful. New thread perhaps?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I like the idea of this. More I like where this thought process comes from.

Anything to add more story/culture/sine of history directly to the game itself through regions/maps/etc. is something I am all for.

In fact, some more brainstorming on other ways to accomplish this would be wonderful. New thread perhaps?

lets see what the coders think of it.
We can make up alot but they can't all code it.
If they could give us more guidelines on what is easy and what not, we could start brainstorming.

songqu88@gmail.com

I'd say fame 20 and above, though that might just encourage famehunting to have the name on a region. On the other hand, family homes are already visible on the family page. Yet, if a hero moved the family home, the family page doesn't show all the homes the family has been in. In the world where noble families were more important than any individuals, one would think that the family homes would be visible more so than any individual's home in a region. But as it is now, there are no individual recognitions except perhaps through legacy of region description, and family homes only show the most recent one.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
How about this?

For every region, a family name shows up if it is among the 3 most famous families in that region, and its fame is above 15.

The 3 and 15 marks can be balanced, but the idea is that in regions with high competition, you'd need to be the most famous to stand out.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

songqu88@gmail.com

* Artemesia looks at the regions he's in.

Alright, time to make some more heroes and send them into battles against overwhelming enemy numbers. I gotta go insult someone too enough to get a death duel, hopefully against someone who can't use a sword. What else...oh, gotta collect more items to get prestige up! The intensity flares, competitive spirit rises for the almighty goal of having my name immortalized in the region!

Though in all seriousness, that probably won't be the mindset of most people.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
* Artemesia looks at the regions he's in.

Alright, time to make some more heroes and send them into battles against overwhelming enemy numbers. I gotta go insult someone too enough to get a death duel, hopefully against someone who can't use a sword. What else...oh, gotta collect more items to get prestige up! The intensity flares, competitive spirit rises for the almighty goal of having my name immortalized in the region!

Though in all seriousness, that probably won't be the mindset of most people.

exactly.
I also see no problem with showing all families form that region, or from a basic fame level.
We could eve make a new tab called history showing all these kind of info.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
This would be VERY cool.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I agree.  This would be totally awesome.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
It would indeed be awesome!
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Maybe next to the Family name, it could have the noble from the family with the most honor and prestige at the moment. Or another variation is any legendary nobles that have died from the family.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I also see no problem with showing all families form that region, or from a basic fame level.

And if there were, say, 50 families from the same region? You'd almost certainly lose most names of significance in all the noise.

I think Foundation's idea of showing a few of the most famous is a good compromise. After all, if everyone in a region is famous, then only the /most/ famous would really stand out. Let the game do the sifting out of the less famous families. After all, the Fame stat is supposed to tell us how famous the family is. Let it do its job and filter the wheat from the chaff. If you really want to know where a specific family comes from, the info is easy enough to find through their family pages.

Or another variation is any legendary nobles that have died from the family.

That would require the game to keep track of /where/ a noble dies. It does not do that. making it do that would probably be a significant change.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.